Old 10 September 2019, 21:10   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Quicksilver Laser 2 Prop on DF140?

Hi, has / is anyone on here running a quicksilver laser 2 or similar prop on a Suzuki DF140?

I have the above and bodged a prop thrust washer out of scrap but I'd like to find the correct means of fitting the prop properly (excuse the pun)

Does anyone here run this set up and if so where did you source the correct fitting kit?

Also be interested to find out whether the combination is any good? I'm trying it on a Ribcraft 585. So far my only experience is finding the setup is over ventilated and I need to source bungs of some kind to blank of the vent holes in the hub of the prop to prevent this.

Thanks
Old 10 September 2019, 21:30   #2

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
No experience of running a laser 2 prop on Suzuki but you can get a flow torq hub kit & PVS plugs for the prop online [emoji106]
Old 12 September 2019, 17:07   #3

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
I bought a laser 2 prop off ebay, and a flo torque hub, but the dia of the prop hub seems too big for the engine. Not had the time to fiddle with it. I would be interested in how you get on. What dia / pitch is yours?
Old 12 September 2019, 20:30   #4

Mine is a 13.25 x 20" pitch which should be OK.

I think I have to make 3 small groves in the Suzuki thrust washer to accommodate the slightly wider internal roots of the prop blades but the hub body seems spot on with mine, exactly the same as the Suzuki genuine props.

After some reading I think I just need to block off the ventilation holes which I will do with some square bungs as its the earlier style prop with square holes rather than the later PVS one with adjustable round holes
Old 13 September 2019, 00:24   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Sorry for heading off track here but I'm looking at buying a 505 Gemini with a 140 Suzuki and wondered what sort of performance you are getting with a 20 pitch. I only enquired on the boat last night, which is an 18hr drive each way from where I live, hence why I would like a little info from someone using rather than selling. This one is a 2013 pre lean burn I believe.
Old 13 September 2019, 21:53   #6

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Mine is a 13.25 x 20" pitch which should be OK.

I think I have to make 3 small groves in the Suzuki thrust washer to accommodate the slightly wider internal roots of the prop blades but the hub body seems spot on with mine, exactly the same as the Suzuki genuine props.

After some reading I think I just need to block off the ventilation holes which I will do with some square bungs as its the earlier style prop with square holes rather than the later PVS one with adjustable round holes

Ok. The standard ali prop for a DF 140 is 3x14x21, and this is what I run on my RC585. The SS prop I have is the same. Is that wrong?
Old 16 September 2019, 19:29   #7

No nothing wrong with that. To date I've been running a Suzuki aluminium 19" and 21" pitch prop. The 21 is fine for fishing etc but in very poor weather or heavily loaded with dive kit and / or people it wont plane very easily in which case the 19" is a better prop.

Hence I wanted a 20" to see if it was a good compromise...

Only 1 day out with the 20" now and very pleased with the performance and grip now I've altered the thrust washer slightly and blanked off the ventilation holes. Getting 32 knots at 5000 rpm which should be around 7% prop slip. Accelerates nicely to 6150 rpm.

Out of interest does anyone have or know where I can still buy the correct blanks ... part number 19220A4 ... as per attached photo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19220A4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	130817  
Old 16 September 2019, 19:33   #8

Jon P, that engine is newer than mine (2002) but not too dissimilar.

I like mine, it picks up quickly, quiet and light on fuel. My generation of 140 is the same as the 90 and 115 but with the addition of more things that could potentially go wrong such as air intake cooler and oil cooler. If I'd know that and had the choice I may have looked for a 115, I know the oil cooler has given some folk grief.
Old 17 September 2019, 00:15   #9

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Jon P, that engine is newer than mine (2002) but not too dissimilar.

I like mine, it picks up quickly, quiet and light on fuel. My generation of 140 is the same as the 90 and 115 but with the addition of more things that could potentially go wrong such as air intake cooler and oil cooler. If I'd know that and had the choice I may have looked for a 115, I know the oil cooler has given some folk grief.
I've owned a 2014 Suzuki 90 which was good but the 140 on a 5m Gemini should be able to run at lower rpm and therefore have simular fuel range ( possibly ).

Thanks for the reply.