Old 29 January 2016, 11:34   #1

Town: Cape Town
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 3cyl 2str
Pulled the trigger - bought first rib! Any info on this motor?

Scored a great deal on this today from an old man who bought a house with a boat - sold it to me for less than what the motors sell for here..

Anyway - Any info on this motor? i think its a 89-92 model (guessing).. Are they good?

Also - what pre run checks can I do.. its been standing for about 2 years.. And am i right but it looks like it has trim/tilt as well?

Thanks!

Old 29 January 2016, 12:23   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
At work here so photobucket is firewalled - I'm sure someone will be along later to ID it for you.....

First check - does it turn?
then Check for spark. (it would be worth changing the plugs regardless)
Carb could be gummed up - if it;s 89 there is a chance it;s 2- stroke (can't tell 'till I get home!), but might be worth pulling the carb(s) off and giving them a good clean - even if it is neat fuel (oil injection or 4- stroke) if they had been left full there will be gunk in there.

then stick it in a bucket and see if it goes!
Old 29 January 2016, 12:27   #3

is this the same engine i answered you on yesterday on a different post? the pics aren't working currently to confirm.

since you have bought it without it running you have a total crab shoot here unfortunately. not running in 2 years is not uncommon but depending on how it was stored will depend on how likley it is to run well.

at the very minimum, check the mounts (if shot i would seriously consider spending any money on it at this point), take plugs out and spin the flywheel by hand, assuming it isn't seized then some 2 stroke down the bores and spin it over a few times by hand.

check all electrical connectors, PTT if it has it to make sure no rust or any obvious signs of problems before you hook a battery up.

hook the battery up and see if you can crank it over (killcord out!!) to oil everything up a little. PTT check too at this point worth doing.

compression tester is really handy here, depending on the numbers will depend on how or if you proceed down the list. if you don't have one then skip to next.

clean/replace the plugs accordingly.

get some fresh fuel in a small tank, mix some oil in fuel at desired ratio, if it is an oil injection motor with a seperate tank then i would still add some oil to the fuel until you confirm the oil injection pump is working. worst case it will smoke a little but it is better than the other scenario with no oil if the pump (if it has one) doesn't work.

drain the carb fuel float bowl.

you may see a lot of fuel out the carb when primmed due to seal or stuck float given time it has been sitting. a light tap normally fixes it or strip/clean accordingly.

if you can put it in and out of gear whilst started, take prop off if in a barrel.

if you have no water coming out of engine then do not run it long!

if happy with all of the above then i would change the gearbox oil, impeller, new plugs, drain and replace the oil injection tank oil, change fuel filters and rebuild the carbs.

if all the above checks out and no adverse bearing rumbles/gearbox issues then you are golden.

any reliable engine is a good un on a boat, many happy nautical miles
Old 29 January 2016, 12:54   #4

great thanks Xk59D, its not the same motor, no - but same family i guess, and make too - ironically.. this came up and I couldnt pass it over.

9D280 its a mariner with the orange stripes and looks like a split case cover.. anyway - you can use a free proxy to view pics.. maybe try this one: https://hide.me/en/proxy and enter the link to the image in there.. maybe itll work..

Thanks again Xk59D - ill check thru it all and see.. what about the electrical components / cdi - are they pretty reliable? I have a comp gauge.. just have to connect a old plug with hole drilled thru it and check..
Old 29 January 2016, 13:23   #5

i've only had a couple of cdi's fail in 20 years plus of boating. i wouldn't worry about it, fire it up and you will know is all you can do. this is the drawback with buying something not seen running.

you will need to make sure the tubes hold air, transom/deck etc are all okay etc, just normal things if you have owned a boat before?

one thing, that big steel plate on the transom, that is normally a sign of trying to strengthen the transom. why it has been done can range from engine too big/heavy or the transom is weak or even trying to prevent the transom becoming weak, you will definetely need to check that out.
Old 29 January 2016, 13:31   #6

havent owned a boat no - but i do have tons of common sense.. i think a 4.5 . 60 isnt too bad off course, ill double check - the more info i have the better.. i paid for this what the motors worth so def a score. Current owner got it free with the house he bought so prob didnt value it enough. Anyway - Ive paid..

The color is nice cos it shouldnt warm up too much - that was one buying thing, and also its not flush with the tubes, but a few inches deeper, which really makes for slightly better "staying inside" and handling big fish

What mix for the first start.. 50/1 is safe? better more oil than too less ive heard.. Ill do a spark test on each plug as well, and check the exhaust heat from each cylinder to make sure its firing on all cylinders - i hear the top cylinder can get totalled on these from oil/water starvation..

How hard to change impellar? Hate that there are so many sub models.. i dont even know what to call this thing apart from a mariner 60hp lol.. ill go find a workshop manual.

Ive owned enough old cars and motorbikes to fill a barn - and done everything from roadside carb fixes to beer can exhaust remedies out in the wilder parts of africa -

I just havent welded with 3 car batteries in series yet but it can be done in a pinch
Old 29 January 2016, 15:24   #7

Well I wish you many happy miles in her.

There is a more than good chance things are okay so don't worry, I'm only telling you all this to save putting money into something not worth it.

You sound quite handy so everything I mentioned, with exception of mounts, will be a doddle. The impeller is a 30 min job for people who have done it before. Even a newbie can handle it in a couple of hours tops. You will find a service manual handy, check eBay for a cd manual or look about if you catch my drift.......

The oil mix will be on the side of the engine typically on a sticker unless it is oil injection, if it is oil injection then I would run 75:1 just to make sure the pump is working, then just run on pure petrol and let the oil injection handle the rest. If non injection then just put in a GOOD marine 2 stroke oil in the quantity they say, too much oil is not good for engines so don't feel tempted to add a bit for good measure.
Old 29 January 2016, 15:28   #8

ok gr8 thanks - yes im "looking around" and found nothing yet.. i will check the water squirt, if it looks healthy.. but this being a boat id almost be happy to check for corrosion.. im also a bit paranoid - is it possible to mount a temp gauge to these things? or do they have an alarm? be great to monitor all 3 cylinders for heat..

gonna take it REAL easy and monitor her for a long time.. maybe idle at 2k revs in a big bucket and monitor temps -

really wanna be on the safe side haha -
Old 29 January 2016, 15:43   #9

Don't rev it up unloaded too much, you will do nothing good for it. Just make sure it stops, starts and idles well and get on the water.

I can't say if it has an alarm for temp, need manual for that but if you turn ignition on and it beeps right away then it may do.

If you have good water flow then be happy, get boating!
Old 29 January 2016, 15:51   #10

yeah cant wait!! SOOO excited! and what a deal! hope all goes well - cant wait to see my nephews face when i take him into the garage with a boat full of fishing rods
Old 30 January 2016, 11:33   #11

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Fstarocka , Hiya , not sure if this is just your first Rib or your first boat altogether ? The rumour is there are some very lively currents offshore in your vicinity . Search " Aghulas "........!

Make sure you don't ignore the safety aspects of boat reliability ( maybe fish with other boats in company ) plus of course all the other essential kit you may need taking younger folk offshore.....

Happy boating , stay safe .
Old 30 January 2016, 11:45   #12

Hey thanks, yes I grew up fishing here since I was 8, very familiar.. And will be extra safe no doubt. Thanks, first boat yes

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
Old 01 February 2016, 12:01   #13

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstarocka View Post
9D280 its a mariner with the orange stripes and looks like a split case cover..
Split so you lift the lid off or split so you open it like a book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstarocka View Post
anyway - you can use a free proxy to view pics.. maybe try this one: https://hide.me/en/proxy and enter the link to the image in there.. maybe itll work..
Nope! I'll try tonight when I get home!

Looks like Xk59D has covered everything else while I've not been logged on!
Old 04 February 2016, 05:22   #14

That's the pic.. I saw a 97 model with the same writing on the side.. Can it be? Or an 87..

Old 04 February 2016, 05:24   #15

By writing I mean the "sixty" faintly visible.. Not the mariner.. Also the transom was strengthened cos it has a ski bar

Old 07 February 2016, 07:22   #16

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Lucky Heather 3
Make: Spearfish
Engine: Small!
RIBase
I got the 30hp version, I take it it's not autolube. A lot of the Mariners of that age are rebadged yamahas and with a little bit of hunting you can get most parts

Tags
rib