Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 04 September 2021, 16:48   #1

Town: Ireland
Length: 3m +
Pull Cord not Pulling when in Neutral

Not sure if it's the correct thread title but let me explain what I'm trying to ask for help with

Took the SIB and motor out for first time and everything was going well but after a while out on the water I had to switch off the motor for few mins as needed to lift the prop out of the water to check it as I hit shallow ground

When I went to start the motor again the pull cord wouldn't pull as if it was in gear so I pushed the lever back and forth from neutral to forward a few times to try get it in neutral again but still wouldn't pull like it was still in forward gear.

I also couldn't engage reverse gear during this but the engine was still off at this point

After a few attempts I managed to to get a pull on the pull cord and away she started and everything seemed normal again with changing from forward-neutral-reverse while the motor was running.

This is my first time using this motor (bought 2nd hand a few days ago) and not much experience with motors in general so unsure if it was something I caused when stopping the engine or if I have a problem with my motor or gears or pull cord?

It's a 4 stroke Tohatsu 9.8.

Any help appreciated
Old 04 September 2021, 17:02   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL97 View Post
Not sure if it's the correct thread title but let me explain what I'm trying to ask for help with

Took the SIB and motor out for first time and everything was going well but after a while out on the water I had to switch off the motor for few mins as needed to lift the prop out of the water to check it as I hit shallow ground

When I went to start the motor again the pull cord wouldn't pull as if it was in gear so I pushed the lever back and forth from neutral to forward a few times to try get it in neutral again but still wouldn't pull like it was still in forward gear.

I also couldn't engage reverse gear during this but the engine was still off at this point

After a few attempts I managed to to get a pull on the pull cord and away she started and everything seemed normal again with changing from forward-neutral-reverse while the motor was running.

This is my first time using this motor (bought 2nd hand a few days ago) and not much experience with motors in general so unsure if it was something I caused when stopping the engine or if I have a problem with my motor or gears or pull cord?

It's a 4 stroke Tohatsu 9.8.

Any help appreciated

Sounds like you were just fighting the compression of the engine. Some engines have a “decompression” position:- gently pull the starter cord until you feel resistance, let the cord rewind into the starter & then give it a smart pull. You’re lining up the engine so it’s in the induction stroke rather than the compression stroke.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2021, 21:58   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Sounds like you were just fighting the compression of the engine. Some engines have a “decompression” position:- gently pull the starter cord until you feel resistance, let the cord rewind into the starter & then give it a smart pull. You’re lining up the engine so it’s in the induction stroke rather than the compression stroke.

Although couldn’t engage reverse either, so maybe suggests something is not quite right with the gear change adjustment and start in gear protection is protecting him?
Old 04 September 2021, 22:15   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
It is very common for portable engines to be reluctant to go into reverse gear if the engine isn’t running… not an issue. On your model the start in gear interlock is on the side of the pull start assembly right at the top of the engine with a Bowden cable leading to it and can be adjusted… if the adjustment clamp comes loose it can give erratic operation.