Old 20 November 2007, 22:42   #1

Town: Rio de Janeiro
Boat name: Nilo
Make: Zodiac Pro Open 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Optimax 115h
Propeller for Zodiac Pro Open 550 with Optimax 115

After some good years with a sailboat, I just bought a Zodiac Pro Open 550 with a new 2007 Mercury Optimax 115 HP motor. It was supplied with a Black Max aluminum dia=13.25' pitch=17" propeller.

I should order a spare propeller. Do you have any suggestions? Should I be more aggressive and order a 13x19” or a 12.75x21” as suggested by the propeller calculation program at Mercury’s web site?

Zod usage will be totally turned for small cruises on bay near Rio de Janeiro called Angra. Zod will always travel very light with just me, my wife and dog.

Eventually I would have to ferry Zod from Rio to Angra that is a 70 miles long trip.

Other suggestions and experience on this RIB will also be great.
Old 21 November 2007, 12:08   #2

Town: Uphall
Boat name: Iona
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235053483
Hi Rubens
Can't see why on earth it would have 17 pitch unless you're planning to pull some really heavy bugger behind on skis !!

I have the same setup - but my Opti came with a 21 pitch prop.

Good for water-skiing (2 up), pulling donuts (3 at a time), cruises comfortably - did approx 70 miles with some fuel to spare, including a fair amount of time spent in and around Corrievreckan whirlpool.

Don't have GPS, but I've seen 48 mph on the speedo (and my daughter says she had 50 out of it)

Guess you know what I would recommend!
Old 22 November 2007, 01:47   #3

Best Prop & Battery for Zodiac Pro Open 550 w Optimax 115

Hi three-rex

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

You confirm my impression about prop size. Brake-in time is not yet complete and I did not go much further in performance testing; but, I will order a 21” pitch prop. As I said before Zod will always travel light. We are too old to start skiing. Is there a wakeboard for dogs?

Battery requirement:

One other point that called my attention was the 180 amps battery requirement on Opti’s manual. Where would I install this huge thing on the 550 Zod? I decided to “risk” and bought the already gigantic 100 amps bat. Does anyone agree that I should change for an even smaller battery?

Thank you again
Old 23 November 2007, 11:23   #4

Town: Uphall
Boat name: Iona
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235053483
I bought my Zodiac completely fitted up - battery lives in the rear compartment on the starboard side - not ideal as it is free to move more than I would like ...
Old 25 November 2007, 21:43   #5

Town: Huizen
Boat name: BLIZZARDand COBRA
Make: TORNADO 5.8 and 6.5
Length: no boat
Engine: hpdi150 en 2.5 260
battery

Hello you need an battery with enough cold cranking amps
good small battery with a long live span (in a Rib )and big starting amps is the
optima Yellowtop or optima redtop battery

Why dont you buy an stainless steel prop 21 tempest or laser 2 prop from mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubens View Post
Hi three-rex

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

You confirm my impression about prop size. Brake-in time is not yet complete and I did not go much further in performance testing; but, I will order a 21” pitch prop. As I said before Zod will always travel light. We are too old to start skiing. Is there a wakeboard for dogs?

Battery requirement:

One other point that called my attention was the 180 amps battery requirement on Opti’s manual. Where would I install this huge thing on the 550 Zod? I decided to “risk” and bought the already gigantic 100 amps bat. Does anyone agree that I should change for an even smaller battery?

Thank you again
Old 26 November 2007, 01:39   #6

Hi three-rex and Mennojsh
Propellers:
Most Mercury outboards I see are using these Laser SSteel props. They are so much more expensive than the AL ones.. And get even more expensive as we approach to summer this side of the world. No doubt they will last much longer as far as cavitation and other abrasion. Their design looks much nicer than the AL’s. How better the S-Steel survive debris collision?
Last summer I lost two propellers of my great Bombard AX3 annex by just hitting debris. When I say “debris” I am being polite with those semi submerged logs that infest Angra Bay.
I see RIB as freedom from lots of things including to depend of our now grown up children’s not-allways-thre-anymore helping hand for sailing.
This summer RIB will accomplish on a fun, lighter and faster way what, BOTH my sailboat and its AX-3 annex were doing so far. By the way, I was just forgetting: At the end of each day I will be sleeping on a nice dry bed with cable TV at hand.
At three-rex’s 30 kt plus speed, the probability of hitting LX debris is higher. I hope I’m wrong, but just I feel I should be prepared to loose one prop this summer.
Buying a spare propeller on aluminum was based on concerns like these and tight budget allocation decision as investing in something else I should not miss for RIB this summer.?

Batteries:
What a great idea Mennojsh. I was well impressed visiting the Optima website. There is even a calculation procedure to help.
That white elephant on the starboard rear compartment of the 550 ZOD is nonsense. Remember, Zod’s 550 copilot seat is also at starboard. All that weight will clearly unbalance the set even more.
I just don't know yet if I will find this brand or type of battery easely in Brazil.

Thank you all again for the so kind and helpful experience sharing.
Old 25 July 2010, 22:57   #7

Hey i have a 550 with a yamaha 115 two stroke and was wondering what diameter i should use and what pitch i should have.... what prop do u have my boat goes aroung 38mph the [prop is chewed up and bent : (.??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by three-rex View Post
Hi Rubens
Can't see why on earth it would have 17 pitch unless you're planning to pull some really heavy bugger behind on skis !!

I have the same setup - but my Opti came with a 21 pitch prop.

Good for water-skiing (2 up), pulling donuts (3 at a time), cruises comfortably - did approx 70 miles with some fuel to spare, including a fair amount of time spent in and around Corrievreckan whirlpool.

Don't have GPS, but I've seen 48 mph on the speedo (and my daughter says she had 50 out of it)

Guess you know what I would recommend!