K&S

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
prop size recomendations

can anyone give me some guidance as to what prop would be best for my boat.
Boat xs 650
engine suzuki 175

I have been given a 17 stainless steel prop with the engine and was told that it was the only one available from suzuki and that it would probably either be a 17 or 19 for the boat.

However on return home and reading the suzuki brochure it says the range goes from 17 - 27. which got me wondering if the 17 would be under pitched given that it is a rib and not heavily loaded ie 2 adults 3 kids normally.

If it helps the engine is geared 2.5 : 1 max rpm 5500 / 6100

So my question, am i worrying about nothing or should i be looking at replacing the prop. was advised that providing prop remains in new condition it will be exchanged if not suitable.

The boat goes out on the water for the first time this weekend but i have found a reasonable priced selection of suzuki props locally and would replace the current prop and keep it for a spare.

Any views / recomendations welcomed
Old 31 January 2008, 21:51   #2

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I believe you are more likely to need a 19in or possibly even a 21in one. I would be very surprised if you don't easily exceed WOT revs with the 17in prop, only a sea trial will determine the correct pitch. In my experience a 2in pitch change will increase (lower pitch) or decrease (higher pitch) the maximum revs by circa 500-600rpm.
Was it your engine supplier who agreed to exchange the prop, if not be careful as any minor blemish might be used as an excuse not to swop it Also, I don't believe that a 17in prop is 'the only one available' with this engine, maybe it is all the dealer had in stock at the end of a busy season.
I hope my caution is ill placed, in my experience Suzuki dealers ar extremely professional and helpful.