Old 06 September 2005, 16:04   #1

Problems with Verado

We have received a good quote for twin 275 Verados. And are considering putting them on our Revenger. But have read a lot on american chat-sites about Veraos with their powerhead taken out for repair. Is this a problem only with the first Verados on the market or do they still have problems with the engines?
Anyone know why the powerheads were taken out of the engines the first place?
Old 06 September 2005, 17:58   #2

Length: no boat
Uh oh....does this sound like an Optimax moment?

Remember 2001/2003?

Old 06 September 2005, 19:11   #3

Town: Tofte
Make: Tornado 750
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250 Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordrafting
We have received a good quote for twin 275 Verados. And are considering putting them on our Revenger. But have read a lot on american chat-sites about Veraos with their powerhead taken out for repair. Is this a problem only with the first Verados on the market or do they still have problems with the engines?
Anyone know why the powerheads were taken out of the engines the first place?
Good evening Martin, Why do you want to go for the Verados ? Not happy with your twin 250 Suzukis ? ( Apart from the crappy gearshift )

Belive the Verados are thirstier at full speed and also are a lot heavier.

Was Merc able to give you the same warranty as Suz ?

Regards Roy
Old 06 September 2005, 20:20   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
It is never really a good isea to get the first of anything - the end of a line is always better than the start of a new one - all the problems ironed out!!!

Evinrude had probs with the first of their Fichts - mercury with the optimax - so it goes on - use something tried and tested - I would get the ETEC 250hp - lighter weight and similar power!!!
Old 06 September 2005, 20:52   #5

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
We ( Barrus) have not seen any Verado's come back with any warranty problems yet, And we have sold lots!!.
Old 06 September 2005, 21:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy
Good evening Martin, Why do you want to go for the Verados ? Not happy with your twin 250 Suzukis ? ( Apart from the crappy gearshift )

Belive the Verados are thirstier at full speed and also are a lot heavier.

Was Merc able to give you the same warranty as Suz ?

Regards Roy
The Suzukies are exellent+, except from the gearshift so far. The Veradoes have nice gear and powerstearing. The Merc.dealer called me today and said that they would give me three years warranty and a nice price. If I by the Veraroes, I will make sure it is made in 2006, so that Mercury have had two full years to take care of poblems.

Thirstier Verado, yes it is thirstier and that is no good! I have a testreport of the four big 250`s on the market. It shows where to find the best speed gasmilage etc. The Verado uses 20%more at WOT, but at 4000 rpm it uses less than any other engine and that is where I spend most time. But there is no doubt that it will be a higher gasolinebill with the Veradoes, but mayby not that much.
When it comes to the Suzukies, they are really good when it comes to good gasmilage, due to the fact that they have the highest cruising -speed at 4000 rpm. This is probably because high torque and low gearing making them spinning big propellers and therefor losing less speed.

When it comes to Evinrude, no more! Last year we carried 400l. of two-stroke oil to our 2X250hp Evinrude DI. That oil is priced like gold, and we had to change sparks every 60 hours, and 12 sparks cost a fortune. This year we have done three times that many hours on the water, so the oilconsumption would have been higher even with the new E-tech using a lot less oil.

Two friends have so far bought the first E-tech 250 out on the market, both broke down and the engines were replaced without question. (titek.no and lofotodden.no). Not that it makes Evinrude any worse than the others, but it might show that it is not smart to by an engine which is out on the market for the first year, same as Opti, Yamaha 300HPDI and maybe Verado?
Hopefully, I am wrong about the Verado. But if I by them, I will let you all know what I think about them after some hundred hours.
Why cant Mercury use me as a free testbench, let me have their engiens, and if they survive me, anyone can use them:-).

Reading US-forums, it is one thing that is sure, there is no such thing as a perfect engine, but in the long run the japaneese engines seem to have the best history on the water.
Old 06 September 2005, 21:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
It is never really a good isea to get the first of anything - the end of a line is always better than the start of a new one - all the problems ironed out!!!

Evinrude had probs with the first of their Fichts - mercury with the optimax - so it goes on - use something tried and tested - I would get the ETEC 250hp - lighter weight and similar power!!!
And they've been on the market exactly how long???
Old 06 September 2005, 21:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
And they've been on the market exactly how long???
...good punch!
Old 06 September 2005, 21:50   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Yes but the ETEC isn't THAT different to a FICHT.........
Old 06 September 2005, 21:56   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Not that different Codprawn

I like what I have tested and see of Varedo, have also experiance of FICHT and Etech.

For my new boat I am going for the oldie stuff as I am addicted to the smell of two strokes and therefore I like borrowing Jón Baldur´s Trabant which are two stroke powered former East German car with 25,8 hp engine.

Bogi
Old 08 September 2005, 23:29   #11

Boat name: actionboat Diablo
Make: Ravenribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 350 SCI
Martin

I have had my Verado's since May (172h) No prob with the engine. only one gearbox brok a tooth in the forward gear. had a new one next day.

I think all the engine's are more or less the same. but what I find importen is the service behinde the engine. That why I stick to the Verado's just order 2 x 275. so maybe they are not in stock anymore

BR Jan
Old 16 September 2005, 09:13   #12

Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
Verado

We have had four Verado 250 versions this season. No problems yet, one pair has driven already some 400 hours in rough use without problems. Seems to be quite reliable engines so far.
Old 16 September 2005, 10:13   #13

Town: West Sussex
I am losing count on how many Verados we have supplied with our Parker 7.5 & 9 mtr ribs and no problems
the latest are here