Old 09 December 2012, 16:42   #1

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Physical difference between Mariner 6 and 9.9M

Currently got a deposit on a Mariner 6F for next year, but exact make and model is not set in stone yet. I chose it due to weight and size - I know it will fit in the boot of our Passat Estate along with other holiday gear and along side the Zodiac when its in its bag in the back of the car.

I realise that the 9.9 is going to be a better engine so wondering if I should go for that instead. But I'm not sure that the logistics will work.

Physically and practically, what is the difference between a 6 and 9.9M? I'm fairly confident with weight and size of the 6, plus it will go in a bag when transporting which is good WAF. But not sure with the 9.9M.
Old 09 December 2012, 17:01   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I would always go for the biggest engine you can, you can always throttle back ;-)

But you are right, at 25kg the 6hp is nice and portable while at nearly 40kg the 9.9hp is a lot more difficult to move around. I had a 36kg Yamaha for a while, but i felt it was just too big to move around easily and without damaging either the car or the engine.

I dont think the physical size difference is worth worrying about. My advice is to go and try moving each engine around at your dealer, its the only way you will find out for sure.
Old 09 December 2012, 19:07   #3

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
you cold get a little trolley, they fold up or just put wheels on your boat and not problem, you have big boot, and you could allways pick up s/hand roofbox for hoildays
Old 09 December 2012, 19:59   #4

I will be getting trolley and wheels but you still got to lift it on and off boat, in to back of car - ok for many buy I had hernia op last year which I use it as an excuse against heavy lifting and don't want to blow my cover

Roof box - not a chance - WAF is important, plus the bikes often go up there.

You say that Passat has a big boot, but I measured the 6hp using technical drawings of the engine and its a tight fit - will only fit across the boot from what I can see. But the car in this post looks smaller and has a Mariner 15 in with quite some room to spare - isnt the 15 even bigger than the 9.9 let alone the 6. Maybe there is some orientation that I have not considered? It's exactly the same boat as mine and I can get it well forward of the rear of the bood lid to allow the engine its own space.

Another slight concern is that one of the waterways that I would be tempted to use the boat has a max HP of 2.5/meter length. So the 9.9 would be too big - max would be 9hp and I don't think they would accept a bow sprit The 8hp doesn't sound much extra power over the 6hp?
Old 09 December 2012, 21:41   #5

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
I will be getting trolley and wheels but you still got to lift it on and off boat, in to back of car - ok for many buy I had hernia op last year which I use it as an excuse against heavy lifting and don't want to blow my cover

Roof box - not a chance - WAF is important, plus the bikes often go up there.

You say that Passat has a big boot, but I measured the 6hp using technical drawings of the engine and its a tight fit - will only fit across the boot from what I can see. But the car in this post looks smaller and has a Mariner 15 in with quite some room to spare - isnt the 15 even bigger than the 9.9 let alone the 6. Maybe there is some orientation that I have not considered? It's exactly the same boat as mine and I can get it well forward of the rear of the bood lid to allow the engine its own space.

Another slight concern is that one of the waterways that I would be tempted to use the boat has a max HP of 2.5/meter length. So the 9.9 would be too big - max would be 9hp and I don't think they would accept a bow sprit The 8hp doesn't sound much extra power over the 6hp?

The 15hp in the post you mentioned is a 2 stroke, lighter and smaller than a 4 stroke that you are looking at. A 4 stroke 15hp is over 50kg

I wouldnt bother with an 8hp over a 9.9hp, its the same engine, same size, same weight, less hp

I realise you were joking about the bowsprit, but unless its specifically excluded from the regs, then it could count to the length aolve your problem.

Of course the best idea is to find a good condition 2 stroke, Tohatsu 9.8 or Yamaha 8 would be my choice.
Old 09 December 2012, 23:53   #6

agree with the above, 9.8, but 6 hp fourstoke i think is 23 kg when i had one this year, very nice quite engine, just depend if you like quite or fast,
Old 09 December 2012, 23:59   #7

just looked on zodaic website and they say upto 15 hp, but show 8 hp used, i had 285 this year with 6 hp, and it was great mec 4 stroke, but was only used as 2nd tender
Old 10 December 2012, 22:11   #8

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
If Mariner is a rebadged Tohatsu go straight for the 9.8 which is the older brother to the 6,8 HP family, all with 170 CC compared to 250 for the 9.9/15 HP more powerfull horses. It's same weight and size of the 6,8 but with better punch. Or go for a Tohatsu 9.8 HP second hand or new.

Happy Boating
Old 11 December 2012, 06:28   #9

Thanks, but I don't think you can buy a new small 2 stroke in Europe anymore.

I'm also committed to buying from this boat shop so unless they get a 2 stroke p/ex its a 4 mariner, mercury, yamaha or suzuki four stroke I have to buy.
Old 11 December 2012, 11:01   #10

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post

Another slight concern is that one of the waterways that I would be tempted to use the boat has a max HP of 2.5/meter length. So the 9.9 would be too big - max would be 9hp and I don't think they would accept a bow sprit
Change the stickers on the cowling
Old 11 December 2012, 19:05   #11

I had actually thought about acquiring a spare 8hp cowling
Old 11 December 2012, 19:31   #12

The helpful people at Barrus send me the technical install drawings for the 9.9 so I can compare it with the 6. I'm going to try and physically compare on Thursday.

On paper, the 9.9 is 34mm taller, 54mm wider and 240mm deeper (incl tiller). The 9.9 is much thicker around the middle - a bit like me. It's also 13kg heavier, half as much again. The 6hp is about the weight of a bag of cement, the 9.9 about the weight of a 6 stone person.
Old 13 December 2012, 14:43   #13

Just had to update my profile
Old 14 December 2012, 20:50   #14

Swapped my order from 6hp to 9.9

Size wise, there is nothing in it with the length and looks like it will fit in both directions in the boot. It's a bit wider but much thicker around its middle.

Weight wise, its no longer easily carry able so trolley is definitely in order - I was going to buy one anyway for the 6 just for storage, but going for a more robust foldable unit. It's still a one person lift, but you wouldn't want it any heavier. Don't think the Mrs will be helping with then engine but if there is no other help around, I've been shown the technique to flick it up into the boot of the car.

The tiller can be folded up and down which will probably be useful. I had not realised that the forward/neutral/reverse was on on the tiller - much more friendly.

I've lost the ability to use the internal tank but had begun to think that petrol in the engine during transport was a liability. I've also lost the free bag as its not meant to fit the bigger engine. I understand that most people use old towels to protect other things when in the boot. Not sure if there is a better WAF solution?