Old 23 October 2008, 19:58   #1

Town: hull
Boat name: melanie jc
Make: tidel wave
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
parsun 9.9 four stroke

hello new to boating after some advice just bought new sib its a tidel wave 4meter.got all the saftey stuff coast gaurd asked for. billhigham sold me a new parsun 9.9 four stroke never heard anything on ribnet about them read on fishing forum there chinease and rubbish but what do i know i would like to use this setup on the river humber with my lad for fishing would this be safe hope to go this weekend any advice would good thanks
Old 23 October 2008, 21:17   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ghlight=parsun

Have a look here.
Old 23 October 2008, 21:32   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
doesn't really answer his question - just more speculation that they are crap.

sean - if I follow correctly you are concerned that maybe the engine is so crap you will die as a result on your planned trip on the humber! Worst case scenario the engine stops working - you say you have everything asked for by the coastguard - so I assume you have an anchor to stop you drifting, and an alternative means of propulsion (bear in mind paddles are hard work for more than a few hundred metres), and some means of summonsing help (radio, phone in water proof bag, and flares).

then provided you are following the parsun / bill highman run in advice I think you should be fine. If you do get problems in the early days they will need to fix them - as its got to be fit for purpose. I think the concern is about longevity rather than simply being crap.
Old 23 October 2008, 22:22   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have found a lot of the Chinese stuff(I would say Chinky but it's non PC) is fine for it's purpose - just a bit rough around the edges.

As Polwart says paddling is very hard work - don't bother trying against the current - just go with the flow - you may not end up where you wanted to be but as long as you get to safety that's all that matters!!!
Old 23 October 2008, 23:05   #5

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean cozzy View Post
hello new to boating after some advice just bought new sib its a tidel wave 4meter.got all the saftey stuff coast gaurd asked for. billhigham sold me a new parsun 9.9 four stroke never heard anything on ribnet about them read on fishing forum there chinease and rubbish but what do i know i would like to use this setup on the river humber with my lad for fishing would this be safe hope to go this weekend any advice would good thanks
If you bought the engine through a reputed dealer and he has plenty of parts available for them, then ok, accoding to some local boaters who bought them as Sail brand, some parts do not last long, so need to be changed more frecuent. Just in case put an aux to your boat and call the coast guard...(joke).

Was offered the reperesentation of the Sail brand through a main dealer in Honk Kong that sells also Tohatsu, his recommendation with his hand on his heart was, buy Tohatsu, this says it all.

Happy Boating
Old 23 October 2008, 23:16   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Was offered the reperesentation of the Sail brand through a main dealer in Honk Kong that sells also Tohatsu, his recommendation with his hand on his heart was, buy Tohatsu, this says it all.
what that Tohatsu offer their dealers better commission/margin?
Old 23 October 2008, 23:38   #7

Town: hull
Boat name: melanie jc
Make: tidel wave
Engine: outboard
thanks salwart got all the saftey vhf flares stuff . with the parsun was advised to buy new and parsun was in my buget billhigham give good sales pitch anyway did not get owner manual said they would post one to run in just take it easy? anyway feeling more confident naw can/t wait to get out thanks
Old 24 October 2008, 09:22   #8

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
thanks salwart got all the saftey vhf flares stuff . with the parsun was advised to buy new and parsun was in my buget billhigham give good sales pitch anyway did not get owner manual said they would post one to run in just take it easy? anyway feeling more confident naw can/t wait to get out thanks
I think I would have spent the same money on an 8HP Tohatsu, but then I sell them so I would say that.

As said all the concerns about Parsun is that they do not run very smoothly and bits need replacing sooner rather than later, but if you take good care of it then you should have a nice reliable engine.

Even the most expensive motors can conk out.
Old 24 October 2008, 12:29   #9

Town: some warm anchorage
Boat name: depends how I feel..
Make: Honwave Air 3.2
Engine: Tohatsu 18 2 Stroke
MMSI: VHF 16 who wants DSC
I got offered a dealership for Parsun around 18 months ago, I replied with interest as the prices trade - were cheapo. asked for a copy of the service manual and spares availability. no response. so binned it outright.

Seems like a sack of dogs dollop to me.
Old 24 October 2008, 14:29   #10

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
what that Tohatsu offer their dealers better commission/margin?
The issue is not about better commissions, it's the dealer's reputation, as an example, the local delaer who sell the same engine as Sail has problems with spare parts availability, so it's his entire responsability. Customers in trouble will not buy that engine again, word of mouth spreads easily, so new boaters will be warned about them.

Don't want to be mean with this brand, but according to yacht owners sailors, fishermens do not last long enough, even have frecuent elecrical problems, some states that even are discard type engines when used commercially. Anyway used on pure recreation basis, will last longer, a matter of counting with spare parts availability, good mechanic and a responsable dealer who backsup what he sells.

Happy Boating
Old 24 October 2008, 14:37   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:

If you call Parsun uk (Bill higham) they will email you a pdf by return

http://www.parsunoutboard.co.uk/contactus.html

Jim
Old 24 October 2008, 15:04   #12

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
think for light pleasure or leisure use the engine will be ok ,as long as its well cared for ie usual flushing through and greasing up of parts ,and it doesent get thrashed or its arse brayed out of it ,.
Old 25 October 2008, 19:25   #13

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Does anyone have any first hand experience of these going 'pop'? I am thinking of putting an Aux on the boat - want something cheap. As an Aux it wont get used much at all, but will be well looked after.

I thought that the chinese imports have been improving to try & get rid of the poor reputation.
Old 25 October 2008, 21:58   #14

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I parked next to a guy a few weeks back who was lifting a parsun out of his car . I asked out of interest what it was like , he said he had used it a lot all season with no problems at all , he said it had done approx 100 hrs .

When I first saw Tohatsu I just dismissed it as a no name cheapie out of ignorance