Old 20 February 2023, 13:32   #1

Length: 4m +
Oz hydrofoils.

I’m Looking to give my little tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke a bit more get up and go whilst out on the water. I Previously had a SE sport 200 on a 15 a while back and was quite impressed. Oz hydrofoil do one for the tohatsu, I’m wondering if anyone has one or used one and what they are like in terms of performance and value for money etc. Also do they have a European distributer??
many thanks. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4111.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	142214
Old 20 February 2023, 14:06   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick58 View Post
I’m Looking to give my little tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke a bit more get up and go whilst out on the water. I Previously had a SE sport 200 on a 15 a while back and was quite impressed. Oz hydrofoil do one for the tohatsu, I’m wondering if anyone has one or used one and what they are like in terms of performance and value for money etc. Also do they have a European distributer??
many thanks. Attachment 142214

Unless you have a specific issue that requires hydrofoils, then they will reduce your “get up & go”
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2023, 14:10   #3

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Hi Maverick. I’ve got a permatrim, which is very similar in design. Mine was fitted to my Suzuki 6; four stroke, to reduce cavitation/ ventilation on my Takacat, which suffered from air being pushed through the tunnel between the two inflatable hulls. It has given the boat improved performance in all conditions and reduced turbulence considerably.
Obviously different boat/ engine combinations work differently, but I’ve been impressed with results.
Old 20 February 2023, 14:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
Hi Maverick. I’ve got a permatrim, which is very similar in design. Mine was fitted to my Suzuki 6; four stroke, to reduce cavitation/ ventilation on my Takacat, which suffered from air being pushed through the tunnel between the two inflatable hulls. It has given the boat improved performance in all conditions and reduced turbulence considerably.
Obviously different boat/ engine combinations work differently, but I’ve been impressed with results.

Hi seahorse. That’s very similar to my set up, I have an Aircat 335 which was doing exactly the same thing yesterday out on the water. 2 up the prop was slipping in the water & A fair bit of splash too coming off the rear end between the outer hulls and hitting the inside leg of the engine. We tried a few different trim holes to see which one worked best, might have to raise the engine up slightly. Is the permatrim a uk based product?? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4087.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	142216
Old 20 February 2023, 15:03   #5

You seem to be suffering similar issues to me. Takacat actually recommend permatrim, but I wasn’t made aware at time of purchase. Since fitting, my boat accelerates better, is more relaxed, and feels more balanced, especially when 2 or more are on the boat. Spray and turbulence have been greatly reduced.
Permatrim are New Xealand based. Mine came via Avon marina in Christchurch Dorset. I think you can buy direct from the makers, and I see Amazon sell a few. There may be other dealers who sell them. Any who sell Takacats would, I’m fairly sure.
Old 20 February 2023, 15:04   #6

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Unless you have a specific issue that requires hydrofoils, then they will reduce your “get up & go”
This! So there is a time and place for them, but really it's to fix some other design issue that, if you can, you'd better off addressing directly. But that said, it's not always feasible. (e.g. a low power rig with a rearwards CG - it might not be feasible to add more hp or move the CG)
Old 20 February 2023, 15:04   #7

Should read New Zealand!
Old 20 February 2023, 16:23   #8

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
I fitted one to my old 4 stroke engine. It solved a lot of problems (which were due to the engine being too heavy).

I had to order it from Oz. Its a nice touch that you can specify OB type and it comes paint matched, so it looks OE.

Old 20 February 2023, 16:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
You seem to be suffering similar issues to me. Takacat actually recommend permatrim, but I wasn’t made aware at time of purchase. Since fitting, my boat accelerates better, is more relaxed, and feels more balanced, especially when 2 or more are on the boat. Spray and turbulence have been greatly reduced.
Permatrim are New Xealand based. Mine came via Avon marina in Christchurch Dorset. I think you can buy direct from the makers, and I see Amazon sell a few. There may be other dealers who sell them. Any who sell Takacats would, I’m fairly sure.

Ahh, that’s interesting info, I’m just up the road in southbourne. I’ll drop them a call 2mora. So how has your permatrim changed how your takacat behaves out on the water?? Quite a unique looking design too compared to the stingrays and SE sport, would be interesting to hear what significant changes it made you mate.
Old 20 February 2023, 16:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
I fitted one to my old 4 stroke engine. It solved a lot of problems (which were due to the engine being too heavy).

I had to order it from Oz. Its a nice touch that you can specify OB type and it comes paint matched, so it looks OE.

I must admit that does look nice and sleek. Love the colour match too.
Old 20 February 2023, 21:58   #11

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Permatrim on my 17' Dory.
Fitted it years ago.
On plane sooner, stays on plane at lower speed. Improved fuel economy as a result.

I've had no issues with it & no corrosion at all so the finish is robust.
Straightforward to fit.

Side bonus when I caught the rope off a set of crab pots at speed - blue polypropylene, yards of it floating just in the surface so the first I knew about it was when the boat started slowing.
Stayed on top of the plate & didn't slide down to get caught by the prop.
Old 21 February 2023, 10:07   #12

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Although not a massive fan of hydrofoils per se I feel they are a worthy tool to consider in addressing ventilation issues on small cats.
Personally my first option, if adjusting trim/motor height all fails, would be to try a cupped propeller. This has worked on a few combinations I know of.

If going hydrofoil then my choice would also be the Permatrim (or the similar OzProps) and I’d probably Sikaflex it on like the guys at TrueKit show, although imagine will be difficult to remove!

https://youtu.be/AAxiXea58PE

Interesting to note Tacakat lowered their transoms a few years back to help combat the dreaded ventilation and I also recently saw they now do a strap on (Ooer!) central speed tube to help smooth water flow over prop.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 28 February 2023, 13:52   #13

I think I’ve found what the biggest issue here is, short shaft engine on a 15” transom and it’s sat too low in the water. There’s a lot of great info on here regarding similar issues and it would seem not every engine is suited to every transom. Locozodiac’s thread was an interesting read.

So, In order to get my cheap Chinese aircat married up nicely with my tohatsu, step one, raise the engine up on a 20mm block, step 2 install the recommended permatrim for that hull to bring better stability at speed, better holeshot and sort ventilation issues. And step 3, take it all down to the river to test it out.

Yesterdays test, a little cold, but says engine is still sat too low despite the raise in height with Lots of Backsplash still present, water hitting the rounded edge just below the ventilation plate so not slicing through the water cleanly enough. Permatrim has made a huge difference to both the holshot and stability at speed so kinda making baby steps.

Back on dry land for more testing this morning, measuring different heights and set ups with a few pics for illustration. Fellow sibbers can I ask for your opinion on which of these pics looks to be near enough to being correct in terms of where the cavitation plate should sit. Pics 1 through 3 show standard seating of engine, up 20mm on block, and then up 40mm which is yet to be tested.
Old 28 February 2023, 14:02   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4127.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	142264

Name:	IMG_4127.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	142264
Old 28 February 2023, 14:03   #15

Name:	IMG_4125.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	142265
Old 28 February 2023, 14:04   #16

Name:	IMG_4128.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	142266
Old 28 February 2023, 18:16   #17

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Maverick, all the pictures show the cav plate being lower than the keel, but the last pic (40mm) is closest to where the cav plate should theoretically be. However, it looks like that doesn't give much "land" on the outboard mounting plate for the clamps to grip on to. If that is the best height I'd want to bolt the OB onto the transom, better safe than sorry.
Old 28 February 2023, 21:29   #18

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Just realised you run a cat and my comments above #17 don't really apply, I thought it was a sib you had. Thinking out loud (metaphorically speaking) should the cav plate not be level with the bottom of the tubes?
Old 28 February 2023, 21:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Maverick, all the pictures show the cav plate being lower than the keel, but the last pic (40mm) is closest to where the cav plate should theoretically be. However, it looks like that doesn't give much "land" on the outboard mounting plate for the clamps to grip on to. If that is the best height I'd want to bolt the OB onto the transom, better safe than sorry.

Good observation Steve. No you’re right it isnt. The 40mm raiser is 45mm in width to match the transom and mounting plates combined, hopefully creating a half on half off tight grip for the OB to sit on. It’s still in testing stage at mo, 26kgs is a bit of fat monkey to get off your back, but more importantly is getting all of those 10 horses safely clamped to the ground without losing the outboard.
Old 28 February 2023, 21:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Just realised you run a cat and my comments above #17 don't really apply, I thought it was a sib you had. Thinking out loud (metaphorically speaking) should the cav plate not be level with the bottom of the tubes?

Name:	IMG_4088.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	142272
It’s a Sib Cat, all inflatable with HP floor.