Old 09 March 2020, 23:42   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>held back by the ongoing service costs.

I took the decision when I bought my new Suzuki 20efi after the 20hr service to self service and junk the warranty.

I posted this back in April 2017...

I'd not been that Impressed with my local dealers 20hr service... then consider it would probably cost at least £400 more than me buying parts/oils to have the dealer do the four yearly services required within the five year warranty period (plus whatever the timing belt change would cost at year four) ... and the travelling to my nearest dealer to drop off/collect would amount to another £50 in diesel over that period plus about 8hrs of my time.
Old 10 March 2020, 07:16   #22

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>held back by the ongoing service costs.

I took the decision when I bought my new Suzuki 20efi after the 20hr service to self service and junk the warranty.

I posted this back in April 2017...

I'd not been that Impressed with my local dealers 20hr service... then consider it would probably cost at least £400 more than me buying parts/oils to have the dealer do the four yearly services required within the five year warranty period (plus whatever the timing belt change would cost at year four) ... and the travelling to my nearest dealer to drop off/collect would amount to another £50 in diesel over that period plus about 8hrs of my time.
David can I ask did you lose any noticeable cash when you sold your Suzuki on by diy servicing? ( Thinking about it probably nowhere near the amount paying for a dealer to service it).
I have noticed there is a massive difference in prices between some mechanics. I got a quote recently from a mobile mechanic to service a 50hp and the quote was eye watering! I'm taking it elsewhere for less than half the cost.

I've a very good Suzuki dealer near me that I would have used had I gone for the Suzuki but was under the impression that the Tohatsu could be ran on remotes with the tiller still attached as you can with the 25hp 2st but this is not the case.
I'm still really happy with the Tohatsu but servicing should be a consideration to anyone looking for a new outboard and wanting to maintain the warranty.
Old 10 March 2020, 11:04   #23

I can only make a guestimate from the comments made by the place I traded it and the two others I spoke to who quoted.

It helped loads that I used a genuine Suzuki service kit and had the receipt in the service book plus had "self stamped" the book with date and hours recorded.... but yep they all muttered about possible loss of warranty.

In truth I lost loads buying a new motor... only keeping it a couple of years... and then down trading to a smaller cheaper one. I then lost loads selling on the motor I traded it for... going back to the selling dealer as a cash deal.

I was fine with it though as using the dealer for buys/sales made it easy at a time we had a lot on our plate. But in simple money terms that short period of changes lost me about £1500. I reckon I got about £100 less for the Suzuki due to the lack of a full dealer service record... so not the biggest factor by far.

As much as the cost of dealer servicing was that for me the nearest dealer was close on a 70ml round trip to drop off... and same again to collect... 4hrs wasted travelling per service. Added to that their work was to a far lower standard than my careful DIY which tipped the decision.

I have every confidence had I just sold the Suzuki privately the missing dealer stamp wouldn't have affected the price one bit.
Old 10 March 2020, 15:25   #24

Ah right, thanks for the info.
Mine has had its 20 hr but not yet its first proper service. Its due fairly soon and I'll have a decision to make whether to diy or not. Will probably depend on the quoted price at the time.
Old 15 March 2020, 19:37   #25

Engine: Mercury 15 Efi
So an update on the search, I've taken the plunge with a 15hp efi engine, went for a Mercury but pretty much the same as a Tohatsu in the engine dept. looked a lot bigger than what I have, but will test it on the water.

It may be a few weeks before I use it, esp. if we all get confined indoors with 'the virus'

Will report back on first impressions....
Old 15 March 2020, 19:46   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Do the rules wrg. Servicing & warranty that apply to cars apply to outboards? In that as long as the servicing has been in compliance with the manufacturers specs, the warranty stands, it doesn’t have to be done by the dealers.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 19:56   #27

As it's been explained to me, it's only if the service is done by a recognised dealer that the warranty is valid.

According to the place i went to, Mercury are the only ones in their experience to "consider" a warranty claim without the dealer stamps if there's proof of their parts being used for regular servicing. How long they "consider" it before saying no might vary....

In the car world with Fords I used to be able to download their service checklists to follow, but no so easy to access now.

I saw Honda had a fairly detailed service plan in their user manual, which wasn't too challenging to anyone a bit handy.
It may be a point of embarrassment to see what they do for a service on a modern engine - change a canister oil filter and the plugs? I have no idea really! I imagine the hourly rates are quite high.
Old 15 March 2020, 20:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Do the rules wrg. Servicing & warranty that apply to cars apply to outboards? In that as long as the servicing has been in compliance with the manufacturers specs, the warranty stands, it doesn’t have to be done by the dealers.
• The Pre-delivery inspection of the outboard must be completed on-line by a Tohatsu authorised dealer and logged on the Tohatsu Marine Website.
• An authorised Tohatsu Service Centre must perform the recommended routine servicing/maintenance and repairs and record these on-line on the Tohatsu Marine Website.
• The recommended service intervals must be strictly adhered to:-
3mth, 12mth, 2yr, then annually or 20hrs (10hrs for Two Stroke or TLDI Models), 100hrs, 200hrs, 500hrs etc whichever comes sooner.
• Off-season and pre-season checks and maintenance must be carried out.
• Only Tohatsu genuine parts and recommended oil and lubes may be used for service and repairs.
• The warranty will replace as required, any part that is proved defective in material or workmanship during the warranty period.
• All parts replaced under warranty will be considered as part of the original product and any warranties expire coincidentally with the original product warranty.
• The warranty will terminate upon failure to meet any of the warranty conditions.

Taken from the Tohatsu website..

Other manufacturers may differ but Tohatsu state " An authorised Tohatsu Service Centre must perform the recommended routine servicing/maintenance and repairs and record these on-line on the Tohatsu Marine Website".
Old 15 March 2020, 20:17   #29

Just checking on the Mercury web site it seems a bit lame, no PDF owners manual, very little info on the warranty, hopefully more information in the documentation when I pick it up.
Old 15 March 2020, 21:26   #30

I hope that engine suits Sailpower… the modern efi engines are most impressive re even tempered start/idle and low fuel consumption.
Old 15 March 2020, 21:40   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
I hope that engine suits Sailpower… the modern efi engines are most impressive re even tempered start/idle and low fuel consumption.

Up to now we’re impressed with the 20hp Suzuki, the missus can start it first pull. It’s very quiet on tickover, but about as noisy as most others, including 2t on full chat. In our (up to now) limited use, the fuel economy is very frugal at around 4nm/L cruise. It weighs in at 44kg which is just about manhandleable. There’re zero fumes/smoke (though I do like the smell of 2stroke in the morning [emoji6]). Assuming the current wild hysteria about a mild case of winter flu dies down, we’ll be giving it a thorough work out in the early summer.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 09:41   #32

Town: Morecambe
Make: Honwave T38 IE
Engine: 15HP Tohatsu EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
• The Pre-delivery inspection of the outboard must be completed on-line by a Tohatsu authorised dealer and logged on the Tohatsu Marine Website.
• An authorised Tohatsu Service Centre must perform the recommended routine servicing/maintenance and repairs and record these on-line on the Tohatsu Marine Website.
The recommended service intervals must be strictly adhered to:-
3mth, 12mth, 2yr, then annually or 20hrs (10hrs for Two Stroke or TLDI Models), 100hrs, 200hrs, 500hrs etc whichever comes sooner.

• Off-season and pre-season checks and maintenance must be carried out.
• Only Tohatsu genuine parts and recommended oil and lubes may be used for service and repairs.
• The warranty will replace as required, any part that is proved defective in material or workmanship during the warranty period.
• All parts replaced under warranty will be considered as part of the original product and any warranties expire coincidentally with the original product warranty.
• The warranty will terminate upon failure to meet any of the warranty conditions.

Taken from the Tohatsu website..

Other manufacturers may differ but Tohatsu state " An authorised Tohatsu Service Centre must perform the recommended routine servicing/maintenance and repairs and record these on-line on the Tohatsu Marine Website".
Saw this in my new Tohatsu service book. Seems strange it needs a service after just 3 months. As I bought the motor in March this means that in June (when Ill be wanting to use it the most!) ill have to stop using it and arrange transport down to Cambridge which is the nearest Tohatsu dealer. Seems mad to me!
Old 16 March 2020, 09:44   #33

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
3 months after run in period to change oils with suzuki its 1 month or 20 hours
Old 16 March 2020, 12:07   #34

>>>arrange transport down to Cambridge which is the nearest Tohatsu dealer. Seems mad to me!

Is that really your nearest?

https://www.tohatsu.co.uk/find-a-tohatsu-dealer.html
Old 16 March 2020, 13:17   #35

Town: Morecambe
Make: Honwave T38 IE
Engine: 15HP Tohatsu EFI
Quote:
>>>arrange transport down to Cambridge which is the nearest Tohatsu dealer. Seems mad to me!

Is that really your nearest?

https://www.tohatsu.co.uk/find-a-tohatsu-dealer.html
Because the place I bought it (Cambridge Outboards) state they offer a free 3 month service.

On a side note, if due to the hysteria around the Covid 19 flu pandemic and I'm not actually able to use it for three months, does the warranty still require a 3 month service? It wont have any hours but the warranty registration states the purchase date!

Still good to know there are some semi local dealers!
Old 16 March 2020, 13:21   #36

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Outboard Weight vs Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhben View Post
and arrange transport down to Cambridge which is the nearest Tohatsu dealer. Seems mad to me!

Would have thought the free first 20hr service currently offered by Cambridge Outboards would take the sting out of any return to base inconveniences.

Always assuming they were your purchasing dealer.
Old 16 March 2020, 13:59   #37

Wonder what a fully insured pallet each way would be? Surely double the service cost??
Old 16 March 2020, 14:03   #38

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
60 quids worth of fuel will be a lot less than the service costs. No brainer.
Old 16 March 2020, 14:04   #39

>>>does the warranty still require a 3 month service? It wont have any hours but the warranty registration states the purchase date!

I'd email Tohatsu and get that clarified. When my Suzuki was new the dealer told me something which I didn't think quite correct re warranty servicing. I emailed Suzuki who said their idea would have invalidated the makers warranty which would just leave me with a difficult sale of goods type claim with the dealer.
Old 16 March 2020, 14:10   #40

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
id say your fuel cost not far off service cost then its a day round trip assuming your not on a waiting list. also if its not run the 3 months or 20 hours will start from when it is all substantiated by the PC read out

Tags
outboard