Old 16 January 2022, 08:41   #1

Town: Northam
Boat name: My Boatty Too
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Ymaha 2.5 outboard
Outboard-transom security.

Hi all.

I understand there's no realistic way to fully secure an outboard to a boat to prevent theft, but I'd like to do as much as possible to act as a deterrent/make it difficult, whilst also complying with insurance expectations.

It's been suggested I go for locking transom bolts - as you'll know, these pass through the transom and have key-operated nuts on the end (like car alloy wheel lock nuts).

So Qs are, please; any particular recommendations for these bolts? And, any alternative/better/additional security methods (other than 'remove the engine...')?

The engine has also been 'Datatagged'.

(Yes, I've heard all the stories of committed thieves cutting off whole transoms/ cutting through the engine mountings, but there is some security at the site in question, so something extra that can deter/make more difficult/noisy an attempted theft will help.)

Many thanks.

(It's a 15HP O/B)
Old 16 January 2022, 10:23   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Are you leaving a 15hp on a SIB at a boatyard or coastal location for overnight or extended periods? If you are concerned enough to think of locking bolts wouldn't it be easier to remove the OB when not in use?
Old 16 January 2022, 15:25   #3

Hi Fen.
It's at a boating lake which does already have some security - CCTV and suchlike.

The boat will be used virtually every week, so removing/replacing the 45kg jobbie each time isn't ideal, or even practical.

Insurance is 'happy' with this added security, so it's the option I'm looking at.
Any suggestions for type or make of security bolts? Or any other ideas that'll work just as well?
Thanks.
Old 16 January 2022, 16:06   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
My take has been just to put on a security bolt or clamp lock that satisfies insurance.... neither will significantly slow down any guy that breaks into the premises in the first place going equipped with a view of nicking an outboard.
Old 16 January 2022, 18:31   #5

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/Outboard security
Old 17 January 2022, 09:56   #6

Thanks, Fen. Yes, it's primarily to 'comply', but if there's a device that does work better than others, I was hoping to have some recommendations for this.

Cheers, Limecc - I'll check out that thread.
Old 22 January 2022, 22:10   #7

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
My mate lost a 150. He runs a cctv security company and showed the police the 4 hour footage in high def of the thief. He even matched the thief to Facebook profile. Nout happened but his insurance paid out.

No way to stop them. Just comply with insurance
Old 23 January 2022, 11:56   #8

That's outrageous, gtflash.

I have to say, in that situation I wouldn't let it slide. If it's really that clear, I'd escalate it to a formal complaint, and involve my MP if required.

Anyhoo, bought a couple of locking bolts which will comply with our insurance requirements.
Old 24 January 2022, 09:50   #9

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
If you’ve taken all reasonable precautions and you’re satisfied your insurance will pay up then leave things as they are and enjoy the boat.

Easy to spend hours worrying about something that may or may not happen. If the worry continues then look at using it in a different way?

Taking many thorough photos and keeping a record of the outboard would be key to getting a fair payout in the worst case scenario. I found speaking with my insurer reassuring when they explained their method of depreciation.
Old 24 January 2022, 15:30   #10

Town: Dixon
Boat name: "H8 2 Swim"
Make: monaco yachtsman
Length: 4m +
Engine: OB
You need to secure the whole boat. these days, thieves just take the whole boat and strip it. Use a 25' large plastic coated cable (the kind they use to secure stuff outside your hardware store...). Use a brass large lock (spray the inside of the lock with silicone). Put 2 through transom eye bolts (you should already have them as your transom tiedowns for the trailer...). String the cable trough your boat, any and all the ropes and handholds, and then through the eyebolts and outboard.

It's not foolproof, but thieves want an easy take, not one they have to spend a lot of time to get.

I go to Catalina island with my 14' rib and tie up at the dinghy docks overnight. I use my 25' cable lock to secure my boat and have a hidden kill switch. Never a worry. They can't easily take my 40hp #215 (100kg) motor by hand.
Old 26 January 2022, 21:22   #11

Thanks, Yaba. Good idea to take photos to prove the fitting of the bolts. Yes, once fitted and with insurance cover, it's time to just stop worrying!

We're not sure yet whether we can keep the boat on the water, so it would/should have additional security that way. But, if not, then a cable as you describe, attached to an immovable structure, would be worth it too.
Old 26 January 2022, 22:16   #12

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Check that bolting the boat to something isn’t going to be a nuisance.

You could get an old tarp or something and cover the outboard, if you happen to see a cheap damaged cowling maybe buy it and use that - disguise your shiny motor for a boat jumble version.

Cover for the boat is a good idea.

You could get into trackers and geo fencing but damage usually done once theft occurs.

Just make sure you’ve got some dialogue with the insurers and maybe see if they would do an agreed market value

Tags
outboard