Old 14 April 2019, 17:57   #1

Town: Cumbria
Boat name: Honwav t30 ae
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp
Outboard on a trailer

Hi

If u got a outboard on a trailer say box then storing it on the side seems sensible. However a m8 of mine says this will bounce about and damage said outboard. Even if it's lashed down , says could damage it lashing down.
He's going to build me a frame so it can stand up and the frame lashed..

What's folks thoughts
Old 14 April 2019, 18:10   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Dont believe everything folks tell you Cumbria.

I have carried outboards lying flat in the boot of my car for more years than I care to recall and they still run perfectly and with no damage. In a box trailer it will be no different..just sit it on an old bit of carpet and the correct way up.. example tiller down if that is what your manual states for your engine. Ensure the head is slightly higher than the prop end too.

Ensure you are running your new engine in as per manual as not following run in procedures will possibly do more damage.
Old 14 April 2019, 18:29   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
As gurnard says if you have a box trailer what I did is put a piece of wood like a transom at the front bolted on then fixed the motor on its just like a transom then, then under the gear box plenty of packing carpet ideal or you could bolt wood down and make a cradle up to you really
Old 14 April 2019, 19:18   #4

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Hi Cumbria did you get the trailer or are you still looking. How is the boat as well hopefully you are enjoying it more now u are building up the confidence
Old 14 April 2019, 19:49   #5

Thx

Trailer is a insuspension trailer so load needed on it to get a good suspension, it bounces a bit , more than car so bit consurned that outboard will move about... m8 looking to make me a fram for it to stand up and be lashed..

Blooming van electrics acting up , local insuspension dealer fitted tow bar on van 2 years ago, I have never used electrics only used as bike rack holder. When I rang them told me could not prioritise aand would look when the could find time at some point.... no way would I use this insuspension again.

Trailer good works well on the car, need to get out again asap.... hope to get out soon
Old 14 April 2019, 19:50   #6

Ps looking forward to getting out sibbing again with u haggis
Old 15 April 2019, 23:17   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I've certainly seen small box trailers bouncing around a lot more than the tow car over pot holes and speed bumps. Probably empty or very little load though. If it was me I might be inclined to cut some heavy duty closed cell foam or expanded polyethlyene foam (the stuff that looks like polystyrene but won't snap) to hold the engine snuggly and stop it sliding around. Gurnard's old carpet probably does a similar job. If he's suggesting transporting it upright - I think you just create a load of centre-of-gravity issues.
Old 16 April 2019, 05:14   #8

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Could maybe fix a really low transom in the trailer and transport the motor in the fully tilted position, gearbox resting on the floor?
Old 16 April 2019, 07:14   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yup guys..with hindsight my generic reply is possibly lacking info as is Cumbria’s initial question where its not clear the size of the box trailer or what is meant by lashing

For clarity of my initial reply ...

It was simply suggesting the OB would get bounced and vibrated about as much if is upright or lying flat. I appreciate trailers bounce more than cars but I also appreciate having the OB fixed to a transom in a rough sea causes a great deal of bounce and vibration. Possible more so than even the smallest box trailer trip ? My aux engines are in the raised (laying flat) position in those circumstances while the main is vertical.. therefore I guess the OB are designed to withstand vibrations in both those positions.

I totally agree with Poly..a 40Kg engine head stood vertical in a small Halfords box trailer is asking for trouble due to the high CG of a light trailer. On a much larger box trailer.. like the Conway trailer tent I used to own.. it would take it standing no problem. I used to pack that trailer tent with all our gear .. including dishes and jars of food..but because everything was packed correctly.. nothing broke.

As such I would go with Jeff and Limecc suggestion to securely fix a stout bar across the small box trailer and clamp the OB to it so it cant move.. ensuring the gearbox is also secured to the floor. Far better keeping the weight low then a small box trailer wont risk overturn on a tight corner. Pad it with carpet or foam to protect it from other objects in the trailer that are not secured.

No damage to either OB in these positions despite sea bounce of hundreds of hours. They have to be secured though regardless of vertical or horizontal.

So choice of position is yours Cumbria ..but keep in mind Poly’s CG comment if the trailer is a small box trailer. Secure lashing is the critical part regardless
Old 16 April 2019, 11:03   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
there's no issue with bounce if its bolted & secured down with plenty of packing it becomes part of the trailer then it's when the trailer moves independent from the engine when it starts to do damage, likewise with a boat when its packed in the bag if its not got packing round it the trailer will wear it where it rubs, interlocking foam tiles out of halfords are ideal they can be cut glued and fitted inside the trailer ive had some on my boat floor for two years with no sign of wear

Tags
outboard