Old 18 July 2013, 21:58   #1

Length: 4m +
Outboard engine dilemma

Hello,

I'm after some advice. I currently have a 60 hp 2 stroke Mariner - mid 90's model - it's great apart from the crankshaft bearings are rattling. I thought about getting it repaired but I'm thinking is it really worth it? Does anyone really want a 20 year old 2 stroke outboard? I looked at a new four stroke but at £5500 for a 60 hp Mariner; that's pretty pricey for the amount of use it would get. I looked at second hand 60hp four strokes but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse ****. I then noticed these Evinrude 2 strokes ETecs - everyone seem to say they are good and supper efficient? Are they? How do they compare to the 4 strokes on fuel economy or my current 60hp two stroke?

I don't want to spend a fortune on a new engine but I also don't want to repair my current one if it's good money after bad...

What do you think? I'm scratching my head over this one...

Cheers
Old 18 July 2013, 22:02   #2

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Get the ETEC. Cracking engine. Should be better than your current one by a fair margin on fuel. South Coast will do you a good deal on one.
Old 18 July 2013, 22:16   #3

Better than a four stroke Mariner?
Old 18 July 2013, 22:20   #4

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
I'd say so, but it's a personal choice and opinions vary. I love two strokes and white Evinrudes. Don't ask, just goes way back and the ETecs tick all the boxes for me. They're the cleanest of the lot as well and self winterise and dewinterise.
Old 18 July 2013, 22:22   #5

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by nige1 View Post
it's great apart from the crankshaft bearings are rattling. Cheers
A bit of a contradiction - if they are rattling what else might be suspect .

Unless you can repair it cheaply yourself - its time to upgrade.
Old 18 July 2013, 22:27   #6

I guess it's time to put my Mariner 2 stroke to bed then.

How old do you think I should go on the Evinrudes - would a 2007 model be a good choice or is it better to go newer. Are there any gotchas I should be looking for when purchasing one. I hear they do not need much maintenance compared to a four stroke..
Old 19 July 2013, 06:53   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
If going 4 stroke they are about on the usual advertising places but for the best value as with small SIB engines buy one already attached to another boat - just buy the package and sell the boat on, much easier to find one this was and it will be cheaper.

As an example though a 60 Mariner here:

mariner 60 efi 4strok 2004 £2.500 no offers | eBay
Old 19 July 2013, 07:25   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
If going 4 stroke they are about on the usual advertising places but for best value buy one already attached to another boat - just buy the package and sell the boat on, much easier to find one this was and it will be cheaper.

As an example though a 60 Mariner here:

mariner 60 efi 4strok 2004 £2.500 no offers | eBay
+1

and by far the cheapest way of doing it but it is more of a pain so I suppose it depends how rich you are! Just remember to give any engine a good look over if buying private as there is a huge amount of rubbish out there.

Oh I also know of a private sale of a 50hp 2006 that is Portsmouth area ish if that helps that is in vgc.
Old 19 July 2013, 09:48   #9

Thank you for all of the advise. I'm swaying towards the Evinrude at the moment. How can you tell if a secondhand outboard is in good condition - apart from listening for rattles (which I'm very good at now ) and it's general condition. If say I went for a 2010 model would it just be a case of ringing a dealer and asking them to check on the service history and that the warranty is still valid?
Old 20 July 2013, 17:08   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If you are buying an outboard privately, then the first thing to do is check proof of ownership, so that's paperwork and receipts and plenty of them. The serial number will also age the outboard. An hour meter is also a useful guide, but don't rely on that 100%.

Next on to the general running of the engine. Always buy after you've seen it running. And where possible check its started from cold. There are things you can check yourself such as tell-tale stream strength, smooth idle, vibration, compression on all cylinders within factory specification, etc. I'd also pull the plugs - this can highlight a multitude of problems. Plugs should be dry, with almost a light copper dusting on the electrode. Also check out the propeller for any signs of damage, the skeg, and sacrificial anodes are doing their job.

If its been serviced, then all well and good, if not, then budget for a new water-pump impeller, new sparks, gear oil, thermostat, etc. Not sure about ETECs (need specific spark plug installation procedure called indexing), but I'd be expecting £200+ unless you're any good with spanners and can DIY. This is a useful guide on ETEC spark installation. Spark Plug Indexing – How To | Evinrude Nation Community

Other things to look at is the trim and tilt. It should go up and down smoothly. Check for any signs of hydraulic fluid weep. An intermittent or noisy trim could be a sign the trim motor is failing (worn carbon brushes), dodgy electrics, low hydraulic fluid, etc.

On the subject of electrics, then check the condition of the loom itself. The remote control and wiring loom are expensive to repair or replace. Special interest should be made to areas with more insulation tape than you can shake a stick at!

Check the condition of the battery. Should be sitting at 12.7 volts before cranking. If it needs replaced then you're looking at at least another £100+. If the battery isn't maintenance free and can be inspected, then check the battery acid level. You can top up with de-ionised water. You can also charge before trips. A cheap multimeter is a really useful tool for checking battery condition, isolating and pinpointing electric faults, etc.

Good luck!