Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 26 February 2013, 02:11   #1

Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Outboard Advice for 4.65 m SIB

It's for a Zodiac WB 465 that will not be trailered, so weight is important. It'll mostly have 2-4 people plus some gear, but once in a while, I may have as many as 8 people in it.

I'm thinking of a 30hp ETEC Evinrude (long shaft, rope, tiller), but worried that I might be left wanting for more power.

A) What do you advise?

B) I've heard that I can only go as far as 40 hp in the ETEC Evinrude line up before I MUST get electric start/trip/tilt. True?

C) I've heard that one wouldn't want to rope start a 40hp+ 2-stroke. True?

D) 4 stroke? (Gotta admit that I like the idea of a 2-stroke with low maintenance with similar fuel consumption and emissions and more torque but am I just falling prey to Evinrude propaganda?)
Old 26 February 2013, 12:08   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
a) If you can lift it, go for the max. Having sais that, juicve on the water is one thing, when you then have to carry it 200 yds backto your ctruck, it;s becomes a very differnet proposal!

b) Definetly want an Etec? if you can live with the smell, you may find a twin cyl premix machine will give the same Hp with a lot less mass......

c) Maybe. there was a thread recvently about "biuggest you've ever pull started" - some havve yanked 150Hp to life (emergency start having removed the cowl) . Years ago I was on a rescue boat with a twin cyl Mariner 40 Autolube. Easy to pull start, as I did lots of times that week. Granted I was younger back then..... Where I'm going here is that a lot of 30s are actually de- rated 40s, so the differnece to pull start will be negligible.

d) usually heavier, although Hondas & the new generation of Yams appear to be comparable with auto mixing 2- strokes. One thing to watch - if you aren't towing it, they are very fussy as to which way down you lay them so the oil in the sump stays in the sump...

Thoughts for the mix -
Suz DT30 (elect start version) - approx 75Kg.
Merc Clamshell 50/ 60 Hp - (again elect start version) 82KG.
As the merc was sold pre "prop HP rating", it's probably closer to 45Hp at the prop....

Nothing is ever simple!
Old 26 February 2013, 13:07   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
If going for an electric start engine, do you plan to install a central console ? If not will have battery jumping inside deck, unless you make a proper housing for baterry to stay in place.

Something to bear in mind, will you "always" be transporting 8 passengers on every outing ? If not a 30 will suit you well with less passengers at plane, with full passengers expect non planing speed. 2 strokes are lighter than same 4 strokes versions.

Happy Boating
Old 26 February 2013, 18:13   #4

Good call loco.

A 30 with a lower pitch prop for "bus mode" might be a sensible alternative?

And owww I obviously didn't have spell check switched on for that last post!
Old 27 February 2013, 04:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
One thing to watch - if you aren't towing it, they are very fussy as to which way down you lay them so the oil in the sump stays in the sump...
THanks. D0 you mean that the 2-stroke Evinrudes are sensitive to the way you lay them down, or the other 4-strokes?
Old 27 February 2013, 06:49   #6

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
If you want to stay away from electric start, there is the ETEC 65 hp Commercial, which is rope start & tiller. It has heavier duty gears than the regular 40-60 hp ETECs, but weighs the same.
Old 27 February 2013, 10:27   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectile View Post
THanks. D0 you mean that the 2-stroke Evinrudes are sensitive to the way you lay them down, or the other 4-strokes?
He means you can lay a 2 stroke down on either side and you can only lay the 4 strokes down on one side which tends to be v obvious as they have sort of lumps. sorry not explaining the "lumps very well"

dave
Old 28 February 2013, 15:23   #8

Dave, thanks. Not been online for a while......

Yep, jsut to confirm - 4 stroke are fussy. 2- stroke with a built in oil tank will only be as fussy as the seal on the filler cap!
Old 18 June 2013, 19:10   #9

I've decided to get an ETEC 30 hp. 2 main reasons:

1) I decided to get a trailer for my WB465, and I'll be trailering it very long distances, so I'm concerned about the outboard weight hanging on the transom and bouncing around. The ETEC 30 hp is only 150 lbs long shaft.

PLUS

2) At the end of the season, I like to take out the floorboards and give the boat a good cleaning, and it seems that with anything over 30 hp, I'm looking at 200-250 lbs bolted on the transom - tough to take off...

So I'll have to settle for the lower performance of a 30 hp engine. Most of the time, it'll just be my wife and 2 young kids with some gear, so we should be able to plane. I'm not expecting a lot of excitement, though.

The alternative I was considering was a 40 hp Yamaha 4-stroke, but it only comes as electric start and trim and weighs about 220 lbs.
Old 01 July 2013, 21:49   #10

This cool vid has me thinking that the ETEC 30 will be enough... Mind you, FC470 has a Futura hull, and I don't. I wonder how much of a difference that would make.

Old 01 July 2013, 21:52   #11

Can anybody tell if that is an FC470 or an FC 420? I'm pretty sure that it's an FC 470.