Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 11 September 2003, 06:47   #1

Osprey XR20 with 225 overpowered?

Got opportunity to buy this 6.2m RIB with Suzuki 225 EFI with trailer, double A frame, 2 extra seats, GPS etc for a little under £6,000 (needs a new prop, as current is a little dinged).

Osprey spec says 150 max on this boat, although they tell me that the weight of a 225 is roughly the same and so is OK. However, I'm not sure if there are other issues with a RIB being 'over engined'?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated!
Old 11 September 2003, 07:39   #2

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
dear marco

I know of the boat and when I saw it last year it looked in good nicked. And that it would be very fast

My mate has the Ospery XR24, 7.3m with a 225 on the back, and he doesn't have any problems with the hull.

Over-powered boats ey. Well really your main concern shouldbe the transom, extra weight and power will put extra stress on the transom causing it to 'flex' alot more resulting in it cracking. Obviously there are ways of preventing this, like bolting extra brackets through the knee's and / or the deck to the transom.

Also the Suzuki 225, my mates came with one of these with the 2 spark plugs per cylinder. And all he has had is problems with it, so many problems that he has only gone out once this year without the outboard breaking down leaving him strandard. All sorts from the main electrics box, to right now his gearbox is off because the motor was stuck in 'forward' , to the started motor etc etc etc.

Finally where is the boat because I am over on Saturday so fancy a looksy to see the boat, but doubt I would consider buying it because I can buy a new Pro-sport for the price of that Ospery and a new outboard it would need in a year or so, depending on how bad it was.

Might catch ya over in Donkey land at the weekend
Lee
Old 11 September 2003, 07:46   #3

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Re: Osprey XR20 with 225 overpowered?

Quote:
Originally posted by markco
Got opportunity to buy this 6.2m RIB with Suzuki 225 EFI with trailer, double A frame, 2 extra seats, GPS etc for a little under £6,000 (needs a new prop, as current is a little dinged).

Osprey spec says 150 max on this boat, although they tell me that the weight of a 225 is roughly the same and so is OK. However, I'm not sure if there are other issues with a RIB being 'over engined'?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated!
Well, the weight thing only means it probably won't try and sink itself as soon as you put it in the water!

There's the driving it issue - it would be possible (likely) that someone who isn't used to driving high powered boats could scare the cr** out of themselves.

Then there's the transom issue - if the boat hasn't been strenthened for a bigger engine will the transom stay on the boat? I think another call to Osprey might be in order, although they'll probably say "it's up to you" if they've got any sense!

Hope the above helps a bit!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2003, 15:50   #4

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Pictures

I'd be very interested to see a picture of this beast especially for under £6k. Good luck with Osprey !
Old 12 September 2003, 14:11   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
This is a huge amount of power. An XR20 will do 44 mph with a 100 hp engine. The XR series were built as a sports boat for the European market orginally rather than as dive boats therefore they are alot lighter. They have the same construction techniques as Scorpions. Since the boat part of Offshore Components has been sold to a Belgium company you may not have a lot of joy speaking with them. How about changing the engine with something less radical ?

Pete
Old 13 September 2003, 15:47   #6

Make: Pro-Sport
Length: 5m +
Over powered

Pro-Sport did a lot of work to this RIB 2 years ago including fitting 100 gallon fuel tank, We also beefed up the transom as 225 would have definitly fallen of the back????

For 6K this RIB is an excellent rib epescially for a first RIB, cheap and chearfull,, Although it does Chine a bit flat out, top speed if you can hold it long enough 60kts + but was getting a bit out of control?

but go for it the rib will only go as fast as you push the throttle forward and it sits happy at 35kts all day
Old 17 September 2003, 15:04   #7

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for all the feedback - It was all very helpful and informative.

Thought that you all would want to know that we bought the RIB and hopefully I will be out for a play in it tomorrow (weather here in Guernsey is blinding at the moment!)

Thanks again all!!!
Old 17 September 2003, 19:16   #8

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
nice one m8

i'll be over again in a few weeks, if ya up for a pint I'll let ya closer to time

SO does it really go all the way to 65kts???
Old 17 September 2003, 20:10   #9

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Markco,

Just a thought ... Will your insurance company cover it, if you exceed the "official" maximum size of engine for the boat?

Chris.