Old 03 June 2013, 08:57   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Opinion on a dealer problem.

Got an issue that I would appareciate peoples opinion on.

I had a problem with the SS fuel tank where the welds had cracked and had let water into the fuel. Local dealer who had also fitted the engines offered to arrange to have a new tank made, there was no formal quote but a loose figure of £700 was mentioned, he was having it made by a thrid party so I would trust him on the price being reasonable. The old tank was supplied to the fabricators for them to copy, they utilised the old filling spigot but the rest of the tank would be brand new. The new tank arrived, looked excellent and much tidier than the old one ever did, it was installed but some time later I had another incident of water in the fuel. Assumed it must be connections which weren't right, ran through all of them but everything seemed fine. I took the boat to another Glasgow Evinrude dealer for him to try to resolve the issue, he found that the welds on the fuel pick up spigots were leaking and had to be rewelded, I also had to replce the injectors in the engine that had been running off the new tank, a bill of £3,750.

I have been billed for the new fuel tank at a cost of £1,200, seems very expensive especially given that they had the old tank which must have been worth a few quid for scrap. Had everything been good with it I would just shrug, pay it and move on, however I have ended up having to shell out a small fortune as a result of it being sub standard.

What on earth should I do?
Old 03 June 2013, 09:25   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I think I'd be writing a Dear Sir letter with a report attached from the people who eventually sorted it out.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2013, 11:13   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
You don't say why you took the boat to a second dealer to resolve the issue - did the first dealer refuse to do so?

If you didn't give the first dealer a chance to make good the damage, they will be more than reluctance to pay the charges of the second dealer.
Old 03 June 2013, 12:14   #4

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You don't say why you took the boat to a second dealer to resolve the issue - did the first dealer refuse to do so?

If you didn't give the first dealer a chance to make good the damage, they will be more than reluctance to pay the charges of the second dealer.
+1!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2013, 13:11   #5

The first dealer has a history of things taking severel times the length of time than it should to deal with jobs. I'm not really expecting him to pay for the bigger bill, I really just wonder whether I should pay him anything for the tank?
Old 03 June 2013, 16:06   #6

Pay the £700 for the tank itself, not thr extra £550 for the labour as clearly it was rubbish! Although considering the damage that was caused, maybe just show them 2 fingers
Old 03 June 2013, 18:05   #7

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
As you have not got a quote, his price of £1200 less the cost of what you paid for the second repair.

If you feel the £1200 is excessive, ask for a cost break down materials/labour etc. and negotiate from there.
As always, get quote first and give the chap the chance to rectify.

Hindsight, wonderful thing to have
Old 03 June 2013, 18:17   #8

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
If the original fuel pipe spigots were utilised in the new tank, then the fault lies with the original tank fabricators, nothing to do with the new tank fabricators workmanship surely?

On the flip side, anyone taking on the responsibility of building a petrol tank should be pressure testing the tank before it goes out. Had they done that then the leak wouldve be highlighted and easily rectified.

Technically I dont think you've got much of a leg to stand on but I would go to the various parties concerned, put across the points above and see if they'll negotiate. If they all soak up a bit of the loss then all the better for you.

If you really don't want to pay, they know they could have a real struggle to force you to. They may realise they're better off just getting what they can back and moving on.
Old 03 June 2013, 19:30   #9

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
anyone taking on the responsibility of building a petrol tank should be pressure testing the tank before it goes out. Had they done that then the leak wouldve be highlighted and easily rectified
Thats where I see it .. fitting a bum tank wasnt the installers problem, the manufacturer should satisfy himself his work was good .. bespoke or otherwise
Old 03 June 2013, 19:47   #10

The £1,200 was just for the fabrication of the tank, the spigots which leaked were newly fabricated ones.

Do you think I should offer to pay part of the cost of the tank fabrication?
Old 03 June 2013, 20:11   #11

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
Got an issue that I would appareciate peoples opinion on.

I had a problem with the SS fuel tank where the welds had cracked and had let water into the fuel. Local dealer who had also fitted the engines offered to arrange to have a new tank made, there was no formal quote but a loose figure of £700 was mentioned, he was having it made by a thrid party so I would trust him on the price being reasonable. The old tank was supplied to the fabricators for them to copy, they utilised the old filling spigot but the rest of the tank would be brand new. The new tank arrived, looked excellent and much tidier than the old one ever did, it was installed but some time later I had another incident of water in the fuel. Assumed it must be connections which weren't right, ran through all of them but everything seemed fine. I took the boat to another Glasgow Evinrude dealer for him to try to resolve the issue, he found that the welds on the fuel pick up spigots were leaking and had to be rewelded, I also had to replce the injectors in the engine that had been running off the new tank, a bill of £3,750.

I have been billed for the new fuel tank at a cost of £1,200, seems very expensive especially given that they had the old tank which must have been worth a few quid for scrap. Had everything been good with it I would just shrug, pay it and move on, however I have ended up having to shell out a small fortune as a result of it being sub standard.

What on earth should I do?
You've been done. Don't know what you can do now. But I think I would have lost my temper with someone by now. Talk to the guys who supplied the tank. Tell them you're not happy. 2 a lot more tha 7
Old 03 June 2013, 20:26   #12

You said the old spigots were used earlier .. but then said new ones were fabricated ?

Seems central to your problem ? which is it ?
Old 03 June 2013, 20:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
You said the old spigots were used earlier .. but then said new ones were fabricated ?

Seems central to your problem ? which is it ?
The filler spigot was reused, the fuel pick up spigots which were the issue were new.
Old 03 June 2013, 20:46   #14

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Seems a bit odd to me that you're getting so much water in via small fractures. Are you sure the source of water isn't somewhere else? Is this tank constantly getting splashed or submerged?

Do you have a water separator/filter in your fuel feed to the engine. I'd be surprised if a modern fit out didn't include one which should prevent injector problems. Not sure anyone of the dealers/mechanics have served you particularly well in this instance.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2013, 20:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
The filler spigot was reused, the fuel pick up spigots which were the issue were new.
I see .. so the builder made a tank.. with new pick ups but used your old filler ? .. and the pick ups he installed didnt work ?
Old 03 June 2013, 20:58   #16

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Hindsight etc.,

So I won't go there.

If one were to do this again, get an estimate and then a quote in writing. Two very different things these......an estimate and a quote. You can hold someone to a quote but not an estimate.

Agree what's being used and re-used and what is fit for purpose.......a true pro will not go anywhere near kit that may cause his/her handiwork to fail.

However some very understanding pro's are very understanding of your budget and will incorporate used items. It is these guys that end up taking it on the chin as they stand up to their word and if using "used" kit will generally get you going regardless.

I should point out that in the end, if you want it done properly ( and a SS tank is someway there ), then using old parts is asking for trouble.

£1500 is more than twice the £700 but way less than £3750. But that's stating the obvious.

I run the risk of being told that in this case you may need to use a different petrol station also.

This is all looking to the future you understand. If you were to do this again. Not telling you what you should have done.

Old 03 June 2013, 21:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post

I see .. so the builder made a tank.. with new pick ups but used your old filler ? .. and the pick ups he installed didnt work ?
Exactly so.

The Arctic has an open transom so the back of the tank can have the sea sloshing around it.