Old 01 April 2016, 17:56   #1

Town: Bere Peninsular
Make: Seasearch
Length: 4m +
Engine: MarinerMarathon 25
Old petrol

Just realised I've got 10 ltrs of unleaded in a can which is 6-7 months old.
Is it ok to use this in my 2st 25 Mariner? or just add a bit to each tank of fresh fuel.
Old 01 April 2016, 18:03   #2

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
I'd mix it with a little fresh, will be fine
Old 01 April 2016, 18:06   #3

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I have had three great days using my 3.3hp two stroke mariner this year.. on fuel I mixed 50:1 and have kept since last September. Ran a sweet as always.. its up to you what you do
Old 01 April 2016, 18:30   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Stablise it if not sure but should be ok still I have only had trouble after 12 months it was easy when I had a petrol car it got put in there to get home
Old 01 April 2016, 19:00   #5

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
it will be fine
Old 01 April 2016, 19:11   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I've never had an outboard not start or play up on fuel up to a year old. However it may not run at it's best so I try and mix 50/50 with new and get it used that way.

Must admit one advantage to me with moving to 4-stroke is that we run two petrol cars here and I can put left over fuel in the cars after each trip meaning the outboard is using new fuel all the time.
Old 01 April 2016, 22:54   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I was told the part of the fuel that degrades is the lighter more volatile part which assists cold starting
So my theory is if it starts it's fine
Old 02 April 2016, 11:48   #8

Town: Bere Peninsular
Make: Seasearch
Engine: MarinerMarathon 25
Thanks for your replies gents, I think I'll just add a bit of the old fuel to each tank of fresh.
Wasn't sure if the old petrol could damage the engine but you have put my mind at ease thanks.
Jim
Old 02 April 2016, 17:13   #9

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Are you sure that boating is for you if you are bothering about £10 of fuel
Old 02 April 2016, 18:09   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Are you sure that boating is for you if you are bothering about £10 of fuel
It's the age of the fuel that the OP is concerned about - not the volume. The answers apply just as much to the 300L of petrol you probably have lying in your own tank!

The OP may have no conventional way to get rid of unusable petrol (if such exists ) - diesel car, electric garden tools...
Old 05 April 2016, 11:00   #11

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
I don't want to derail this conversation too much so apologies to OP if I do... but I have related question that bugs me somewhat... there is lots of talk of "old fuel" per this thread and various issues with engines, carbs, injectors, etc. associated with said fuel.

Now I might be in the minority here, but I have 4 stroke lawnmowers that have run for 15+ years without so much as an oil change never mind the crap petrol that has been thrown in them over the years. They have always started first pull and never given me a moment of trouble.... why is that OBEs seem troubled with "old fuel" and other issues? Or is that just my impression. Is it simply down the abuse they suffer on the open sea? And why such concern about "age of fuel" etc. when this has never (noticeably) affected any of my "land engines"? Perhaps it's a 2-stroke vs 4-stroke thing?
Old 05 April 2016, 11:47   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
agree but bit different breaking down on your front lawn than out at sea all about managing the risks, but treatments say it will last for 12 months so end of season treat.
i still use it for the lawn mower etc and top up when i go out in the boat of course you can run it right down before storing.

cheers
Old 05 April 2016, 12:08   #13

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Stigomery In 40 years of boating I've never had a problem with old fuel even in 30 years in the motor trade I never had a problem with old fuel even old cars we dragged out of barns and garages managed to Burst into life without changing fuel (Assuming no other problems)
I'd suspect people who have had issues with old fuel ( last seasons) have actually had a problem with a bit of dirt in there carb or solidified oil left when the petrol has evaporated & after messing around changing fuel etc the engine has run but quite likely had they persevered the engine would have run anyway.
I'd imagine there is some substance in the myth that old fuel is no good in that in certain circumstances the fuel can deteriorate but I'm my opinion they are few and far between.
As I said earlier I was told it was the more volatile portion or the fuel that degrades so if it starts initially then your probably going to be fine.
No doubt I'll be shot down in flames for daring to state that old fuel problems are somewhat of an urban myth but that's my experience & belief
Old 05 April 2016, 12:50   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
No doubt I'll be shot down in flames for daring to state that old fuel problems are somewhat of an urban myth but that's my experience & belief
...it's an explosive topic ATM.

Old 05 April 2016, 13:10   #15

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixyblob View Post
Thanks for your replies gents, I think I'll just add a bit of the old fuel to each tank of fresh.
Wasn't sure if the old petrol could damage the engine but you have put my mind at ease thanks.
Jim
Hi all

I had herd that the 2 stroke oil if premix starts to seperate,also moisture is atracted to petrol.Stored,fill your tank to brim will eliminate the moisture side of things or lesson it.
Old 05 April 2016, 13:35   #16

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I have happily run a premix 2- stroke on premix petrol we later realiaed was 8 years old..... OK, it smoked a bit as I suspect the relative evaporation of the fuel & the TCW3 had turned it from 50:1 to something more akin to "Seagull mix" but we had a good day's boating on that can... and the engine started 2nd pull.
Old 05 April 2016, 16:41   #17

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I have run old fuel in all manner of things from mowers to outboards and all sorts between and not had an issue but that doesn't mean it's a good idea....
Old 05 April 2016, 17:00   #18

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Although I've never had a problem, I think the modern unleaded ethanol-mix fuels are far more prone to absorbing water vapour and separation than the old leaded fuels.
As I do not winterize (fire up monthly usually if I remember) or drain down the fuel systems after each use I now stabilize all fuel at point of purchase for peace of mind. Over the season I use Quicksilver Quickare and over winter Quicksilver Quickstore.....cost is negligible over the year. Probably overkill as always use fresh fuel with any leftover going into car/mowers etc. and fuel left in the lines, carbs, injectors etc. is already pre-treated anyway.
Old 06 April 2016, 08:46   #19

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
I don't want to derail this conversation too much so apologies to OP if I do... but I have related question that bugs me somewhat... there is lots of talk of "old fuel" per this thread and various issues with engines, carbs, injectors, etc. associated with said fuel.

Now I might be in the minority here, but I have 4 stroke lawnmowers that have run for 15+ years without so much as an oil change never mind the crap petrol that has been thrown in them over the years. They have always started first pull and never given me a moment of trouble.... why is that OBEs seem troubled with "old fuel" and other issues? Or is that just my impression. Is it simply down the abuse they suffer on the open sea? And why such concern about "age of fuel" etc. when this has never (noticeably) affected any of my "land engines"? Perhaps it's a 2-stroke vs 4-stroke thing?

I'm with you on this, I'm considering a 1st service on my lawnmower, 12 years old
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote