Old 25 March 2013, 00:34   #1

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Ok, I am confused!

Preparing to get a rib. Have asked numerous questions regarding my engine. There are a few things I wanted to add to it. It is a 25hp 2 stroke 2006 tohatsu outboard (shot shaft).

I asked about power tilt and trim but have established that is way too expensive. I also gather converting it to electric start would cost loads as well?

But one thing, I must, must change is converting it from tiller to remote controls.

On the tohatsu website it says you need a proper conversion kit and stuff! I am not bothered if the tiller handle still remains on the side!

I am just confused as to what I actually need to buy. The engine is going onto a 3.5m rib. Can I buy any make/model control box or does it have to be tohatsu? And what cables do I need for the throttle and steering?

I have heard so much conflicting info, and I just want an answer!

You'll be a life saver!
Old 25 March 2013, 00:59   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
You need to work out what you need...

(1) Steering.

You MAY be lucky and only need a link arm to connect the front of the engine to the end of the "piston" on the steering cable.

If your engine is like I think it is then there is a sort of U-shaped part comes forward horizontally at the front. Does it have a hole (approx 10-12 mm diam) right in the middle?

(2) Throttle and gear.

At the console end you can use "any" (e.g. mariner, yamaha) throttle. They all use standard "morse" cables. You will need to get the right end adaptor for both the control box and the engine.

I expect at the engine end the tiller throttle and gear links use very short morse cable to the same system, but you may need some sort of guide bracket / assembly, or grommets for feeding them through the casing etc.

(3) Electrics - kill cord if nothing else.

Even if you don't want electrics you need a kill cord at the helm. The tohatsu control could be marginally easier as you will be able to get a loom - but for two connections you can easily do your own wiring. You'll need to work out where it goes at the business end.
Old 25 March 2013, 01:09   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
what you need is shown on p49 of this: http://www.internetoutboards.com/Par...0221025-5).pdf
Old 25 March 2013, 01:39   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
If that's a decent Honwave, you might even find it's worth selling the whole rig and buying a ready to go older Avon SR4.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 08:01   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
(2) Throttle and gear.

At the console end you can use "any" (e.g. mariner, yamaha) throttle. They all use standard "morse" cables. You will need to get the right end adaptor for both the control box and the engine.

I expect at the engine end the tiller throttle and gear links use very short morse cable to the same system, but you may need some sort of guide bracket / assembly, or grommets for feeding them through the casing etc.
Poly is sort of correct there. You can get cables which will connect just about any engine to any control box, however some are more tricky than others. For example, Merc/Mariner/Quicksilver throttles won't accept the standard "Morse" cables - you need a specific type along with the connectors for the engine end. In the name of making life easier I would get a Tohatsu throttle.

If its just the kill cord you want to hook up it'll probably be easier to remove the wiring loom from the throttle and connect up the two wires you need to the engine. This is an easy job.