Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
Its not ATM, its a hydraulic fluid ...............

here is a quote from the quicksilver blurb ............

"Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid is designed as a universal hydraulic fluid designed to mix with all hydraulic fluids, to protect seals and hoses, and prevent foaming, oxidation and corrosion.

Designed to mix with all hydraulic fluids, it protect seals and hoses. Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid also prevents foaming, oxidation and corrosion. For use in power trim and steering systems. It is also suitable for high temperature applications
."

Go to your nearest hydraulic workshops (folk that fix hydraulic & agri plant etc) and they will sort you out with the right stuff ........ either 32 or 46 second oil ........... at your location I would use 32 sec oil .......... you only need less than a litre, it normally comes in 25L drums !

I think you missed my point [emoji106] But thanks for the information.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2018, 13:43   #22

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Engine: 150 HPDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Hi Dave I’ve never had any problem over the twelve years I’ve had the rib.
But you've certainly got an issue now though. I read a good article many years ago summarising how a father & daughter died as a result of steering that had started playing up going to hard lock & ejecting them from the boat. It stuck in my mind. I know very little about hydraulic steering, like yours mine has been flawless for years but made a note to self about heeding any tell tale signs off problems.
If I had to bodge it with an interim oil I'd use agricultural oil, which is designed for hydraulic systems. I would guess that ATF doesn't normally get compressed.
Old 03 July 2018, 14:37   #23

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonl View Post
If I had to bodge it with an interim oil I'd use agricultural oil, which is designed for hydraulic systems. I would guess that ATF doesn't normally get compressed.
Atf is a hydraulic oil, automatic gearboxes are hydraulically controled,power steering systems which also use atf are simple hydraulic circuits.
Atf is probably way over speck for a basic bog standard hydraulic steering system but it would 100% work
Old 03 July 2018, 15:47   #24

Boat name: Bluefin
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Atf is a hydraulic oil, automatic gearboxes are hydraulically controled,power steering systems which also use atf are simple hydraulic circuits.
Atf is probably way over speck for a basic bog standard hydraulic steering system but it would 100% work

True, but some of the higher spec ATF's (ATF4) dont mix too well with ordinary hydraulic oil .......... but, I cant remember the exact reason why
Old 03 July 2018, 16:06   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
True, but some of the higher spec ATF's (ATF4) dont mix too well with ordinary hydraulic oil .......... but, I cant remember the exact reason why

Colour! It'll end up pink which would be wrong[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2018, 16:44   #26

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
RIBase
Not to worry guys supply on the way as we speak. So top up tomorrow and hopefully we are good to go. I’ve checked the ram and seals and everything is dry. But tomorrow will tell [emoji106]
Thanks for all your comments although there does seem to be distinct camps those that say don’t mix and those that say mix. Anyway I’ve stayed true to marine standards. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji56]
Old 03 July 2018, 16:59   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Not to worry guys supply on the way as we speak. So top up tomorrow and hopefully we are good to go. I’ve checked the ram and seals and everything is dry. But tomorrow will tell [emoji106]
Thanks for all your comments although there does seem to be distinct camps those that say don’t mix and those that say mix. Anyway I’ve stayed true to marine standards. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji56]

Here you go Billy, straight from the manual (assuming you have a Seastar system)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3282.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	125659
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2018, 17:45   #28

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Here you go Billy, straight from the manual (assuming you have a Seastar system)
Attachment 125659

Thanks Dave appreciate your time. As I was not in a hurry I waited for the right stuff had I been in the back of beyond then I would have topped up with atf. Again many thanks mate [emoji106]🥃
Old 03 July 2018, 19:41   #29

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Go to your nearest hydraulic workshops (folk that fix hydraulic & agri plant etc) and they will sort you out with the right stuff ........ either 32 or 46 second oil ........... at your location I would use 32 sec oil .......... you only need less than a litre, it normally comes in 25L drums ![/QUOTE]

Just as a tiny correction for future reference the 32 or 46 refers to centistokes which is a measure used of the viscosity of the oil 32 being thinner than 46 hence choosing a thinner oil in a colder enviroment ,when a sec is refered to this is usually ref to the ignition time ie 28 sec kerosene
Old 03 July 2018, 19:52   #30

Quote:
If you are stuck again I'm pretty sure clyde outboards keep it in stock.
Old 03 July 2018, 20:02   #31

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
If you are stuck again I'm pretty sure clyde outboards keep it in stock.

Jesus Paul never thought of Cammy. Idiot that I am!!
Old 03 July 2018, 21:35   #32

Boat name: Bluefin
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Just as a tiny correction for future reference the 32 or 46 refers to centistokes which is a measure used of the viscosity of the oil 32 being thinner than 46 hence choosing a thinner oil in a colder enviroment ,when a sec is refered to this is usually ref to the ignition time ie 28 sec kerosene

True, so very true ............ when I was writing the above I can remember I was thinking about heating oil at the time !
Old 24 July 2018, 22:39   #33

RIBase
Thought I would bring this up to date. Filled up with Quicksilver fluid and adopted the old car method of filling and turning to opposite lock until no further space. Left open for two days to allow any further air to surface. When back after three days no movement of fluid still full. Replaced cap and set course for the Craig pics on another thread. Steering fine. On return we chaecked bilges ram pipes and behind steering wheel not a trace of oil. We both remarked than we had never topped up in thirteen years so maybe oil does evaporate[emoji106]