Old 09 May 2020, 02:44   #1

Town: Porirua
Boat name: Honey
Make: Fyran
Length: 4m +
Engine: Ouboard 30hp
No reverse

Gidday, new to the Forum, so hi everybody. Joined as i have an issue with my outboard. I have an old (1985ish) Mariner (yamaha)30hp. I decided to replace the water pump impeller and it has all turned too custard. The locking bolt that joins the 2 gear selector rods where the leg splits were seized. I managed to get one to loosen, but the other one has snapped and so i need to pull out the linkage that runs down the leg and repair it. I Have managed to remove the upper linkage no problem, but the one that goes into the gearbox is a different matter. I removed a locating screw and plastic collar from the inside of the leg at the bottom and the linkage now flops around but will not come out . I can now neither select neutral or reverse. I'm a little worried that I've cocked up and will now need to dismantle the gearbox. Can anybody please throw any light on the situation, or guide me in the direction of a workshop manual.

Thanks
Old 09 May 2020, 15:26   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Sounds like you've hauled the gear selector rod from the dog clutch. Got any pictures or video? Are you looking to replace the gear selector rod both parts?
Old 09 May 2020, 18:22   #3

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
You have pulled the selector rod too far out. The shift pin inside the prop shaft is sprung loaded and has moved out too far. You need to strip the gearbox and remove the propshaft to reseat the selector rod, then replace the propshaft. easier said than done on a 35 year old engine. There is no other way around it.

Those 30As often break where the upper shift rod connects to the linkage -the pin is pressed in and often comes loose and breaks causing a sloppy shift, well worth welding the pin in position if you have stripped out the upper linkage.
Old 09 May 2020, 20:11   #4

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
You may be lucky! First thing to do is get that gearbox in position with the propshaft vertical with the prop nut nearest the ground. Do not move it from this position. This is to stop the shifter pushrod from falling out the middle of the propshaft. You have already taken out the small self tap screw and the white retaining collar, now put vice grips onto the 10mm locking nut and give it a hit with a hammer to get the shift shaft right out the gearbox case. It’s just a big washer that’s stuck in the case. After you pull the gear shaft out the box. Take off the nut, white plastic retainer, the bellows and the washer. Clean up the parts now your ready to try get the shift shaft back in. Put it back in the hole but keep the thread as close to the drive shaft as you can and you will feel it pushing the clutch dog back in to neutral as it goes down. Long winded but you will get it back without rebuilding the box as long as you haven’t tipped the box in a way to let the shifter pin fall out the propshaft.
Old 10 May 2020, 02:27   #5

Town: Porirua
Boat name: Honey
Make: Fyran
Engine: Ouboard 30hp
Hi Guys, Thanks for your advice, Gretly appreciated.

Davie, you hit the nail on the head. I gave the selector rod a good tug and out she came. Fortunately the little selector pin was still in place so i am able to get it back together without stripping the gearbox. just need to figure out now, the best fix for the broken upper selector rod.

Are parts still available for these motors? eg gaskets etc.

Thanks
Spadgr