Old 21 May 2015, 11:17   #1

Town: Mukwonago
Boat name: Tracker
Make: Bass Tracker
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
New seal kit installation for water pump area

Just came across a 1984 Mercury 3.5hp 2 cycle outboard. I found a new water pump for it and purchased a new seal kit(part number: 26-71140A1) for installation of the water pump. I also purchased a Seloc repair manual. My question is since it is not clear in the Seloc manual how the seal kit for the water pump installation goes, in what order the seals go into the water pump can someone please send me a diagram on how the seals go onto the drive shaft in and around the new water pump? The serial number of my motor is: 6298133. Thank you for your help.
Old 21 May 2015, 11:54   #2

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnidly View Post
Just came across a 1984 Mercury 3.5hp 2 cycle outboard. I found a new water pump for it and purchased a new seal kit(part number: 26-71140A1) for installation of the water pump. I also purchased a Seloc repair manual. My question is since it is not clear in the Seloc manual how the seal kit for the water pump installation goes, in what order the seals go into the water pump can someone please send me a diagram on how the seals go onto the drive shaft in and around the new water pump? The serial number of my motor is: 6298133. Thank you for your help.
Hi

You could try the reverse of taking apart.
Old 21 May 2015, 14:36   #3

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Sometimes the parts list pics - which I think you already have - can help.

Otherwise the best way is as dave says ^^^.
As you take each item off either draw a sketch or take a photo showing it before removal. Lay out the old ones in the same positions as they were in when fitted. I do that a lot. (Be careful not to kick the layout )
When removing numbers of bolts - such as those holding on casings, covers or cylinder heads - I draw a diagram of the part on cardboard & then put the bolts into holes punched with a screwdriver on the correct part of the diagram as I remove them. You can do the same with nuts & washers, just use sticky tape to hold them to the card. Old cardboard boxes are ideal.
Be especially careful with seals as they often need to be fitted a specific way round to work.
Old 21 May 2015, 18:19   #4

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Any help...?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1432232344.429569.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	105509