Click Here to Login

Old 19 September 2009, 15:28   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
New Land Rover engines for RIBs.

Following on from the Yellowfin thread and the mention of Caudwell's axis drive I saw an article in Motor Boats Monthly about them. It seems Caudwell is in partnership with an amazing bloke I met once called Mike Beachy Head(seriously) who runs a load of awesome planes like Lightnings and Hunters etc out of South Africa.

The drives look pretty amazing but it's the engine choice that is so special. The new Jag/LandRover V6 - prob the finest diesel on the market at the moment. This will be 300 - 350hp and they will also use the Range Rover V8 diesel supercharged - 450hp and only 400kgs all up - the Volvo D4 at 300hp weighs in at over 600kgs and the D6 370 is over 800kgs!!!

This will prob be the ultimate engine for a RIB - 450hp and 400kg is incredible for a diesel and it's a very compact installation as well.

Oh and they are made in Wales.........
Old 19 September 2009, 15:54   #2
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Yeh the caudwell drive looks to be the future saw the one fitted to the ballistic at the boat show , the big attraction for me is they have no bellows as this is what is expensive to change on conventional sterndrive boats and when they go wrong sink them.

James
Old 19 September 2009, 19:55   #3

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Where's te video?

Yeah, yeah,yawwwwwwwn. Show my the video! Has anyone seen these things in a boat?
Old 19 September 2009, 20:11   #4

Well the petrol versions are already out and there is no reason why the Jag/Land Rover engine won't be used soon!!!

Mike Beachy head is a billionaire and money isn't a problem. It seemed to me the whole story behind Yellowfin was more PR and marketing - they seemed more interested in awards and accolades than getting the job done(IMHO)!!!

http://www.caudwellmarine.com/files/...T_YACHTING.pdf
Old 19 September 2009, 20:54   #5

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoing View Post
Yeah, yeah,yawwwwwwwn. Show my the video! Has anyone seen these things in a boat?

I can't find a video but would a picture do?

http://www.goldenarrow.co.uk/

Old 20 September 2009, 11:16   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
In my view BMW lead the way with diesels. Unbeatable refinement with power and reasonable economy.
Old 20 September 2009, 12:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
In my view BMW lead the way with diesels. Unbeatable refinement with power and reasonable economy.
They did - until these new Jag/LR engines came out - the 3L V6 is getting rave reviews.
Old 20 September 2009, 13:00   #8

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 7.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Caudwell Marine 350
An intro from Caudwell Marine in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoing View Post
Unfortunately I have no video to show you, however having run said Ballistic as mentioned elsewhere in this thread for now the best part of 40hrs, I can assure you it works very very well indeed!

This Ballistic is best describe as a converted, at point of mould/construction, a converted 7.8mtr hull into which we have installed the Caudwell Marine 350vi petrol, there is in fact a second Ballistic in existence running an early V8 diesel as we speak. One of the “New Land Rover engine”....

The petrol V8 & V6 platform are Nissan sourced 4500cc & 3500cc engines, the diesel V8 & V6 platform are indeed Ford sourced 4400cc & 2993cc units.

I’d be keen to hear any comments / questions from anyone concerning the Caudwell Marine range, equally so I’d be only to happy to show anyone the Ballistic if you happen to be passing in our direction.

Kind regards,
Will Marrs
Golden Arrow Marine
Old 21 September 2009, 13:58   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
They did - until these new Jag/LR engines came out - the 3L V6 is getting rave reviews.
I believe the 3 litre BMW / Yanmar package is the only engine that is commercially available as a marinised unit, and that is the package we will be fitting to the new boat (X2). If (and that is a BIG IF) the Jag/LR motors get the marinising treatment I will look at them, but like the V10 VW diesel they will remain in cars unless you get very creative in a big way.

The BMW unit doesn't have variable turbos, but the Yanmar has a wastegate and a totally different ECU along with a number of other changes to make it suitable for a boat, and in addition to this the class I will be competing in is for commercially available marine engines counting any other package out.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2009, 14:17   #10

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
but like the V10 VW diesel they will remain in cars unless you get very creative in a big way.
So what's wrong with the VW Marine engines then? Or is it that they're not past V8 yet? Still 350Hp
Old 21 September 2009, 15:41   #11

Quote:
I believe the 3 litre BMW / Yanmar package is the only engine that is commercially available as a marinised unit, and that is the package we will be fitting to the new boat (X2). If (and that is a BIG IF) the Jag/LR motors get the marinising treatment I will look at them, but like the V10 VW diesel they will remain in cars unless you get very creative in a big way.

The BMW unit doesn't have variable turbos, but the Yanmar has a wastegate and a totally different ECU along with a number of other changes to make it suitable for a boat, and in addition to this the class I will be competing in is for commercially available marine engines counting any other package out.
Well the article in the boat mag said those were the engines Caudwell Marine were going to fit.
Old 21 September 2009, 15:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
So what's wrong with the VW Marine engines then? Or is it that they're not past V8 yet? Still 350Hp
Nothing at all, but as I said unless it's a secret they haven't marinised the 5 litre V10 - do you know better?

The class I am intending to race is up to 3.25 litres times two meaning a combined engine capacity of 6.5 litres, the next class is up to 10 litres combined, and I want to put a motor in that would be truly representative of something a leisure boat would have fitted, and the only sensible choice that I have found ready to fit is either the 3 litre Yanmar or the 3.2 litre Steyr.

I hope that makes it clear enough?
Old 21 September 2009, 16:02   #13

Quote:
Well the article in the boat mag said those were the engines Caudwell Marine were going to fit.
Fair point, but as the V8 petrol version isn't commercially available quite yet (I believe), I can't wait until the diesels are on the market - it also requires something like a 45 degree angled transom, and I don't want to make moulds for a single engine and drive option - we are too small to pay for two moulds I'm afraid. The V8 is the Nissan 350hp one and will no doubt be a great package, but I would want to see that thing raced in earnest before I make a commitment like that!
Old 21 September 2009, 16:13   #14

I agree you can't hang on - the LR engines won't be out until 2010 and 2011.......
Old 21 September 2009, 18:04   #15

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
I hope that makes it clear enough?
Yep, ta
Old 25 September 2009, 11:44   #16

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
I agree you can't hang on - the LR engines won't be out until 2010 and 2011.......
If they're still being made - after this weeks news.