Old 17 May 2017, 05:35   #1

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
New 25hp 4s Suzi or Yam

Hi

I am thinking about replacing my 25hp 2 stroke for a 4stroke but am undecided about which one to go for. I bought the sib primarily for fishing and the 2 stroke is great for cruising but hates trolling.

My sib is always on the trailer, engine on remotes, and the Suzuki df25 and Yamaha f25 are top of my list and within the transom rating.
Price wise that i have found, they are very similar. The Suzuki is a bit heavier but the Yamaha is only 2 cylinder where the Suzuki is a 3 cylinder.

So will there be nothing in it or would you go for the Suzuki due to it having 3 cylinders? Appreciate your views.
Old 17 May 2017, 06:54   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i have the suzuki 25 2015 and love it the sound from the 3 cylinder engine is great very smooth running at tick over and will and does tick over all day. i recently got within 5 m of an otter at ERR with the engine still running. fuel wise 18 ltrs of fuel for 49 miles my 43 ltr tank lasts me all week when on holiday. there's a bit of info on my new boat thread.
i wouldn't discount the yam either ive had a 60 & 4 hp great engines do consider where you can get them serviced as thats a big one to keep warranty up if buying new or within the warranty period
Old 17 May 2017, 08:57   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
It's a nice choice to have Steve.

Jeff brings up an important point that may be a greater factor than some spec details... how far is your dealer for each? For example my Suzuki dealer is somewhere I would never go and to drop then collect the following day is close to 4hrs travelling. They both need dealer only services to keep up the 5yr warranty.

As you say the prices discounted are about the same. The lighter weight of the Yamaha doesn't matter to you but might help future resale for those who might consider it the best daily setup 25hp. I also think Yamaha might just have the edge on resale desirability.

The biggest difference... one that Jeff mentions... could be you may massively prefer the smoothness of the 3cyl Suzuki. Certainly it is a major advantage of the Suzuki 25hp over the 20hp I have. Problem is you are going... I guess... to struggle to get a demo of both.

Finally there is the irrational... do you like the look/idea of either more than the other.
Old 17 May 2017, 10:35   #4

Thanks for the replies gents, will take the points on board.

I have a Yamaha dealer about 10 miles away and the Suzuki dealer is about 20 miles away so again nothing in it really. I'm guessing service costs will be similar? Need to check that out though.
The Yamaha is the new kid on the block so not seeing many uk reviews as of yet but will look for more YouTube reviews which may help make up my mind.
Hopefully will get sorted in the next few weeks so will let you know. Cheers.
Old 17 May 2017, 11:14   #5

>>> I'm guessing service costs will be similar?

You may have missed the chat last year but service costs are a nightmare to pin down with dealers quoting wildly different prices for a "yearly".

In my case when buying the new Suzuki 20hp and asking about the initial 20hr service they said it's basically an oil change so about £45. Then when booking it in and asking how much it would be when I collected they said £50-£60.

The actual bill £79. Given this is a fixed operations/parts service of a new OB it's taking the pee which is one reason why I won't return to them.
Old 17 May 2017, 13:20   #6

Think I'm leaning towards the Suzuki due to valued opinion of how smooth the 3 cylinder df is. The Yamaha may well be smooth but it's a step into the unknown which is putting me off a bit.
Will try and get some service costs written down before I go ahead with the purchase and thanks David and Jeff for sharing your experiences.
Old 17 May 2017, 18:43   #7

RIBase
My yearly service cost was £350 with a print out of hours and all the info I get my truck done for half that
Old 17 May 2017, 18:45   #8

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
My yearly service cost was £350 with a print out of hours and all the info I get my truck done for half that

Sounds like legal stealing to me !!!
Old 17 May 2017, 19:00   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Sounds like legal stealing to me !!!
The word boat engine justifies the cost so I am told
Old 17 May 2017, 19:47   #10

Quote:
Ouch. I'm definitely going to get some written quotes before i pull the trigger.
Old 17 May 2017, 20:26   #11

Just seen a Yorkshire dealer advertising the Yam F25 annual/100hrs service as £255. Not cheap but a bit more palatable than £350!
Old 18 May 2017, 07:58   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
Just seen a Yorkshire dealer advertising the Yam F25 annual/100hrs service as £255. Not cheap but a bit more palatable than £350!
costs
full service 180.00
service kit 53.38
engine oil 19.78
gear oil 15.79
diagnostic check 20.00
total 288.95
vat 57.59
Old 19 May 2017, 05:38   #13

Quote:
costs
full service 180.00
service kit 53.38
engine oil 19.78
gear oil 15.79
diagnostic check 20.00
total 288.95
vat 57.59
Hi Jeff

A little confusion from me about service schedules for the df25 but i got this quote from a dealer local to me in Northumberland.

"Thank you for the phone call and enquiry.

I am pleased to advise the service cost for a 25hp
50hr annual service £88.00 inc vAT plus consumerables.oil filters etc"

I take it you are servicing yours annually? Is the 50hr classed as a full service? Thanks.
Old 19 May 2017, 07:02   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Hi Jeff

A little confusion from me about service schedules for the df25 but i got this quote from a dealer local to me in Northumberland.

"Thank you for the phone call and enquiry.

I am pleased to advise the service cost for a 25hp
50hr annual service £88.00 inc vAT plus consumerables.oil filters etc"

I take it you are servicing yours annually? Is the 50hr classed as a full service? Thanks.
hi mate
he has it wrong according to my manual first service from new is 20 hrs or 1 month with mine it was at 6 hours and glad i did the amount of crap in both oils was quite significant and can be expected as this service mechanic said to me, cost for that service i got done for about £65 quid from memory i did post i think.
next service and thereafter is yearly with the timing belt changed at 4 years

cheers
Old 19 May 2017, 07:20   #15

Thanks for clearing that up Jeff.

ive got further testing to do and am leaving options open about remotes or going back to tiller. Was out last night in the sea with remotes set up and wasn't blown away by steering / weight distribution.

I am set on a new four stroke just need to make the right choice about which one or it could be an expensive mistake!
Old 19 May 2017, 07:42   #16

>>> annual service £88.00 inc vAT plus consumerables.oil filters etc

Re the service costs this is where I hate the way dealers try and mislead re costs. With the fact Suzuki supply service kits it would be so easy for them to quote a price that includes parts, oils and everything.

They are trying to plant a core figure well under £100 in your mind but assuming they charge about the same for parts and diagnostic as Jeffs folks your bill payable will be £218-74.

Re the remotes... If you are solo in an Aerotec I find sitting as far forward as on the seat (I assume this where the remotes place you?) makes it bow steer and feel twitchy.
Old 19 May 2017, 08:10   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up Jeff.

ive got further testing to do and am leaving options open about remotes or going back to tiller. Was out last night in the sea with remotes set up and wasn't blown away by steering / weight distribution.

I am set on a new four stroke just need to make the right choice about which one or it could be an expensive mistake!
OMO i would ditch the steering limits scope and dealing with the conditions i sit on the floor in the rough on waterproof dog beds i will post on my new boat thread when i get my boat back.

either engine would be a good choice ive had both but i do like the suzuki's fuel consumption. bit heavier than the yam but would you notice a few kg it was certainly the 3 cylinder engine that swayed me plus i had two DF'S on my rib with no issues.
two yams on the boat before that with no issues
Old 19 May 2017, 13:05   #18

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Re Suzuki servicing costs we had our DF20 serviced at PA Lynch in Morpeth. Three annual services were £120, £145 and the third £170 all included parts, labour, computer printout etc and vat. The variation in prices reflected the number of service parts replaced at each service.
Not cheap perhaps but infinitely better than some of the costs reported by others on here.
Old 19 May 2017, 13:14   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Re Suzuki servicing costs we had our DF20 serviced at PA Lynch in Morpeth. Three annual services were £120, £145 and the third £170 all included parts, labour, computer printout etc and vat. The variation in prices reflected the number of service parts replaced at each service.
Not cheap perhaps but infinitely better than some of the costs reported by others on here.
Good prices them chipco,but my annual service parts & print out plus VAT £130.74 dont know the price difference between 20 & 25 but doesn't leave much for labour i would like fenlander to comment since he has done his own to the book and what hours did it take i would say labour is around £45/hour
Old 19 May 2017, 14:28   #20

Town: Calgary
Boat name: Mountaineer 360
Make: Salter
Engine: Mercury 20HP
The Yamaha F25 is amazing.. I would take that over the Suzuki in a heartbeat. I like the trolling adjustment and all the little extras they designed into the new F25