Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 06 October 2011, 16:02   #1

Town: plymouth
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 verado
Need someone to pressure test some inboard tanks. Any recommendations?

Right, I need an answer once and for all as to whether my inboard tanks are leaking. I cant smell petrol and none is coming out into the transom well yet i m paranoid I have water in the tank!!

Therefore I am looking for either a private individual or a company in the Plymouth/south devon area who can give me a definitive answer.

The boat will be coming out of the water in the next couple of weeks before going on its winter holiday! It would be great if I could get this all sorted so I dont have any problems nexy year.

Thanks
Old 06 October 2011, 16:46   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'd have thought any outboard engineer (e.g. the one winterising your engine) should be able to do this if you cross his palm with silver.

You could probably do it yourself too...
Old 06 October 2011, 20:07   #3

Town: clifden
Make: Fletcher Bravo Arrow
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 175
Water could b in the fuel ur buying ! Get a water separator funnel
Old 06 October 2011, 20:18   #4

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
PM sent

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2011, 09:56   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Easy enough to do, although if you suspect a leak, might be worth going down the vacuum road instead, to save throwing lots of fuel into your bilge.....

1) Seal exit hose (can do this with an old connector for your engine, add about 3-6" of hose, then fold over & lash / squeeze with mole grips. This will preventfalse readings form the bit that's meant to be open. If you ghave a separate vent, you'll need to do something similar for it, unless it;s one of these clever ones where the vent is integral to the cap.

2) buy a replacement filler cap. Drill a hole, and fit a car valve, epoxy it in.

3) fit cap & blanksing device(s), find a car foot pump & slowly increase pressure, you wonlt need much. (a couple of PSi wil lbe more than enough)

4) this is where you have 2 options. Either watch the gauge on the pump, if it falls you need to search for the leak. or you'll hear air hissing or fuel spraying. that will make finsding the leak obvious.

And before you all go on about volumes of tanks vs foot pumps, I have a twistlock bung adapted in the same way to find leaks in dinghy bouyancy tanks. You really don't need a lot of extra air to get a pressure finding leak. There is anargument for doing this with an empty tank for the petrol spill reasons above.

A possibly simpler way would be to top it up right to the cap (or another easily identifiable feature on your filler pipe), leave it a few days & see if it has dropped.

There is the other thought that my rib spends most of it's time with my favourite ribbing aftershave smell- "Eau d'essense" .... only after a 2 year engine rebuild with no fuel did the "aura" wear off.