Old 15 May 2009, 12:20   #1

Town: Chesterfield
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 80hp 2 stroke
Muffs or Bucket for flushing

Hi all,

New to the forum and SIB's and outboard engines, though have had a 'normal' bowrider for a few years now and this looks to be a great forum for advice.

My problem/query is this. I have just bought an Excel430HD and 25hp Tohatsu 4 stroke, both 2 years old and in what appear to be excellent condition.

Engine fires up easily with 2 or 3 pulls on the start rope and runs around quite nicely.

Thing is, when I come to flush out I have noticed a problem. I am used to just connecting flush muffs to the drive inlet and connecting the hose to the tap. However, when I have tried this I don't get any water coming out of the exhaust jet on the outboard. I only let the engine run for a few seconds before I killed it.

I then borrowed from a neighbour a huge bucket and just dunked the engine (without the muffs ) up to the aerofoils into the water. Pulled the start and it chucked out a water jet quite happily as expected, so was obviously flushing ok.

Emptied bucket, attached muffs again, turned on tap, pulled start engine, but hey, no water comes out of the outlet jet ???

Why would this be ? I can imagine the extra volume of water / pressure may have a bearing but i never have this problem on my 3 litre mercuiser outboard as i just connect the muffs, turn the key and the water comes out as expected.

Should I only use the bucket or can I get away with just the muffs ?
To use the bucket means waiting until I get home each weekend from the coast, whereas I have always flushed out within minutes of landing with my bowrider.

So will any/much harm be done by leaving it a few hours / day at the most before flushing ?

Thanks in advance.
Mark
Old 15 May 2009, 12:51   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/winterize.html

And here are the manuals for your engine

http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/manuals.html

On smaller engines you have to dunk it in a bucket but engines of your size should be ok on muffs.

They also have a proper flushing port to connect up to a hose but check to see if you use that statci or running.
Old 15 May 2009, 12:55   #3

Just looked - you need to seal off the water inlet under the cav plate with tape before you use the muffs - make sure you take it off afterwards!!!

P41 of manual.
Old 15 May 2009, 13:16   #4

Town: Chesterfield
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 80hp 2 stroke
Cheers for that.

I take it then that water should be 'spurting' out of the nozzle on the cowling to confirm it is flushing through ?

Was it likely that any damage had been caused to the impellor by running the engine initially just on the muffs but without that tape ?

It wasn't very long, 10-15 seconds tops I would imagine.

Thanks
Old 15 May 2009, 15:33   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Of Loxley View Post
New to the forum and SIB's and outboard engines, though have had a 'normal' bowrider for a few years now and this looks to be a great forum for advice.
Are you saying we're abnormal?

Quote:
Thing is, when I come to flush out I have noticed a problem. I am used to just connecting flush muffs to the drive inlet and connecting the hose to the tap. However, when I have tried this I don't get any water coming out of the exhaust jet on the outboard. I only let the engine run for a few seconds before I killed it.
It may take several seconds for pressure to build up and circulate water through the head. A late model engine with protect itself to a degree (and it's not going to heat up too fast at idle anyway), so let it run for 30 seconds or so and see what happens.

Check the leg and look for any other water intakes (other than the ones covered by the muff ears.) You may need to tape them up (Honda 4's have two intakes on the sides, and one on the bottom of the cav plate.) [sorry, Cod; didn't read the other messages before replying]

Quote:
So will any/much harm be done by leaving it a few hours / day at the most before flushing ?
Probably not. Quite a few engines that are kept in salt water rarely if ever get a fresh water flushing.

I flush mine at the end of the weekend (Run Saturday, leave it alone overnight, run Sunday, drive home and flush motor there.) Works for me.

Damage to the impeller comes from running it dry, which you didn't do. Insufficient water will cause an overheat, but not at the duration you ran it at (and the motor will most likely complain loudly about it.)

Luck;

jky
Old 15 May 2009, 16:20   #6

Town: Suffolk
Boat name: Parker380
Make: Parker
Engine: 30HP 4st EFI
I used to use flush muffs, but found that unless you open the tap fully, or have high water pressure, the tell tale didn't always show. Worrying albeit ok from earlier answers. Worrying none the less.
I have since got a plastic 45gallons barrell (lots kicking about) and cut it down so that the engine can drop into it - plastic rubbish bin does the same job, although tapers in towards the bottom where you want the room.
I fill this to about 3~4" above the wash plate/anti cavation plate, and check the engine out before I go out. Then on my return run the engine in the same water.
Flush muffs make a mess as more water comes out, than goes in sometimes!
You can let the engine run for several minutes in the barrel as long as you check water temp (so it cools) as exhaust will go into water, and check levels as tell tale discharge will gradually reduce water levels.
This suits me personnally and does make so much of a mess.
Old 15 May 2009, 23:10   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
some outboards need the water intake hole blanking off with gaffa tape if using a hose attachment .muffs dont need it as they clamp around it .i usually give my engines a good run twice a year or before winter lay up using the wheelie bin that way i can get the engine warmed up properly.i also find the its best if setting up carbs throttles ect as you get a bit of back pressure like you would with the boat in water ,the amount of our club members that set up engines on the hose in the yard then as soon as the boats in the water the engine plays up .
Old 15 May 2009, 23:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
some outboards need the water intake hole blanking off with gaffa tape if using a hose attachment .muffs dont need it as they clamp around it .i usually give my engines a good run twice a year or before winter lay up using the wheelie bin that way i can get the engine warmed up properly.i also find the its best if setting up carbs throttles ect as you get a bit of back pressure like you would with the boat in water ,the amount of our club members that set up engines on the hose in the yard then as soon as the boats in the water the engine plays up .
Muffs do need it on quite a few engines as some have 3 intakes!!!