Old 20 September 2010, 20:40   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
morse MY2 racing controls

I have a single MY2 racing control, was going to be used for a bow tank, it is a 3 position latch one, Can I not use it to replace my horid mercury one?? That has 2 cables coming into it, i presume one gear, one throttle, Are they both same type of cables, and have same throw?? Id love to have a single Morse on the dash

Thanks

GT
Old 21 September 2010, 07:24   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
I have a single MY2 racing control, was going to be used for a bow tank, it is a 3 position latch one, Can I not use it to replace my horid mercury one?? That has 2 cables coming into it, i presume one gear, one throttle, Are they both same type of cables, and have same throw?? Id love to have a single Morse on the dash

Thanks

GT
In a word no - it will only operate gears OR throttle - the only way round it would be to get another one or keep the horrid Merc one and use the Morse for throttling - stick with what you've got!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 08:24   #3

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
One lever, one job, but they are stackable, so you can just add another lever to the set.

Black or Stainless? as I have a single stainless with bushings and plate that you can have. You'll just need some longer screws.
Old 21 September 2010, 10:53   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
2 levers for close quarters manoevering = yuk! Having said that, the geometry & ergonomics on your console may make them work better than anything i've driven with two levers.

Having said that, the innards of all the "side mount" boxes are the same mechanism, and if not, they take the same cables. My merc is driven from a Yam 703 with teleflex cables. I've borrowed a Tohatsu one for the Yam while I rebuilt the 703...... etc etc.

What l'm saying is if its the visuals you don't like, the change could be realtively easy. The most dificult bit is what you do with the electrics. (mine are now in the console with a simple extension to the Anti Start in Gear switch. )
Old 21 September 2010, 20:11   #5

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
2 levers for close quarters manoevering = yuk! Having said that, the geometry & ergonomics on your console may make them work better than anything i've driven with two levers.

Having said that, the innards of all the "side mount" boxes are the same mechanism, and if not, they take the same cables. My merc is driven from a Yam 703 with teleflex cables. I've borrowed a Tohatsu one for the Yam while I rebuilt the 703...... etc etc.

What l'm saying is if its the visuals you don't like, the change could be realtively easy. The most dificult bit is what you do with the electrics. (mine are now in the console with a simple extension to the Anti Start in Gear switch. )
Its the looks I want rid of. Cleaning up the dash, holes repaired and intend to get carbon fibre coating. Also been toying with idea of bow tank, but don't want odd controls and can't fit them all on console. Ive collected several sets of morse controls, but as a trailer sailor I know I won't handle twin levers while driving on the trailer. The other option for a bow tank control, would be a linear actuator, but finding a price for them is difficult as all commercial/industrial!