DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Mercury Throttle problems...

Hi - does anyone have any experience of stripping down a Mercury console mounted throttle? It's suffering from the vast amounts of sand that have been blowing around the compound this winter , so I'd like to get it all out and cleaned up. The neutral button is very 'sticky' - but not sure how this is fixed onto the handle. I've been told that you can prise it off with a couple of screwdrivers to reveal the fixing bolt of the handle, but not too sure about levering it off!!

Any advice gratefully received...

Old 15 May 2012, 08:27   #2

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
go and ask nicely at a merc/mar dealer , me may print an exploded picture for you , and talk you through the procedure.
Old 15 May 2012, 11:28   #3

Town: Plymouth / Portsmouth
Length: 5m +
Really easy process if you can wait until Im home this weekend I have one stripped down I can post pictures of to help you take it apart. If your confident enough to tackle it. Honestly is a very easy job so will save you dealer prices for labour if you do it yourself and you will learn how it is assembled etc.

Worth getting in there once in a while to make sure it is all in good order anyway so not a bad thing.

Tris.
Old 15 May 2012, 12:35   #4
DGR

Tris,

That sounds brilliant - very happy to wait for pictures, I've got lots of other stuff to be getting on with!!

Thanks!!

D...
Old 16 May 2012, 21:16   #5

No problems at all I will get some pictures sure it will help a few people out. Need to change my throttle over anyway so worth taking some snaps while Im at it.
Old 17 May 2012, 20:08   #6

These will get you started. Replaced my throttle today with a new one so took a couple of pictures of the old one. I will get a photo of the lever off showing the neutral slider tomorrow for you.

Gently prize with a small screwdriver

As you can see its quite common for sand to collect inside and a small spider in this case.

I was changing the control lines over so had to open the entire case but I thought I'd show it here. To remove the handle fully you will need to disconnect the wires for the tilt control (if fitted) so the photos do show where the wires run. Make sure they are put back correctly as they can chafe otherwise and cause a short resulting in a blown engine fuse.

You will just have to loosen the throttle handle enough to give it a good clean / lubricating inside so dont be alarmed by the opened casing. As long as you unbolt the throttle unit and gently remove the cover then undo the bolt on the inside it will become loose enough to enable a good clean up. Some WD40 will do the trick if you can get some brake cleaner or a similiar cleaner to blast all the debris out ideal. If you can gently lubricate it on reassembly.

More pictures to follow tomorrow.
Old 19 May 2012, 06:02   #7

Sorry for the delay here is the one you want:

Old 21 May 2012, 12:30   #8
DGR

Hi Tris,

Cheers for the pics - mine is different to that - but still useful!! It looks like your throttle handle is attached by a bolt from the inside of the casing - but there is no way of getting into that part on my assembly. Mine is a top mounted console unit, rather than a side mounted one.

Thanks for the pictures though - the yacht club have a rescue boat with that exact same unit - so now I know how to sort that out next time it misbehaves!!

Cheers,

D...