Old 11 August 2020, 11:50   #1

Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
Mercury Opti 225 Tilt/Trim Removal

Planning a winter maintenance job on my 225 opti, need to repaint the ram motor casing and could probably do with cleaning & painting a few areas of the tilt/trim assembly while I'm at it, so thinking it might be better to remove the whole tilt/trim unit as one piece and bring it home to work on.

I've got the Mercury manual describing the removal, seems reasonably straightforward but has anyone done similar and any pointers?

I would imagine most large outboards the trim/tilt system removal is broadly similar
Old 11 August 2020, 12:46   #2

Boat name: Joy Ride
Make: Ribtec655CamelTrophy
Engine: 200 optimax
Replaced my unit a few years ago.
Very simple job as it’s a self contained unit and wiring is on push fit connectors. You may need a new centre locating pin for the main tilt ram (which attaches to engine) as it may get damaged when removing it.... vice grip to remove and hammer to put back job...
I also tied the engine leg up as I don’t fully trust the tilt lock brackets when working under such a heavy engine.
Old 11 August 2020, 13:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
Replaced my unit a few years ago.
Very simple job as it’s a self contained unit and wiring is on push fit connectors. You may need a new centre locating pin for the main tilt ram (which attaches to engine) as it may get damaged when removing it.... vice grip to remove and hammer to put back job...
I also tied the engine leg up as I don’t fully trust the tilt lock brackets when working under such a heavy engine.
Thanks. Manual notes new pin is required when replacing/removing and I'll look to see how I might prop the engine with timber so as not to rely on the tilt lock. Might also be a way to support it off the A-Frame using some webbing straps - but need to look at the angles to ensure not stressing anything or creating any unusual loads!
Old 12 August 2020, 17:59   #4

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Be careful trying if to remove the motor. The 4 mounting bolts are loctited in at the factory,,, and so easy to shear off combined with corrosion ,,, alloy casting, stainless bolts, salt water & thread lock ,,, a winning combination ,,,, guess how I know!! Slowly, slowly and some localised heat may help. If you don't need to remove the motor don't is my suggestion [emoji28]

Definitely need a new trilobe pin ,,, and i thought to remove the entitire trim and motor assembly you had to undo the starboard side bracket ? I could be wrong entirely of course !
Old 12 August 2020, 18:27   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Be careful trying if to remove the motor. The 4 mounting bolts are loctited in at the factory,,, and so easy to shear off combined with corrosion ,,, alloy casting, stainless bolts, salt water & thread lock ,,, a winning combination ,,,, guess how I know!! Slowly, slowly and some localised heat may help. If you don't need to remove the motor don't is my suggestion [emoji28]

Definitely need a new trilobe pin ,,, and i thought to remove the entitire trim and motor assembly you had to undo the starboard side bracket ? I could be wrong entirely of course !

Sounds like a couple of kettles of boiling water might help.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 20:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

Yes you’re correct [emoji1303]

I just put a wedge of timber under the saddle to hold the weight, removed the upper and lower engine bolts, loosened the hydraulic steering slightly and manoeuvred the PTT out.
Old 13 August 2020, 07:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
Yes you’re correct [emoji1303]

I just put a wedge of timber under the saddle to hold the weight, removed the upper and lower engine bolts, loosened the hydraulic steering slightly and manoeuvred the PTT out.
Thanks. Yes the manual states removal of the starboard side mounting bolts and using a new trilobe pin.

Not quite sure the implications of removing the starboard bolts, does this just mean there is wiggle room for the starboard saddle to ease out the unit? Does the saddle stay in place because it still has the weight of the motor on it, or just it simply slide out of the way - i thought all would become obvious as i start to unbolt things. It’s the sequence stated in the manual so must be a safe approach as there’s no reference to any additional propping or support for the motor.
Old 13 August 2020, 21:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohnson View Post
Thanks. Yes the manual states removal of the starboard side mounting bolts and using a new trilobe pin.

Not quite sure the implications of removing the starboard bolts, does this just mean there is wiggle room for the starboard saddle to ease out the unit? Does the saddle stay in place because it still has the weight of the motor on it, or just it simply slide out of the way - i thought all would become obvious as i start to unbolt things. It’s the sequence stated in the manual so must be a safe approach as there’s no reference to any additional propping or support for the motor.

With the bolts removed It should just slide enough to the right a swing up so you can get the unit out [emoji1303]