Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 03 June 2019, 11:24   #21

Town: Starcross
Make: Lomac & Suzumar
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 90 & Tohatsu
Thanks, Fenlander. Will do!

If I can’t get out today, it’ll definitely be one day this week. Well worth the wait and quest, I hope.

Yes, I did see that one and another last month on eBay, which went for just over £1600!

I paid £800 for mine. It was bought by the previous owner in Jersey, in 2015. Only a few hours on his tender he said - which it’s condition also suggests. It came complete with receipts, owners manual, unused tool kit and a few extras as well as tank and fuel line.

The real bonus for me is that, I don’t now have to sell my much loved 9.8 2T to fund a brand new engine.

I’m happy enough man-handling it the distance I need to at the moment and have the big Zodiac launch wheels on the Aerotec for easy launching at the club slip.

I reckon it’s going to be an altogether different beast to the Suzumar 310 vib/9.8 2T combo, I’ve upgraded from.

I will keep you posted.
Old 04 June 2019, 17:52   #22

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanExe View Post
I hope your experiences with your new engine are proving fun and dry, Steve!

Having “almost” given up finding an 18hp 2T, as already mentioned - I have just purchased this little minter...

I’m taking it for a first on-water spin with the Aerotec today. I imagine I’ll be needing to fashion a suitable riser/shim in the not-too-distant. [emoji848][emoji106]

Attachment 129628

With work and the poor weather we have had I've not been out with it since my last post but hoping to get out this weekend.
The 18 looks great and is a steal at £800 in that condition. Enjoy!
Old 03 October 2020, 16:49   #23

Town: Bolton
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury 20efi
Mercury 20hp efi ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanExe View Post
After a long search, I’ve given up on finding a Tohatsu 18hp 2T standard shaft on tiller locally and/or in good condition. So, I’m thinking of pairing a new Merc 20hp EFI with my Aerotec 3.8. This will be replacing my current Tohatsu 9.8 2T - which is great for when on my own, but not when crewed up.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience of this engine, on an Aerotec or other similar sized sib? I’d be grateful for any feedback, good or bad, before making a decision.

I’ll be lifting it from an engine store to the boat (approximately 15 feet) and using the Zodiac big beach wheels or a club trolley, to launch from a slip a few metres away.

I’ve lifted the engine (dry 45 kg) at my local dealers and seems doable for me. Does anyone launch in a similar way and not need to visit a chiropractor on a regular basis?

Am I likely to suffer from the “transom splash” that I do with the Tohatsu, under certain conditions?

Thanks in advance.

Dan
I also have got the Aerotec 380 and suffered transom splash with the Tohatsu 20 hp C. Got round it by running it on the 4th hole on the trim. Now I am going for the lighter Merc 20 efi. Have you got your new engine yet, can you let me know how it is
Thanks Nick
Old 03 October 2020, 17:35   #24

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
We ran a Suzuki DF20a on our Aerotec 380 with no excessive splash whatsoever. Fenlander also ran the same combo and will hopefully concur.

We currently run a Mariner 20 efi, not on an Aerotec, but reckon the Suzi still has the edge. It’s large squared AV plate is far superior for quelling splash and ventilation issues on sibs in general and in particular on the Aerotec.

The current Merc/Mariner efi’s look the biz with their edgy hood design and the fancy tillers are a joy to use but, are substantially heavier despite quoted weights. They also require a far harder pull to fire up the battery less efi, making effortless starting a random affair.

If we still had the Aerotec, then the Suzi would be my go to motor. Even seven years later the opposition still haven’t quite caught up.
Old 03 October 2020, 17:56   #25

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep the DF20A just had the usual small shim on the transom and was largely splash free.

It's odd how random it is as we later ran a new Mariner 9.9 which produced a dreadful waterfall and needed a proper high transom mod.
Old 04 October 2020, 20:31   #26

Town: Bolton
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury 20efi
Looks like the Aerotec is a bit fussy with engines. I’m still swaying towards the Mercury 20efi. Looking at the stats there isn’t a great deal between the Suzuki and the Merc.
There again the Tohatsu efi is the lightest option but not keen on the fireman’s helmet cover