Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 02 December 2012, 10:31   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Mercury 9.8 non start "kick back"

Hi, I have what I think is a Mercury 9.8 (see 7.5 or 9.8 thread), I have had it running very briefly just a few seconds enough to pump water etc.

But now when trying to start it, it fires now and again but it will not run and it kicks back quite alot.

My question is; is there any one thing that would cause this problem or could it be a multitude of problems.

Any solutions/advice will be greatly accepted.

Sorry should add its a 1985/6 Thunderbolt ignition.
Old 02 December 2012, 11:13   #2

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Engine: all types
Turn the mixture screw anticlockwise a quarter of a turn.
Old 02 December 2012, 15:23   #3
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
Turn the mixture screw anticlockwise a quarter of a turn.
Thanks alot for that , got it started eventually mixture screw ended up 3 full turns out from seated before it started, turned tiller back to "shift" the engine picked up revs very quickly but then I noticed that it was not pumping water so had to shut it down, shame really as I wanted to keep it going for a while as it as not been run for at least 2 years apart from the brief 10 seconds mentioned earlier.

I have since tried to re-start it but to no avail it will fire as before and still "kicks back every second pull (or so it seems).

But thinking positive I am sure (thanks to your help) that it is a "set up issue" and nothing more serious, I am going to start a new thread on carb butterflies as I am not sure if this one is on the right way .
Old 02 December 2012, 16:13   #4

Can you see the 3screws that go through the red plastic mounts that hold the coils on? Take them out and on the back of the coils you will find an earth wire that earths the coils. They will be getting a bad earth. Also make sure the recoil housing to the block is clean as it earths through that also.

Have a look at the coils when you have them off as they will probably be cracked.
Old 02 December 2012, 17:20   #5
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Can you see the 3screws that go through the red plastic mounts that hold the coils on? Take them out and on the back of the coils you will find an earth wire that earths the coils. They will be getting a bad earth. Also make sure the recoil housing to the block is clean as it earths through that also.

Have a look at the coils when you have them off as they will probably be cracked.
Hell you could have put your finger on another problem Davie, the coils are zip stapped on, and when I had them off to clean them I did not see any earth strap.

What does this earth strap fix to on the coil

Thanks again for your input
Old 02 December 2012, 17:32   #6

It's just a bare wire that gets stuck between the coil and the recoil house when you tighten up them 3 screws.
No there, no workie correctly.
Old 02 December 2012, 17:36   #7
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
It's just a bare wire that gets stuck between the coil and the recoil house when you tighten up them 3 screws.
Cheers Davie, I will brave the cold and go and have a fettle , will let you know how I get on
Old 02 December 2012, 17:48   #8

Town: bicester
Engine: outboard only
First I would make sure it is the correct spark plug fitted and that it is clean with the correct gap, next try fresh fuel, if that didnt work, remove and strip the carbureture and jets and examine have a look through the jets for dirt, fouling etc, then clean al internal parts re-assemble as per the factory spec, if you havent got a spec then check the float and needle valve move freely and when hand priming fuel does not leak out. set idle mixture screw to one and a half turns out from lightly seated, Dont screw idle screw in tight scew in gently and you will feel it bottom onto its seat.
have you tried the fuel line staight onto the carb fuel inlet connection with alittle preasure on the primer bulb?
Old 02 December 2012, 18:07   #9
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
First I would make sure it is the correct spark plug fitted and that it is clean with the correct gap, next try fresh fuel, if that didnt work, remove and strip the carbureture and jets and examine have a look through the jets for dirt, fouling etc, then clean al internal parts re-assemble as per the factory spec, if you havent got a spec then check the float and needle valve move freely and when hand priming fuel does not leak out. set idle mixture screw to one and a half turns out from lightly seated, Dont screw idle screw in tight scew in gently and you will feel it bottom onto its seat.
have you tried the fuel line staight onto the carb fuel inlet connection with alittle preasure on the primer bulb?
Hi Uncle al, Good point on spark plug to be honest I am not sure the ones that are in are NGK BUHW?
Carb stripped and cleaned all jets clear, but not sure on the throttle butterfly which way it should go, I have started a new thread on that one .
I am trying to source a carb float and needle just as a precaution.

Thanks
Old 02 December 2012, 18:12   #10

Town: bicester
Engine: outboard only
I am sorry I cannot remember of the top of my head retired two years ago
Old 02 December 2012, 18:16   #11
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Hi Davie, I have the coils infront of me I have slid the plastic sleave off and took off the rubber boots, on 1 of the coils there is indeed a bare wire that attatches to the metal inserts, but on the other there is just a stub where the wire should attatch so will try and sort in the morning or source a new coil.

Thanks again
Old 02 December 2012, 18:21   #12
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
I am sorry I cannot remember of the top of my head retired two years ago
Its ok, apreciate your input