Old 26 March 2012, 11:51   #1

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
merc 25 tiller slipage...

Out on sat (which was great) and i picked up a problem on the engine....

Turned the thottle and it seemed to slip..not engaging gear, so i came home with engine basically stuck in fwd gear (luckily the in gear start protection has worn out- but i know about this and only + and one other ever use the boat). I pulled it apart yesterday and seems the tiller shaft that rotates is a push fit of the knurled end of the tiller shaft into a bit of plastic which turns the cables etc. The shaft was just turning in the plastic which i felt was a crappy bit of design.

Anyone else had this on a tiller gear and throttle 25? I suspect oil had crept in to loosen in ( i spray it all over the place for obvious reasons)

motor also kept stalling between idle and revving up....any ideas?

got some pics i'll post sometime if matt is ok with it?

Pete
Old 26 March 2012, 16:29   #2

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
try richening the mixture a quarter of a turn out, BUT carbs dont just go out of tune there is allways a reason dirt, fuel line or primer bulb crappy fuel . Sorry cant coment on the crappy throttle shaft slipping as i never had that problem
Old 26 March 2012, 16:58   #3

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115
Peter, had exactly the same thing with a mariner 25 (2003) a right PITA, I actually got stuck in forward, no way to start engine let alone get reverse, if i recall strip of rubber, disconect stop button remove plastic from knurled and araldite back together, no further problems.
Old 26 March 2012, 17:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_j View Post
Peter, had exactly the same thing with a mariner 25 (2003) a right PITA, I actually got stuck in forward, no way to start engine let alone get reverse, if i recall strip of rubber, disconect stop button remove plastic from knurled and araldite back together, no further problems.
That is exaclty what I did ! Good to know its not just me. If the in gear start had not been buggered I would have been . Its a long paddle I could have faced - of course Matt was there to tow me to avoid that ...but I would defo have a parking ticket !
Old 27 March 2012, 14:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
try richening the mixture a quarter of a turn out, BUT carbs dont just go out of tune there is allways a reason dirt, fuel line or primer bulb crappy fuel . Sorry cant coment on the crappy throttle shaft slipping as i never had that problem
Thanks I'll try that at the weekend - next question - which one is the mixture screw ?