Old 30 May 2006, 08:33   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Mariner to Humber

hi there guys, hey, any advice on this one, have ordered a HUMBER 5.3 OCEAN PRO, beam 2 m,from Humber and want to stick a Mariner 90 f/s non efi on its tail, they recommend a 90 tops or a 75 f/s . they weigh the same, 176 kgs, so will it be overweight or too powerful for the hull,????
i had a Ribcraft 4.8 with a Suzuki 70 f/s before this one it weighed 162 kgs approx and that one had a much lesser of a V Hull. and it went superbly and that one was rated up to a 60 !!
initially i wont be adding anymore weight on the Transom, the fuel tanks are up the front, one being under the Consol and the other 25 litre under the forward Jockey,
if its too heavy i will put a Evenrude 90 e Tec on the Rear at 140 kgs!! is this a good or bad engine??? i hear mixed reactions!!
HELP!!!! HA HA
Old 30 May 2006, 11:36   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h
hi there guys, hey, any advice on this one, have ordered a HUMBER 5.3 OCEAN PRO, beam 2 m,from Humber and want to stick a Mariner 90 f/s non efi on its tail, they recommend a 90 tops or a 75 f/s . they weigh the same, 176 kgs, so will it be overweight or too powerful for the hull,????
i had a Ribcraft 4.8 with a Suzuki 70 f/s before this one it weighed 162 kgs approx and that one had a much lesser of a V Hull. and it went superbly and that one was rated up to a 60 !!
initially i wont be adding anymore weight on the Transom, the fuel tanks are up the front, one being under the Consol and the other 25 litre under the forward Jockey,
if its too heavy i will put a Evenrude 90 e Tec on the Rear at 140 kgs!! is this a good or bad engine??? i hear mixed reactions!!
HELP!!!! HA HA
I don't know a lot about it but my 5.8 Humber with a 115 on it doesn't feel unstable or over powered in fact quite the opposite it feels like it could cope with a lot more as it feels completely comfortable and secure at wide open throttle unlike something else I have been in which was very twitchy and nervous. Think the max recommended HP is 150 on mine. Advice often written on here seems to be to get the biggest you can fit/afford and people rarely change engines for a smaller one - More Power Egor

Just my thoughts but I would wait for somebody else who knows what they are talking about to come along
Old 30 May 2006, 12:50   #3

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Have you asked Humber on your thoughts for the engine (including why a 90 2/s and a 75 4/s)? - they have plenty of years experience with different size engines being mounted to their ribs, and would definately know what the max is.
Also, make sure you don't overload it, cos it will potentially affect your warranty!!

-Alex
Old 30 May 2006, 14:31   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
like you say they weigh the same-I have a 90 non efi 4 stroke merc on a 5.5m ocean pro - no probs. I have driven a 5m (may have been a 5.3m) attaque at ribex with a 150 opti on it, also a 5.5m ocean pro with the same. Awesome but a bit of a whiff from somewhere- I was probably sitting in it
as they weigh the same you can judge the power requirements to suit the day, it doesnt have to be run a full throttle, (apparently )
Old 30 May 2006, 17:32   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
mariner

thanks for that, basically i want the boat to be able to ski a couple at the same time or just be powerful for fun fun fun!!
i had a good deal on this engine which was nearly £1200 cheaper than the E tec, and i took that option,going through all the specs on the engines etc, seems to be a good choice, i spoke to the factory (am waiting a call back) and they seemed to say with out being direct that it was too heavy!! but if you want to go the four stroke route,, what options are there!! Suzuki 75 at 162 kgs (not enough power for skiing etc)...Mercury 90 and 75 Opti at 166, Yamaha 80 and 100 hp at 170kgs (with a larger Premium), unless you take the Two Stroke route or the DI Range, Etec at 138kgs which is light, I basically have a Brand new lump sat in the Garage with a few week to run, to decide whether to fit or not!!
is there anyone with the same set up, Ocean Pro 5.3 mtr with a 2 mtr Beam and Mariner 90 f/s ?????if so , would love to go for a ride (will pay for all fuel)