Old 28 May 2012, 10:37   #1

Town: Donegal
Boat name: Grey Seal
Make: Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: 254HP
Mariner overheating near Donegal

Hi
Took my 4 year old Mariner F25ELPT EFI for its annual service Motor Marine Burtonport.
After 100m on first run (Full Throttle) it cut power and alarm came on. (Book says Overheating or Oil Pressure).

Took it back to Motor Marine who confirmed from computer, overheating. They cleaned water intake channel and said lot of stuff in there.
I put back on water and it dies again after 300m this time.

When I turn off ignition, I can immediately start up again and 'putter' along at 6 knots to stop overheating but it still happens sometimes even at that. Thought I was a rescue job on Sunday but she made it.

Now Motor Marine have lost interest in me despite me giving them loads of cash over past 10 years. I'm the perfect customer as I have no interest in fiddling with engines and am willing to pay someone who does.

Can anyone recommend someone within 100 miles of Donegal Town, North or South who would actually be interested in fixing it and getting paid for it.

Thanks
Gary
Old 28 May 2012, 10:56   #2

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelmart
Hi
Took my 4 year old Mariner F25ELPT EFI for its annual service Motor Marine Burtonport.
After 100m on first run (Full Throttle) it cut power and alarm came on. (Book says Overheating or Oil Pressure).

Took it back to Motor Marine who confirmed from computer, overheating. They cleaned water intake channel and said lot of stuff in there.
I put back on water and it dies again after 300m this time.

When I turn off ignition, I can immediately start up again and 'putter' along at 6 knots to stop overheating but it still happens sometimes even at that. Thought I was a rescue job on Sunday but she made it.

Now Motor Marine have lost interest in me despite me giving them loads of cash over past 10 years. I'm the perfect customer as I have no interest in fiddling with engines and am willing to pay someone who does.

Can anyone recommend someone within 100 miles of Donegal Town, North or South who would actually be interested in fixing it and getting paid for it.

Thanks
Gary
Give inland inflatables a call based in Sligo ask for Ronan keyes don't have the number to hand but they have a website.
Old 28 May 2012, 11:22   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Motor Marine - the stories I could tell you...

TBH, I don't know a decent marine mechanic in the county. There are a few who will do a reasonable standard service, but show them a faulty engine and the skills just aren't there.

If it's just overheating it should be something quite simple, a blockage, dodgy impeller or stat. It wouldn't be uncommon for an engine to go to MM for a service and leave with a bigger problem

Ronan Keyes can't be any worse.
Old 28 May 2012, 12:07   #4

Yea there seems to be a lot of the 'hammer and screwdriver' lads about.

G
Old 28 May 2012, 13:51   #5

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
"Mariner overheating near Donegal" - I read that at first as Willk was grafting ;-)
Old 28 May 2012, 17:09   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
"Mariner overheating near Donegal" - I read that at first as Willk was grafting ;-)
Fecker! It's 26C today. I was tempted to go down that road, but he's too close to be messin' with...
Old 28 May 2012, 17:42   #7

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Is it not still under its manufacturer warranty ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 29 May 2012, 09:01   #8

Ye know it is but never got a penny's worth of warranty repairs out of em after 2 engines and 10 years so never even crossed my mind.