Old 19 July 2009, 10:12   #1

Town: Queensferry
Make: Northcraft/Osprey
Length: 5m +
Mariner charging test.

Hi,

I need to carry out a full test of the charging system on my Mariner 90hp 3-cylinder 2-stroke (1995). (Battery discharged, but could be a duff battery)
The regulator/rectifier has a tachometer output which I was intending to use.

Does anyone know if a Gunsons autoranger meter would do for this? I've used it in car and motorcycle applications with coil ignition, but am unsure if it will read from reg/rect unit.

The alternative is a cheap ebay tachometer, unless I can find a marine one to fit permanently in the console.

Douglas
Old 19 July 2009, 10:40   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas C View Post
Hi,

I need to carry out a full test of the charging system on my Mariner 90hp 3-cylinder 2-stroke (1995). (Battery discharged, but could be a duff battery)
The regulator/rectifier has a tachometer output which I was intending to use.

Does anyone know if a Gunsons autoranger meter would do for this? I've used it in car and motorcycle applications with coil ignition, but am unsure if it will read from reg/rect unit.

The alternative is a cheap ebay tachometer, unless I can find a marine one to fit permanently in the console.

Douglas
You don't need any of that.

Stick a battery on it, and put a multimeter on it, set to 20v.
You should see slightly higher voltage at tickover than with the engine off, and approx 14..2-14.4v (which will drop slightly after peaking) when you rev it to around 1800rpm (if you're doing it on muffs don't rev it for long). It won't increase above 14.4v unless there's a problem as you have a voltage regulator on that engine.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 13:12   #3

Thanks for the info.
There was a voltmeter function on the previous GPS I had fitted,(Globalmap 2400) but haven't found the same in the current unit (Eagle 642c).

The battery started the boat fine in after the winter, and on a weekend trip in June.
Next outing in had to get a jump start, and running the engine all day didn't charge it.

Battery is now three years old, so that's the likely culprit!

Any recommendations for a replacement? (Mariner manual says 465 MCA, or 350 CCA)

I've been considering the Numax CXV24MF as a replacement for an older style Numax. Does anyone have adverse comments about these batteries?

Douglas
Old 19 July 2009, 13:30   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
He means a proper multimeter - cheap enough from Maplins. They are invaluable for troubleshooting - always carry one with me in the car or on the boat!!!

if the battery is knackered just go to your local motor factors and get a normal car battery - usually much cheaper that way and ALL batteries seem to last 3-5 years - no matter how much you pay for them............
Old 19 July 2009, 13:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
He means a proper multimeter - cheap enough from Maplins. They are invaluable for troubleshooting - always carry one with me in the car or on the boat!!!
Yes, got one of the maplins ones, and an old Avometer as well.
The GPS display was quite useful for occasional checks.
Old 19 July 2009, 13:35   #6

Why do you want a leisure battery? For what most people do with their RIBs a normal car battery/starting battery is whats needed.

Those numax look a pretty good price for what they are but see if they do a starter battery instead.
Old 19 July 2009, 13:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

Why do you want a leisure battery? For what most people do with their RIBs a normal car battery/starting battery is whats needed.

Those numax look a pretty good price for what they are but see if they do a starter battery instead.
Many years ago I was advised that the type of plate technology in the leisure batteries meant that they were less likely to suffer damage from the pounding that boats can give them.
Old 19 July 2009, 19:52   #8

With the state of our roads car batteries get a harder life!!!

Seriously though look at the bashing Land Rovers get - especially in places like Africa.

Leisure type batteries are only used when constant lighter loads leading to total discharge is needed - they really don't like the sudden heavy short loads engine starting imposes.

The marine versions of the leisure batteries you have listed look promising though - maybe a good compromise and with the price of batteries these days they actually look good value.
Old 25 July 2009, 13:14   #9

Update:

Battery is ok, after a charge. Fine on a load test, and all cells reading charged and equal with a hydrometer.

Voltage doesn't alter at all with engine revs.

Did the tests on the voltage regulator, and that appears faulty. (Probably didn't help that one of the mounting bolts was missing, and the regulator was rattling about)

Is there a source for replacement regulators in the uk, or is it a trip to the Mariner dealer for a megabucks one? Google gives me US options at sensible prices, but nothing in the UK.
(Ref is 815279-3)

Douglas
Old 25 July 2009, 18:24   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
I have just had an alternator fail ,last time I replaced it I paid over £200 for an alleged Volvo spec one from a marine engine parts man . This time I was told about a company called Superstart nr Chichester . http://www.superstart.co.uk/ I took the old one in and the mangaer instantly recognised it and went to the stores to get a new one , bracing myself for the inevitable ' thats £300 plus vat ' moment I was astonished when he asked for a mere £67.00 ! It may be worth posting to them as they seem to be able to repair or match most things alternator and starter . I am taking my son's Mercury Optimax 150 alternator in on monday for the same problem . Watch this space .
Old 27 July 2009, 17:54   #11

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
My year 2000 regulator/rectifier burnt out not too long ago. None at my usual supplier (RIBs Marine) nor in Belgium, the main European distribution centre. Cookee (on here) came up with American Marine. Hank is the man on 01789 491673.

Apparently lots of these parts are failing and I think they have been re designed. Hank rang the factory in the US and got a spare on a container that day. It was with me six days later. It came with a new wiring loom too. Total cost £358. Though it looked complicated, the loom was easy to fit, as was the rectifier/regulator.

Hank was very helpful indeed and I learned a lot from him. His service was second to none. Give him a call.
Old 15 August 2009, 16:05   #12

Engine charging again.
Replaced the regulator/rectifier with one from Trickett Marine.
Hopefully that one will last for a few years.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions. :-)

Douglas
Old 17 August 2009, 21:00   #13

Spoke too soon.
The boat was out on the Clyde yesterday, in the Largs/Cumbrae area, and I've been advised that the reg/rect fried towards the end of the day.
Oh well...............

Douglas
Old 17 August 2009, 21:21   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Prob need a new isolator switch as well then, along with checking there's no resistance or intermittent contact in any of the battery/earth cables.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote