Click Here to Login

Old 15 July 2018, 10:50   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Mariner 9.9 - New 10hp outboard choice.

OK so a modest 9.9hp may not be the most exciting OB to report on but the info may help someone in this market...

As mentioned elsewhere I needed to trim some weight and bulk from our Suzuki 20hp with an OB downsize to the 10hp range. All new mainstream models were considered inc the possibility of a "commercial use" 2-stroke. For reasons of being busy and stressed in other life directions at the moment I wanted the simplicity of trading in the Suzuki.

Quickly decided to stick with 4-stroke despite the surprising encouragement from a couple of Tohatsu dealers to have an old model 2-stroke for "my business"! So the factors that came into play were...

Yamaha 9.9: Bit up on the lowest 10hp weight, bit up on price and only local dealer I'd have used didn't want to trade the Suzuki.

Suzuki 9.9: Not very keen on the odd gearchange which is the very end of the tiller twistgrip, and weirdly neither Suzuki dealer would even quote a trade on the old 20.

Honda 9.9: Almost as heavy as a modern 20hp and expensive. Local dealer refused to take Suzuki in.

Mariner 9.9. Decent weight, price and a brand that has served me well over decades.

Tohatsu 9.8: Very closely related to the Mariner 9.9 but without the Mariner's "clever" tilt/trim mechanism or the gearchange on throttle. One nearby Tohatsu dealer refused to take the Suzuki in but would sell Tohatsu very reasonably. Other local dealer offered a nearly acceptable deal which I initially refused... then another sales guy phoned to sweeten the deal enough for me to agree... then at 10pm the night before I was due to go over and do the swap the "boss" emailed to explain the other guys had made mistakes on pricing and I would need to add £150 more to the deal. Obviously I refused... crooks.

In the end I went with a very small one man band Mariner dealer nearby who was totally straight re the deal, shook hands on it, I left the Suzuki with him and 36hrs later collected a fresh from the importer Mariner 9.9 with a full demo and run-through.

So I now have this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariner 9.9 ns rear2.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	125807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariner 9.9 ns running.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	125808  
Old 15 July 2018, 10:58   #2

A few different angles...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mariner 9.9 controls.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	125809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariner 9.9 ns underhood.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	125810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariner 9.9 os underhood.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	125811  
Old 15 July 2018, 11:05   #3

Of course I'd had the advantage of using a 10yr old 8hp version of this (perhaps just different carb?) on holiday for a few days so was quite familiar with the design and knew the 9.9 performance would be acceptable for this next phase of smallcraft boating.

It has an 8.5" pitch prop which I think will be fine given we have found a 10" on a 20hp and 9" on a 15hp ideal.

I am slightly indifferent to the Mercury/Mariner gears on throttle twistgrip arrangement mainly due to the one downside I'd experienced with it on the 10/15hp 2-strokes... if you'd flooded the engine or it was running uncertainly at idle you couldn't rev to clear without them going into gear. You had to take the hood off and manually move the throttle cam on the carb. But on this current model as the 8hp we tried there is a cut-out button on the side that disengages the gearchange so you can rev the engine freely. Very handy.

They have slightly changed the hood shape on these latest models. Also deleted the primer bulb that used to be next to the choke as apparently it splitting when aged was regarded as a reliability issue.

The only other difference I could notice was the rather neat way the tiller can fold right down as well as up which helps if fit in the car loadspace… see pic below.

This model can be transported on one of its sides or down forwards resting on the transom clamps.... added to the fact it is overall shorter than the Suzuki 20 due to far less hood bulk so will fit the car loadspace crossways... all making it easier to pack for travel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mariner 9.9 front tiller.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	125812  
Old 15 July 2018, 15:55   #4

Just fitted the same mini tach/hour meter as I used on the Suzuki. I have found these last so much longer under the hood.

Just before fitting that I gave the OB a run round the tub. Lighter pull than the Suzuki 20 and so far just as much an instant start. Idles near silently and has greater mounting flex than the Suzuki so less vibration through the tiller.

Looking forward to getting out and running it in.

Usual 10hr total break in period... 1hr half throttle... 1hr three quarter throttle... remaining 8hrs as normal except avoiding lengthy periods wide open.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine tacho.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	125819  
Old 15 July 2018, 18:49   #5

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
That all looks and sounds very nice. Can you let me know the dealer you used please. On here, PM or email whichever you prefer. We're still looking for something larger than the Suzuki DF6 so I might see if he wants to do a similar deal ! Thanks PG :-)
Old 15 July 2018, 19:28   #6

Pete it came from Greg at GB Watersports in Peterborough. A tiny setup down a yard at the side of an end terrace in town but an official dealer. I've known him in town at different locations for 30yrs or so. Very relaxed and down to earth to deal with. David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GB Watersports.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	125820  
Old 15 July 2018, 19:59   #7

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Prefect. Thanks David. Good luck with yours.
Old 15 July 2018, 20:16   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Great looking motor david looking forward to performance write up
Old 15 July 2018, 21:23   #9

Make: F-rib
Engine: Mariner 15HP
Looks very nice Fenlander, so what is the weight on this compared to your 20?

Also, may be a dumb question, but how do you use the tiny tach if it is under the hood?

Cheers,

Paul
Old 15 July 2018, 21:34   #10

With the Suzuki I had the Tiny Tach on the tiller for a few outings until I'd sorted the prop pitch... but despite being sold as waterproof they do tend to mist up. So once the need to see the revs was sorted I put it under the hood and just used it to record hours logged.

On this Mariner I'd be pretty sure the 8.5" pitch prop will be fine so will be happy to judge revs by ear... or when run in on a calm day just pop the hood off for one max speed run to check I'm getting the revs. Then use it as before as an hour meter.

On paper some might consider the weight reduction 9.9 vs 20 minimal and if you were free from a creaky back quite insignificant. But the saving is about 15lbs and to me that is an amount that was taking me over my comfort zone. It's about the bulk too. The Mariner hood is so much smaller, the handle better balanced etc so overall there's a useful improvement.

>>> performance write up

Hmm "performance" may be over stating it a bit Jeff!
Old 16 July 2018, 07:12   #11

I must admit I've always thought the the weight difference between a 10 and 20hp is quite minimal for the difference in terms of power. But as you say if it's on the edge of your weight limit it's important
Find it odd some dealers weren't keen to do a trade in. Be interesting to see what your old suzuki sells for
Anyway enjoy the new engine !
Old 16 July 2018, 08:04   #12

Make: F-rib
Engine: Mariner 15HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
On paper some might consider the weight reduction 9.9 vs 20 minimal and if you were free from a creaky back quite insignificant. But the saving is about 15lbs and to me that is an amount that was taking me over my comfort zone. It's about the bulk too. The Mariner hood is so much smaller, the handle better balanced etc so overall there's a useful improvement.
That makes sense, its surprising the difference a small amount of weight/bulk can make. I thought I would easily be able to handle the 15HP 2 stroke at 30 odd KG but it surprised me how awkward it is to move around

For river/estuary work I am looking at getting a little 5HP 4 stroke just for quietness and ease of carry.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 16 July 2018, 08:12   #13

Fenlander do you not have a 9.8 tohatsu 2 stroke? If you do i would have thought you'd have just used it. Or perhaps you don't have one I just thought I'd read in a previous post that you did
Old 16 July 2018, 08:22   #14

Had one a few years back on a 3m Zodiac and got on really well. Sold a while back though. As I said above could have gone back to one... not anti 2-stroke but for several reasons I'd rather stick to 4-stroke now.
Old 16 July 2018, 10:25   #15

RIBase
Quote:
With the Suzuki I had the Tiny Tach on the tiller for a few outings until I'd sorted the prop pitch... but despite being sold as waterproof they do tend to mist up. So once the need to see the revs was sorted I put it under the hood and just used it to record hours logged.

On this Mariner I'd be pretty sure the 8.5" pitch prop will be fine so will be happy to judge revs by ear... or when run in on a calm day just pop the hood off for one max speed run to check I'm getting the revs. Then use it as before as an hour meter.

>>> performance write up

Hmm "performance" may be over stating it a bit Jeff!
i dont know david it will be a light rig for sure just interested what you get out of her
Old 16 July 2018, 10:33   #16

Yep I'm interested too. I'll chuck up a guess that once run in self and Mrs F 13kts and solo 15kts??
Old 16 July 2018, 10:36   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Yep I'm interested too. I'll chuck up a guess that once run in self and Mrs F 13kts and solo 15kts??
yep i would be happy with that nice sensible speed
Old 17 July 2018, 19:26   #18

Small mod today to promote reliability after a good look over the OB.

The fuel connection points directly at the carry handle/loop and is only about two inches from it. The weight of the fuel line pulls the line to OB connection on the skew downwards which could cause air leaks as the seals wear. My Suzuki had a support at this point so the fuel line was kept straight as it entered the connection prongs.

So I will support the line where it passes under the handle with a Velcro type cable tie.

Note tach showing revs as it idles... supposed to be 900rpm in fwd gear so it looks about right for neutral. Will tweak as it loosens up for running in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fuel line support.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	125861  
Old 22 July 2018, 19:24   #19

First proper use and 25% of running in... the slower bits... completed on the river today. I can be a bit "whatever" about the river compared with the sea but it was a really nice relaxed few hours.

Given this was first set up and slipway launch with the new downsized outboard it has proved to be the right decision for us at this time... so much less stress lifting it about.

The Mariner is easier on the arms when starting than the Suzuki 20 too. It's proving to be a first pull start hot or cold as well.

Probably another two hours on a different stretch of river then to sea for final running in.

One thing I thought was faulty until reading the manual... on the Mariner/Mercury 10/15hp 2-strokes you could nip them into neutral and pull up into the shallow water position. On the current Mariner they have changed the interlock so you have to stop the engine then select forward before it will tilt. No problem once you know.

Something dealer related I meant to mention. On this Mariner at PDI the dealer had greased all points and I could see a spanner had been on all the main fixings to test their tightness. With my Suzuki the dealer didn't grease anything at the PDI or the first 20hr and no sign they'd checked any bolts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tacho first run.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	126000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adj rivermill.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	126001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Godmanchester adj lock.jpg
Views:	198