Old 16 October 2019, 18:53   #1

Length: 7m +
Mariner 6e9 reverse lock

Hey guys, so I got a Mariner EL 6e9 40c for 140 bucks. After a tune up and some much needed tlc, runs great and everything works but the reverse lock system. Replaced some tilt pins that were rusted into and the transom support stud but for the life of me I can’t figure out how the reverse lock works. Where do the two springs go and the long hook rod where does it connect? Some pictures of one complete would be awesome. Sorry if this has been posted before but I did look in archives and have scoured the internet for about a month. Thanks in advance!
Old 19 August 2020, 18:57   #2

Town: Atlanta, GA
Make: Spectrum
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Hey Dixie...did you ever figure this out? I know I am missing some parts but I can't figure out exactly what's missing. Sounds like I have about the same basic parts you had. See attached pics (I couldn't figure out how to attach pics, so I added links to them). Presumably the little thing the white arrow is pointing to "pops out" or moves some way when in reverse, causing that cam to move, but there's no movement at all when I shift from forward to reverse. I am comfortable dropping the lower unit to see what's happening on the shift rod, I'll probably do that this weekend. My hook is bent...I'm assuming that's not supposed to be like that. What do those springs hook onto? From the exploded parts diagram, it looks like I'm missing some parts, but for the life of me can't figure out exactly which ones or how they attach. Is the bar shown with the green arrow in the 2nd pic what the locking mechanism grabs onto? My unit is a 1983 Mariner 40C https://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...t-reverse-lock.
Seems like maybe I'm missing parts 31, 32, 37 and 38??

Image 1 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SlP...ew?usp=sharing

Image 2 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zc_...ew?usp=sharing
Old 19 August 2020, 22:06   #3

Hey man, yes I did end up getting the parts I needed and figured it out. As you know parts are hard to find for these. I had to use eBay Europe and Australia to get them and your pretty much at there will on asking price bc they don’t make em anymore. Not to mention most of it was used so you have to look at quality as new old stock is even harder to find. As far as yours it won’t lock without those missing parts. I’m picking up a 06 Yamaha that’s blown and my buddy is getting the lower unit for his. Best I can tell the tilt and trim, swivel, and swivel brackets look like they’ll work on mine which is what I want. If so I won’t need my reverse lock system and I can help you out. It’s all sandblasted and zinc primered and painted as well. Hope this helps. I know it drove me crazy and many hours online for months haha.
Old 20 August 2020, 00:58   #4

Right on. Thanks man. When are you thinking you know one way or the other if the Yammy unit will work for you? Like a week? Or two months or more? Just making sure I understand your timeline. Thanks again!!!
Old 20 August 2020, 01:18   #5

Barring any setbacks with the conversion, I would say a few months to be safe. My stuff is always last to get looked at bc of everyone else’s, you know how it goes lol
Old 20 August 2020, 13:02   #6

Roger that...I've had the boat for 7 years with no reverse lock, what's a few more months...haha. It's annoying though (as you know).