Old 22 September 2014, 12:55   #1

Length: 4m +
Mariner 40 needs a service

Hi. I have just purchased a Mariner 40 2 stroke which appears to have had very little use. I believe it is 6 years old.

I would like to get it serviced so I am happy that it is fit for use without the worry of troubles on the water, can someone recommend a service centre? I am in north east London/South Essex.

Also, is there a counter on the engine for the number of hours run?

Finally, can anyone recommend someone to get 2 stroke oil from. I found this which looked good, any feedback?

MARINE OUTBOARD TWO STROKE OIL MEETING TC-W3 SPECIFICATION BY EXOL 20 LITRE | eBay

Thanks in advance
Old 23 September 2014, 12:44   #2

any thoughts?
Old 23 September 2014, 18:06   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I dont think there is an hour counter on these models (may be wrong) as for service location I can't help sorry try a search?
Old 23 September 2014, 20:33   #4

Town: Leeds
Make: Valiant 450
Engine: Yamaha 55HP
Hello, I live too far away to advise on a dealer, but you would be unlucky if you didn't find anyone local to you that wasn't familiar with those engines.

1) if it has an hour meter it is likely to be the silver coloured type supplied to either the MOD or RNLI by Barrus ( the main distributors of these)

2) The engine is part of what was a collaboration between Yamaha and Mercury to get the engines into the USA as the US would not buy Japanese for a long time. The name Mariner was born. Some engines are Mercury and some Yamaha, yours is Yamaha.
3) The twin cylinder engines were bombproof and run on a 1:50 mix. If you have a 25 litre tank this means you add 500ml of oil. Basically take the litre amount, multiply by 10 and then again by 2, answer in ML.
4) Any TCW-3 oil is fine, buy a decent brand though, motol, castrol.
5) If you are unsure of the engine, put it on a stand, fill a large container with water and run it (out of gear) in the water. Gearbox must be fully immersed.
6) As a rule of thumb, once you have primed the carbs with fuel, set the throttle and pulled the choke out, it should fire on under 6 pulls. If not push the choke in and try again. It should go, but make sure your kill cord is attached and not at your feet.
7) Engine should warm up and idle smoothly within a minute and pump lots of water. If not it may be a blockage or an impeller problem. No water means no cooling. Stop immediately.
8) If the engine runs well and is happy, I would change the plugs, put a new fuel pump and backing gasket on (you will never regret this expense). Change the gearbox oil (ep90) fill from bottom plug until oil comes out of the top one and replace top plug then bottom plug.
9) a bit complicated if you have no technical skills, but I would replace the impeller and thermostat.
10) There should be some red painted settings on the engine, this is the timing settings, leave them alone if the paint is unbroken. If it is broken, you will need a teccie who knows how to reset the timing.
11) Clean fuel filter. There should be an o ring and a seal. If either is missing it will allow particles to get into your carbs and cause a blockage. If the o ring is missing it can cause a leak and possibly a fire.
12) spray with GT85 bike chain water repellent all over the block.
13) if the engine runs well, the spark is ok, but it is an idea to check the plug caps or replace. Waterproof NGK ones on eBay are ok.
14) I you have a tiller, make sure cable wires are not corroded.
15) Drain down carbs, before starting (should have said earlier) any muck or particles come out, you will need a carb service.
16) Find a good inshore lake or river for you first run, it's better to test close to a bank than be blown out to sea, after an hour or two running you wi gain trust in the engine before going to sea. If you know of a harbour, run slowly around it for an hour. Moor up and stop and start the engine to see how easy it is when warm.

Lastly-happy boating.
Old 23 September 2014, 20:34   #5

Except I hope it is the Yamaha version, you have not posted a picture.
Old 23 September 2014, 20:44   #6

Thanks for the advise. That is beyond my capabilities so best I get it services and those aspects dealt with I think. Planning on testing this Saturday. Will post up a picture now.

Thanks
Old 23 September 2014, 20:45   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1411505157.973170.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	99251
Old 23 September 2014, 20:53   #8

No, that's the mercury one, same rules apply though. Look for a mercury/mariner dealer, there shouldn't be one too far away. Given it looks in good condition, I would still run it in a container. I use a huge flowerpot. Made for the job.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1411505620.469786.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	99252
Old 23 September 2014, 20:56   #9

When I bought it we get it a good run with water muffs and it started on second pull and pumped water fine. Thanks for all your help mate.
Old 23 September 2014, 20:56   #10

That one may be oil injected, if it is don't premix the fuel and oil. Easy to know the difference, you lid will have a cap on it and an oil tank underneath. Your dealer will assist.
Old 23 September 2014, 20:58   #11

There is a dealer near Upminster. Think they are Suzuki, but probably do all makes. Can't remember exact location though.
Old 23 September 2014, 20:59   #12

What are you using as an engine stand? That looks a good idea.
Old 23 September 2014, 21:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIB-Teccie View Post
There is a dealer near Upminster. Think they are Suzuki, but probably do all makes. Can't remember exact location though.

Oh I'll check them out. Are you in London then?
Old 24 September 2014, 08:00   #14

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
go on the web site of barrus for your nearest dealer, is there any stenciled markings on the leg? If so what are they.
Old 27 September 2014, 01:34   #15

I have the inlaws not a million miles away. Rather than take the train from further out when visiting, I find it easier to drive to the tube at Upminster to get into London and I pass it on the way.