Old 28 June 2011, 20:16   #1

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Mariner 30hp prop selection

Hi,
I previously posted about my troubles getting my caribe over the hump with three on board, or even with two if you both sit on the back on the comfy seat. I put some dole fins on which sort of helped a bit. It was suggested I drop a pitch on the prop and see how that goes.

Now, my old prop has thrown a big enough chunk of blade (I think it had been previously welded) on my last day out and now needs replacing really. The info on it is a bit hard to read, but I think it's a 9 7/8 x 10 1/2. Doesnt that seem a bit on the small size already? I've heard of similar motors on 14ft boats running 13 pitch and doing a good job at it! I'd be loathe to drop another pitch without asking opinions - I'd hate to hobble my boat.

What do you think - Drop the pitch further, or just deal with having to sit at opposite ends of the boat to get over the hump? I should add it goes ok otherwise top gps speed so far about 25mph on a flatish run.
Old 28 June 2011, 21:36   #2

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Forgot to say the prop also has an F on it. The only F type prop I've found was a yamaha which did indeed have the same size and pitch as this one. Any advice as to where I should go from here is gratefully received