Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 18 April 2012, 21:18   #1

Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Mariner 2stroke bearing carrier

So the manual for my 50hp Mariner 2 strokes (mid 90's vintage) recommends pulling the bearing carriers once a year to service the seals and keep everything corrosion-free and watertight. What I can't work out from the manual is just what is involved in doing this - is it just a case of removing the 2 bolts at the aft end, pulling the unit, cleaning greasing and reinstalling, or do I end up needing special tools, having bits of gear linkage to reinstall, etc? I'm happy with jobs like impellor changes, etc, but the gearbox itself is not something I've gone into before. Be grateful for any advice please - is it straightforward or one to be left to the professionals?

Thanks!
Old 18 April 2012, 21:49   #2

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy View Post
So the manual for my 50hp Mariner 2 strokes (mid 90's vintage) recommends pulling the bearing carriers once a year to service the seals and keep everything corrosion-free and watertight. What I can't work out from the manual is just what is involved in doing this - is it just a case of removing the 2 bolts at the aft end, pulling the unit, cleaning greasing and reinstalling, or do I end up needing special tools, having bits of gear linkage to reinstall, etc? I'm happy with jobs like impellor changes, etc, but the gearbox itself is not something I've gone into before. Be grateful for any advice please - is it straightforward or one to be left to the professionals?

Thanks!
It did this to probably the exact same box last year as I have a late 80s 60hp merc. Its not that difficult, while I did make a little puller to go behind the lugs on the bearing carrier I firstly shifted it out by using two flat metal strips wedged behind the prop and then used the prop and prop nut as a puller just to get it moved, then the puller worked fine. I know the MOD technicians pull the carriers every year and of course that way nothing ever sticks. However I would have thought every 2 or 3 years would be fine as mine was 20+ yrs and it still wasn't corroded much. I plan to do mine every few years, do you have a manual, as mine described the process really well, with plenty of pics. As I didn't know which seal was leaking I stripped them all out and replaced them all in an hour or two after work one day, a kit of sierra seals was about £40 from Key Parts in Watford.

Just go for it!

Davej
Old 19 April 2012, 10:49   #3

Town: Deventer
Boat name: .
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
We usually just remove the carriernut, put the prop and propnut back on the shaft temporarily and then carefully take out the bearing carrier by a careful use of the NYLON hammer on the back (edge) of the prop. Well maintained ones go out without problems, old shitty ones need a different treatment.. This way will save you buying a puller..
Good luck!!
Old 19 April 2012, 19:32   #4

Thanks for the advice guys. So it basically comes out as a unit (once you get it moving), other parts stay put, so you just clean the carrier up, replace seals if needed, and slide back in? I wasn't sure if gear shift cams, etc, ended up having to be reinstalled....?
Cheers
Old 19 April 2012, 20:15   #5

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithyyy View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. So it basically comes out as a unit (once you get it moving), other parts stay put, so you just clean the carrier up, replace seals if needed, and slide back in? I wasn't sure if gear shift cams, etc, ended up having to be reinstalled....?
Cheers
Yes, it comes out as a unit with the carrier sealed with a large o ring, which my MOD contacts tell me is the usual one that goes. I just cleaned it up after replacing the prop shaft double seals, greased it well again and it slipped in. Oh what I forgot to say is that the strange plastic prop nut/ring was all corroded in and with a sharp wood chisel I cut it out( it was a waste of time trying to unscrew it) and then spent sometime cleaning out the threads with a scriber before putting another one in.

The other seals ie the driveshaft and shift shaft if you wanted to replace are pretty easy and after taking all the gear internals out of the casing washed it out with oil and then replaced eveerything.
good luck
Old 20 April 2012, 22:50   #6

Great, thanks!