Old 22 September 2015, 09:48   #1

Town: Merseyside
Make: walker bay genesis
Length: under 3m
Engine: mariner 2 stroke 4hp
Mariner 2 stroke 4 hp

Morning.

Got this little outboard recently with a small inflatable rib.

outboard runs ok as in it starts and runs ok.

Its a 50-1 mix so I've just ordered some quicksilver 2 stroke oil instead of going for a halfords oil.

Just wondering as I think the fuel has been sitting in the tank for some time if there is an additive I can add to give the engine and carbureter a good clean out while the motor is in use.

Not in a position to have it all stripped down so looking for next best thing.

Thanks
Old 22 September 2015, 10:05   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
By coincidence I'm working on my mid 1980s Mariner 4 2-stroke at the moment. It gets little use and I leave the fuel in from one year to the next. After not running it for 14mths it started 2nd pull this weekend and ran fine in the test tank (but not good enough tell tale flow so that's what I'm sorting). As I'd taken the powerhead off for the job I'm doing while I was at it I took the carb off and checked the float bowl and jets... absolutely clean.

So if yours starts and runs nicely just use it.
Old 22 September 2015, 16:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
By coincidence I'm working on my mid 1980s Mariner 4 2-stroke at the moment. It gets little use and I leave the fuel in from one year to the next. After not running it for 14mths it started 2nd pull this weekend and ran fine in the test tank (but not good enough tell tale flow so that's what I'm sorting). As I'd taken the powerhead off for the job I'm doing while I was at it I took the carb off and checked the float bowl and jets... absolutely clean.

So if yours starts and runs nicely just use it.
Thanks fenlander I'm going to use it, just thought I could add something to remove any old particles of crap that might have built up.. water from the outlet wasn't too great at first but put some swarfega diluted in a bucket and run it for a couple of hours... got a nice flow now. did run it again in clean water afterwards just to rinse off.
Old 25 September 2015, 09:16   #4

Took this engine out yesterday and it got me to where I wanted to go...however....it didn't get me back... struggling to start and once started cuts out
Old 25 September 2015, 11:33   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
First thing to look at is the spark plug to see if wet or dry when it's faulting... to decide on spark or fuel issue.

I'd be expecting a fuel issue more likely so it's a process of elimination starting with seeing if there is a good flow into the carb from the (integral I assume) tank. Then pop the carb off and remove the float chamber to see if there's any crud. Look at the jets too and also see if the float valve shuts off OK.

Wiring to the stop button can cause intermittent issues.

But overall they are a very robust and simple engine so it shouldn't be too big an issue to sort.
Old 27 September 2015, 18:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
First thing to look at is the spark plug to see if wet or dry when it's faulting... to decide on spark or fuel issue.

I'd be expecting a fuel issue more likely so it's a process of elimination starting with seeing if there is a good flow into the carb from the (integral I assume) tank. Then pop the carb off and remove the float chamber to see if there's any crud. Look at the jets too and also see if the float valve shuts off OK.

Wiring to the stop button can cause intermittent issues.

But overall they are a very robust and simple engine so it shouldn't be too big an issue to sort.
cheers fenlander good news is I've got it running again, between the carburetor and the engine there is another block approx 1/2 inch thick that has 3 oblong type ultra fine mesh panels on it, the gasket between the engine and this part was shot and drawing in air. so I made a cardboard gasket and vaselined both sides, I also took the fuel pump off and checcked it out and cleaned all the carburetor etc while it was all dismantled, it worked for a few hours after and then died again failing to start. discovered a little black type washer on the floor today and figured it must have come from the carburetor, turned out it was from the fuel pump, it sits between the diaphram and the spring, all sorted now and not bad for someone who has never tinkered with an engine in his life