Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 08 December 2004, 10:37   #1

Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp mariner
Likely damage running over anchor chain...

I've been offered a 4 year old yamaha 50 (incidently attached to a 4 year old commercial spec searider 4m asking £6000 sounds a lot?)

The engine is supposed to be light use as a tender to a charter yacht - however seller was honest enough to mention that a friend had taken it out and sheared all the blades from the prop whilst enjoying a tussle with an anchor chain - he reckoned new prop and impellor have been fitted, but could the damage be more extensive than this? (I am assuming standard alloy prop here)

thanks in advance
Old 08 December 2004, 10:48   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
I ve seen the searider you are referring to on boats and outboards, 6k seems a lot of money. Did he say which charter yacht it was tender to, always worth doing some reaserch.

Re the prop I think if all the blades have been sheared off it has probably damaged the gearbox. I would get it surveyed or checked over by a marine engineer.

You could try draining the gearbox oil and see if it feels gritty like or if bits of cogs come out the drain plug its buggered! Does it select gears at the moment. Nice looking boat if I remember rightly, if it was a bargin price I'd risk it but its well over priced.

This 2003 5.4 came on today:http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F51829/ Probably better value.

Worth waiting for someone like Tue or Pete7 to answer this post cos they know what they are talking about!

good luck

Alex
Old 08 December 2004, 10:50   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Agree with Alex, it could be okay or it could be a pile of pooh, difficult to know.

If its a 4 stroke I think one went through e bay recently at £2.5k with no bids.

Crayside marine have a mariner 50 4 stroke at £2k. Dealt with them in the past, straight guy.

http://www.craysidemarine.co.uk/

Does seem a little pricey, Ed is selling a little Tornado 4.5 on the 'for sale' forum with new tubes for much less than that. Okay its a 2 stoke but nice engine, rumoured to have been designed by Yamaha.

Pete
Old 08 December 2004, 10:55   #4
ADS

Town: Dorset
Is this the boat in question George:
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F46076

That tornado is a very good buy, should go quite well to!
Old 08 December 2004, 11:17   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Gearbox damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by George8910
I've been offered a 4 year old yamaha 50 (incidently attached to a 4 year old commercial spec searider 4m asking £6000 sounds a lot?)

The engine is supposed to be light use as a tender to a charter yacht - however seller was honest enough to mention that a friend had taken it out and sheared all the blades from the prop whilst enjoying a tussle with an anchor chain - he reckoned new prop and impellor have been fitted, but could the damage be more extensive than this? (I am assuming standard alloy prop here)

thanks in advance
If it was an insurance claim that I was assessing I would want to have a look inside to make sure that the gears are not damaged.
Old 08 December 2004, 12:41   #6

Thanks a lot - very sensible advice - yes it's the one on boats and outboards I spoke to the guy earlier and he is "very inflexible on price" so I agree it's overpriced especially as it's on a bramber trailer...

The tornado looks interesting - am I right this version is only a medium V hull? bit less seaworthy therefore? I had started to have my heart set on a searider because of all the good press from the likes of Rogue wave!
Old 08 December 2004, 12:43   #7

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
I think Tornados are bloody good too...don't quote me on that though
Old 08 December 2004, 12:58   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by George8910
The tornado looks interesting - am I right this version is only a medium V hull? bit less seaworthy therefore? I had started to have my heart set on a searider because of all the good press from the likes of Rogue wave!
Their web site says variable, so deep v at the front going to medium v at the stern, but the photo from Ed suggests thats it still has quite a nice shape. If it was my money then I would be driving down to see him and he should be able to take you for a trial in her.

http://www.boat-finder.com/12460/details.php
Old 08 December 2004, 13:06   #9

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
As nice as that searider maybe and in that condition its still only 4metres long, i got for a bigger boat for the ££ - just my opinion
Old 08 December 2004, 13:08   #10

thanks pete - I've mailed ribraff to find out more about the engine - I had a mariner 40 blow up over the summer so treading carefully with secondhand outboards...