Old 10 December 2022, 00:00   #1

Town: Texas
Boat name: Fatboy
Make: Saturn
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20A and DF6
Leak on Suzuki DF6A?

Howdy!
I bought a brand new suzuki DF6A a couple of months ago and just got the 20 hours oil change done by myself. It's not my first outboard but I'm still relatively new to these bad boys and don't know if it's me messed something up.
On the first trip after oil change in Matagorda bay Texas the pull starter made a huge ticking noise when I pulled the rope but the motor started just fine. I turned it off, pull started a couple of more times and the ticking noise was gone so I thought oh it probably was an accident.
Then I got home, put the motor on a stand and let it ran in a trash can for 5 minutes. Oh my gosh the black soot was everywhere, looked like from the exhaust. See the picture here. I have never seen this on my DF20A or any other small outboard, not even in this exact DF6A before.
So I checked and found that I forgot to change the oil filter. I opened the oil filter well, guess what, there was full of oil inside with the filter sinking in it which seemed not right(oil filter leak?).
I changed the filter to a brand new suzuki OEM, only to find the same black stuff still everywhere.
The motor runs fine. It just feels a bit rough when turnning off. The head shaked itself like crazy when it was running out of the residual gas in carburetor.
Any one has experience on this problem or probably a normal thing? I was a Suzuki fan but it feels that I'm not impressed with Suzuki's quality. Or to say any outboards quality. There is always something going wrong during every single trip lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221209_182150.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	141928   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221209_182145.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	141929  
Old 10 December 2022, 10:40   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Hard to say whats going on but my first thought would be too much oil in it. How did you verify the level after refilling it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 10 December 2022, 18:18   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
As Ken says too much oil
Old 10 December 2022, 19:49   #4

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
How did you transport the engine - if you're going to lay them down don't many 4 strokes need to be laid down in a particular way to stop oil getting where it shouldn't?

Tags
suzuki