alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
KAD32 supercharger sounds like a fog-horn

Hi guys,
Since ye were so helpful last time, I have to ask again....

I changed all my belt's on the KAD32 2 weeks ago, everything sweet until today. When the supercharger engaged it started to sound like a fog-horn (literly)

It's not the belts, they seem to be tentioned fine (About 5mm play on the supercharger belt and the circulation belt). I have put up about 5 engine hours since changing the belts and no problem, it only started today.

The supercharger works fine, gives great acceleration. The noise is pretty much the same all through the supercharger rev range, and it constant (Whereas a belt problem tends to squeak)

I don't know if a slipping clutch would make any noise? The supercharger oil is just at MAX, and was changed about 30 hours ago. Anyone got any ideas before I start thinking deeply?!
Old 05 June 2007, 19:56   #2

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Air get pressurised by it,are the connection tight going in and coming out?

hope it's not forked

As an incedental I came back from afar in convoy with another boat with two of your engines in it. the super belt had snapped, black dust everywhere,how much and where did you get your belts?

IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Hi guys,
Since ye were so helpful last time, I have to ask again....

I changed all my belt's on the KAD32 2 weeks ago, everything sweet until today. When the supercharger engaged it started to sound like a fog-horn (literly)

It's not the belts, they seem to be tentioned fine (About 5mm play on the supercharger belt and the circulation belt). I have put up about 5 engine hours since changing the belts and no problem, it only started today.

The supercharger works fine, gives great acceleration. The noise is pretty much the same all through the supercharger rev range, and it constant (Whereas a belt problem tends to squeak)

I don't know if a slipping clutch would make any noise? The supercharger oil is just at MAX, and was changed about 30 hours ago. Anyone got any ideas before I start thinking deeply?!
Old 05 June 2007, 20:02   #3
alt

You're just after reminding me of a thread I read about 3-4 weeks back. Exact same symptons (sounded like a fog horn lol) and it turned out to be the hose connections leaking... will give that a try first thing in the morning (It does sound like it's coming from the hose insted of the charger itself)

All belt's were genuine Volvo Penta from Volspec (Good guys btw - excellent service), I even bought a spare of each as I was told those engines like to eat belts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Air get pressurised by it,are the connection tight going in and coming out?
As an incedental I came back from afar in convoy with another boat with two of your engines in it. the super belt had snapped, black dust everywhere,how much and where did you get your belts?

IB
Old 06 June 2007, 23:20   #4
alt

My suspicions were confirmed...

Just a simple loose hose-clip on the flexi-pipe on top of the engine, fixed in a matter of seconds, and no more fog-horn noises! Just had a lovely day out on the water