Old 03 November 2004, 17:37   #1

Town: moreton
Boat name: mustang
Make: mustang waverider
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60 bhp johnson vro
johnson vro running problem?

Hi , im new to boating , purchased my mustang waverider in sept, and new to the forum aswell, always wanted a speed boat and finally pursuaded the wife and 2 kids that it would be a great investment!
we took her out on the welsh coast in old coway, ross on sea and had a good couple of hrs, infact it was that good we did the same the next day, this time as we set off , just warming the engine up, she was running a treat,then suddenly the engine revs started to drop offuntil the engine stalled sounded like fuel starvation, tank was full and prime bulb was 'hard', me being the novice , i tried to start her but failed , wasn't sure if i was flooding the eng with my overzelous use of the auto choke on the key, any way , much to my wife and kids embarressment we were towed in by a very helpfull fishing boat, once along side we turned the key and she fire up! after about half an hr same thing again, i noticed the fuek connector on steel tk was badly corroded up and cracked open tk lid , this had some pressure build up, engine ran ok for a while then died off again,so we called it a day. once home i flushed engine thro so it starts ok first time and seemed ok when revved, stripped the 3 carbs and found middle carb gummed up and looked like the high speed jet at base of float was blocked , so cleaned out and put her in for a service just incase, he said the top carb was running a bit rich but overall the engine is in good order, as i intend to use the boat in winter i was wondering if anyone else has experienced such problems or am i over reacting as i have yet to give her another test run in open water. also i cleaned the fuel tk and put a new fuel connector on outlet and i found the 2 small vent pins on the tk were seized, so freed them off aswell, could this have been the problem ie tk not venting properly , i have stripped the fuel pump and diaphragm ok, my only other thought is the pump itself as it is electric and not run off the crank, possible electric fault ? a new fuel filter has been fitted also.
Old 03 November 2004, 17:52   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
It could have been any of these things. Go and try it and then report back.
Old 03 November 2004, 17:53   #3

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Hi and Welcome. Could well have been lack of tank ventalation. Was the tank resonably full? if so there is'nt much space for air and soon starts to "Suck!

Good luck with it

Brian
Old 03 November 2004, 18:02   #4

yes ash the tk was full and i also found the vent hole blocked on tank top, when she runs it sounds sweet no misfire or splutter lets hope its cured and ill report after next outing. cheers lads!
Old 10 November 2004, 18:19   #5

recently took her out for a test run and it was a bit of a bee to start initially, as every time i went to put into gear engine stalled i suspect the exh v/vs on the cool wtr system were sticking , if you folow , and after some throttle and a little coaxing she was away , had 2 hrs of fun no mre running problems! so im happy now.!
Old 10 November 2004, 22:11   #6

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Your initial problem sounds like classic lack of tank venting to me. Now you've cleaned it all up and air is replacing the petrol its running fine.

The Bad starting could have been due the the plugs being fouled from the previous non starting, although you'd have thought the service would include cleaning them