Old 03 September 2007, 17:51   #1

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Length: 8m +
Jet-powered

Hi,
I am looking at a jet-powered rib. I have already read the only other thread I found re. jet-powered boats, but there are still a couple of questions that I would like to find answers to.
What kind of consumption would I be looking at here? I thihnk that this boat has a largish diesel as its power lump.

Is it possible to "convert" the boat to outboard/inboard as the case may be?
Not that I am thinking of doing this, but it is nice to know what is possible.

I hope that these questions are not stupid, but I really know very little about jet-powered units.

Tx.
Rupert.
Old 03 September 2007, 18:17   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
A bit more info would be useful
Old 04 September 2007, 08:25   #3

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
http://www.rupertmarine.com/en/

Take a look at this with your name
Old 04 September 2007, 13:15   #4

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
Hi,
I am looking at a jet-powered rib. I have already read the only other thread I found re. jet-powered boats, but there are still a couple of questions that I would like to find answers to.
What kind of consumption would I be looking at here? I thihnk that this boat has a largish diesel as its power lump.

Is it possible to "convert" the boat to outboard/inboard as the case may be?
Not that I am thinking of doing this, but it is nice to know what is possible.

I hope that these questions are not stupid, but I really know very little about jet-powered units.

Tx.
Rupert.

I think I would be able to help with a bit more information - we make a 1.7 litre 120hp diesel waterjet RIB - 6 metres overall and should use 27 LPH flat out, but in reality it uses around 10 - 12 litres per hour! It seats 5 with a big rear deck over the engine compartment, and we've fitted a "Monster Tower" to it for wakeboarding and with the 10" jet it will pull big guys up on a wakeboard with a great wake.

The hole in the bottom of the boat will be a handicap to fitting a conventional drive, as well as the wrong shaped one in the transom - the engine will be too far forward as well - a lot of work to convert to a conventional drive!

Not sure if that helps, but you might be able to use some of that as a comparison!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2007, 16:02   #5

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Thanks.

Thanks guys. I really wish I had more info, but I just learned about these power units surfing around on the web and wanted to learn more about them.
I do seem to remember that the power unit was a diesel, quite big if I remember rightly, and that it why it struck me that it might drink a lot of juice.
Am just wondering whether they are better than ob/ib, I guess.
Rupert.
Old 04 September 2007, 21:22   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Water jet power isn't as efficient as normal props - prob about 20% difference. In smaller lighter boats it does have a few problems in rough weather - the pump can suck air instead of water which will reduce thrust.

Having said that they give you far more control - you can do a full speed stop without breaking anything - they are great in shallow water and for safety - and they are much kinder to the engine.
Old 05 September 2007, 09:25   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Not sure yet:-)
Make: Revenger.
Engine: Inboard/Petrol/625hp
Revenger have just supplied a 32 which has had a 480hp Yanmar fitted,Hamilton water jet said it would do a max of 47 knots,imagine their amazement when the customer reported 52 knots !! Very nice unit though,very well engineered.
Gordon McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2007, 09:41   #8

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Water jet power isn't as efficient as normal props - prob about 20% difference. In smaller lighter boats it does have a few problems in rough weather - the pump can suck air instead of water which will reduce thrust.

Having said that they give you far more control - you can do a full speed stop without breaking anything - they are great in shallow water and for safety - and they are much kinder to the engine.
Although they are less efficient overall, a lot of commercial shipping use jets as they are more efficient at a specific speed, vary that speed and the efficiency drops off. Small diesels in RIBs or sports boats have the advantage of weight over say, a jet ski as they don't come out of the water as much - our 6 metre boat went over the Cowes for Ribex in a good force 6 without any problems!

Our diesel will go from 36 mph to facing the other way in not much more than its own length! The two week points of a conventional drive are the two 90 degree bends in the drive and the forward neutral reverse parts - a jet drive is direct permanent drive (some larger boats do have a clutch) or just through some gearing to get the revs of the impeller right making them less complicated and therefore much more reliable. (10 - 12 litres an hour doesn't do any harm either!)

Petrol jets tend to be quite uneconomical although the later Seadoo models are much better than they used to be!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote