Old 02 July 2003, 20:06   #1

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
Is 50 hp Honda enough?

I am a wannbe RIBer, and am looking at, perhaps. a Zodiac 550. Will a 50 hp Honda be enough to get it up on step and cruise (light load) at 22 mph? I see everyone runs Big Ponies on these RIBs, but I need to de-tune to 35 hp so I can also fish on the Kenai River. A 50 hp Honda can be de-tuned in minutes. I don't need to run at 40 mph; 22 is OK if that is what I must do.
Option 2: Get a slightly bigger boat with twin 50's, de-tuning one while on the Kenai. Now, will I be able to steer in a river with one, off-set de-tuned and therefore underponied outboard????
Old 02 July 2003, 20:09   #2

oops...

Damn. I hit the wrong button before signing off. Soooo.....Thanks, anyone, for your input. My dealer and Zodiac would not really answer my question. John, in Alaska
Old 03 July 2003, 08:54   #3

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
You can steer a boat easily with only 1 engine offset running. It will handle differently but is still not a problem. If you detune the engine with the boat weight on the opposite side to the prop kick this will minimise the issue of having an offset engine, depending on the hull and the prop it may almost be balanced. The further apart the engines are mounted the more difficult the steering with one will be but the easier the slow handling will be with both running. If they are close you will get better high end performance both running and you will be able to handle with one running more easily, you will however find it more difficult to manover with both running ie one forward one back. On thing you will need to ensure if you are planning to run just one is that you can run with one up and one down this will reduce the drag and give better fuel economy, speed and handling. Basically you need to check the steering bar to ensure their is a joint in it. This will stop it bending.
Old 03 July 2003, 16:04   #4

thanks

dgpw: Much appreciated; several issues mentioned of which I had no idea. John