Old 29 May 2007, 20:15   #1

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Ikle Suz Props

Hi. I suppose I should do the whole "I'm new here" bit, so I'll keep it short. Been lurking for ages, driving ribs for even longer, and finally bought an SR4 with a Suz 25 not long ago.

I am absolutely astounded at how fast my SR gets on the plane. I've driven dozens of different SR4s with anything from 20 (not sure how to get the yawny face yet - so here's a text one instead :-O ) to 50 hanging on the transom. The general rule I've found with a 25 is - open throttle......wait for it to drain.... lean forward a bit.....plane. So, here I am with a Suz 25/13" prop on the back. Gets on the plane like it's a 30 (i.e pretty instantly). No hesitation, no "bow in the air while the floor drains", it just planes. But when it's up there will do 20 knots absolute max.

I realise this is proably an aux engine question for a lot of you so, for all you SR4 owners - Does anyone else have known pitch experience with a 25? I suspect all the club rescue boats I've driven over the years have had a 14" or even 15" prop on, without realising, making this the first "low" pitch one I have driven. Don't ask about what RPM it's reaching / maxing out on / over-revving at etc - I haven't managed to find a rev. counter that will talk to it yet, but it certainly doesn't sound like it's straining at any throttle angle or speed.

I've tried looking for a cheap secondhand one to experiment with, but unfortunately all the engine breakers I have asked so far only have 11 or 12" in their box of bits. One offered to sell me a new one, but as he wanted about 5 days cruising worth of fuel for it, I thought I'd ask you guys & gals if it would be worth spending the money... I don't mind spending it, but not if i'm going to end up with a useless lump of aluminium! I'm sure it should go faster, and take longer to get up there, so I reckon an up-pitching can only help the cruising, where a relatively small proportion of time is spent getting up on the plane.

Alternatively if anyone knows of a Suzuki P1401 or P1501 prop (fits any 25/30 from about 1989 to present day according to the Suz prop guide) gathering dust somewhere and wants to swap it for some brown drinking vouchers......

Great site, I should have joind in ages ago!