Old 16 October 2004, 08:35   #1

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
I toasted my motor!!!! {:(

I took it out this evening and was running for a few miles ~3 and the motor started to sound mechanical then died. We threw the anchor let her cool down and pretty muched turned back home. Had running problems the whole time really. Not sure at the time what was wrong we assumed it could be poor fuel. Well my hunch told me otherwise and tonight I took the powerhead and exhaust manifold off and peaked into the cylinders and they were scored really really badly.
http://www.porfor.com/toast.jpg
I then looked at the oil pump lines and I could not believe, the oil line coming from from the pump was dry . Well I guess somehow I introduced air into the pump a day ago when I was messing with the fuel lines. I know the motor will still run but its damaged for sure especially the top piston. In any case I am no longer going to take this boat out to the islands. Can't trust it. On the bright side I talked to a chap selling a 4 m searider and a 2000 50 hp 2 strkTohatsu, center console. He wants $5000 USD for it, is that a good price? Any opinions and suggestions for things to look for? I will be looking into that one this weekend. I might post back with a new acquisition.

Thanks again

Boatster
Old 16 October 2004, 09:25   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I agree, not really worth trying to rebuild an 89 suz. If the pistons are that bad the bearings and bores aren't going to be much better.

however rather than change the boat why not just find another good second hand engine ?

Think this should have gone on the engine forum. but sure JK can move it for us.

Pete
Old 16 October 2004, 09:53   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
boatster

Buy the searider, you know it makes sense. Price seems good as well especially if it comes with a trailer.

Regards Biggles
Old 16 October 2004, 10:41   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Makes a lot of sense adding oil to the fuel - that way you KNOW it will be ok!!!
Old 16 October 2004, 18:40   #5

I did put in oil. Well oil into the oil tank. Thing was somehow air got into the oil pump and thats when the motor oil in the lines went dry. Its unfortunate. But I think it would have happened eventually because I had no idea the oiling system was so sensitive. From now on, anytime I deal with an oil injection I'm going to bleed it for good measure. Live and learn.
Old 16 October 2004, 21:15   #6

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I's quite common to remove to remove the oil injection system completely and premix the fuel.
Old 09 November 2004, 04:19   #7

Well today I took some 400 grit emery cloth to the cylinder walls and put the engine back together. I started her back up and idled for a while before increasing rpms. Shes running nicely again. I took her out on the water this evening and eventually eased into WOT and the boat goes just as fast as it did before the scoring. Apparently only the top cylinder got scored badly. The lower two were spared. The motor even idles at 750 rpms nicely so I assume the compression between pistons isn't that bad. I'm going to do a leak down test tonight to determine the extent of damage. Its good to know the motor isn't toasted like I previously thought. Though a good long sea trial may reveal otherwise. I'm going to be very cautious. Now that I have the Searider I'll have a someone to rescue me if something bad were to occur.