Old 27 March 2004, 13:45   #1

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Tango
Make: Humber
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60Hp Mariner BF Outb
I Need a new engine !

I’ve just spent the last hour and a half getting back to shore at 4.7Knots, this was due to my Evinrude 60 packing in on me again!
Lucky for me I carry a 6hp Johnson for this kind of emergency and so I managed to keep out of the way of the Liverpool SeaCat.
This happened quite a few times last year and so I think it’s time for a change, I need a reliable engine.

I’m looking for any help or feed back on 4 stroke engines, 50hp to about 75hp

Can anyone recommend a good dealer or give advice on preference (Honda, Yamaha etc)

Jon
Old 27 March 2004, 18:02   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Well:

Mercury and Mariner fourstrokes are the same engine.
Suzuki and Johnson fourstrokes are the same engine.

So really its a choice of 3, the 2 above and a yamaha and yamaha share some of the same blocks with merc/mariner, the 115 is shared, not sure about the others.

IMO you cant go wrong with any of the fourstrokes on the market at the moment and it just a case of shoping around untill you get a really good deal on one.
Old 27 March 2004, 18:21   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Why do you want a four stroke.

Yamaha 3 pot 70 BETOL is very difficult engine to beat.

Tohatsu 70 also reliable

the new tohatsu TLDI range should also be investigated IMHO

If you insist on 4 stroke then look carefully at the weights of the engines you are considering and also how the power is measures. i.e the Prop or the Crank.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2004, 18:31   #4

Town: Swinton Manchester
Length: 5m +
Send a message via AIM to Graham H
Give Bill Higham Marine a ring he has new & used engines most makes in stock 0161 790 7678 www,billhigham.co.uk not far from you just of #13 M60
Old 28 March 2004, 06:51   #5

Thanks gents

To be honest I thought that for reliability 4 strokes seem to be the dog's doo dah's, maybe I’m wrong.
I'll certainly look at Tohatsu its one name that never came to mind.

Jon
Old 29 March 2004, 06:37   #6

Town: Whitstable
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hawkerj - So what happened to the Evinrude then when it stopped, would be interested to know what the exact problem was and potential outcome of your problems, having completely rebuilt and re sleeved my evinrude i completely sympathise with you right now, i also broke down about 4 miles out and it took me 2 hours to limp back to the slipway.

R
Old 29 March 2004, 09:34   #7

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
e-tec/ new opti

Well if you want reliability and durability, you should be looking at the new evinrude e-tec:

http://www.evinrude.com/e-tec/default.htm?OT

So over engineered and durable, that there is no scheduled dealer maintenance for 3 years. My local outboard dealer stocks johnson, evinrude, mercury/mariner and honda, but swears by these. They use barely any oil, are very quiet and clean and are seriously light. There were twin 90 e-tecs on the back of the new Redbay Hurricane at the LBS.

A sworn optimax man myself, I still would have gone for one of these on my new boat, but i needed a 135, and they only go up as far as 90 at the moment.

Also don't forget that there's a new optimax 75 out now as well.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/mercury_75_optimax
Old 29 March 2004, 09:55   #8

Possibly......

the nicest looking outboard around.

E-tec 75

£6,089 (retail)
138kg

A 60 may also suit you. Very light at 107kg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	st_75hp-m.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	4976  
Old 29 March 2004, 09:57   #9

and another one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	st_75hp_profile-m.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	4978  
Old 29 March 2004, 10:01   #10

New Opti 75

Mercury Optimax 75

£6,599 (retail)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	me$opt$f115-75$meopt_75.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	4979  
Old 29 March 2004, 18:13   #11

Bilge Rat

Where do I start!

I had problems last year with the VRO, while running the engine in the garden I suddenly found the place full of white smoke, the only thing that stopped it was disconnecting the VRO and mixing oil and fuel in the tanks instead. The pump looked ok, the diaphragm was intact so I’m still none the wiser to what caused all the smoke. Every time I reconnected the pump, same thing, lots of smoke.

Another problem I’m having is the complete loss of power. The engine starts erratic, run’s for about 30 mins and then die’s a slow death, it’s very temperamental.

I did have problems with the temperature sensor, it seemed to be telling the engine it’s over heating and the safety system causes the engine to cut back to low rev’s. Once replaced the engine worked fine for a few months, then other problems started.

I have noticed the loom seems to be suffering from corrosion, I’ve had to cut and re-terminate connections due to them perishing.

I’ll contact Bill Higham Marine as Graham hope suggests, they look like a good place to start and see what they say. The only other option I have is to replace the engine, don’t know if I can extend to the £6000 for the evinrude e-tec but it does look the part.

Jon
Old 29 March 2004, 19:19   #12

Boat name: Spitfire
Make: Mako
Length: 5,5
Engine: Honda BF 90
HONDA BF 50

Hi,

if you´re looking for a 50 HP engine, the Honda is the lightest 4 stroke on the market. It´s a very reliable engine. They give up to five years warranty. The fuel consumption is still less tahn on fuel injected engines.
Old 30 March 2004, 20:38   #13
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
engine problem

Have you spoken to Ian at Liverpool Powerboats Bootle. He will sort you out, been an Evinrude agent for ever.
Old 31 March 2004, 06:12   #14

Hawkerj

Thanks for the explaination of what happened, all sounds familiar to my problems, for ages i was experiencing running problems and the day she finally died it did exactly what yours was doing, i was out with a friend and about 30 minutes into our trip the engine just died, we restarted and ran for a few minutes and exactly the same thing ? managed to tie the boat up to a spit marker and had a look at the engine, nothing obvious, and the engine wasn't overly hot, took us 30 minutes to restart it and started back for home very slowly.
Compression test comfirmed i'd lost 30 psi in one pot :-( not good, the engine came apart and the problem was obvious....oil starvation, and whats worse the same thing had at some point happened before as the sleeves had already been re bored out to maximum, now we could only assume that the previous owner had had the same problem and rather than addressing the route cause they had just fixed the symtoms, in actual fact the VRO oil injector had packed up completely and for this reason the engine was running with very little or no oil at all, i required a re sleeve which Evinrude said couldn't be done as they say you can re sleeve dry linned, though we proved them wrong by finding a local engineer willing to tackle the problem, the engine had new over sized pistons, rings and gaskets, cam followers and sleeves and we replaced the VRO with a straight fuel pump..... i now pre mix my oil before going into the fuel tank, its the only way i can be sure the engines getting the oil it needs, and after ten hours running it she now purres like a kitten, ok maybe not a kitten but a sick tiger's more the sound and runs like a dream.

I did look at replacing the engine when mine went wrong, i'd decided that whatever happened i'd fix it and if i'd bought new sell mine on as a rebuild, in the end due to costs etc i decided that as mines practically a new engine i'd stick with the devil i know.
Old 31 March 2004, 09:36   #15

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
My VRO has been run on pre-mix for at least the last two years (since I bought her). Absolutely no problems, except for the smoke on start up! There was a thread on here (can't find it now) that suggested that after 10 years or so it was best practice to disconnect the VRO as pre-mixing was cheaper than the inevitable failure of the oiling system at some point.

Purrs like a rather annoyed lion, compared to the Suzuki 4 stroke on my other boat which I have tried to restart whilst running on several occasions! (Must glance at the rev counter before reaching for the key!)

Our Yacht Club safety boat runs a 60hp VRO (still VRO) and it doesn't start or tickover as well as mine.
Old 31 March 2004, 10:10   #16

whitingiom/Hawkerj

VRO failures on rudes over a certain age seems to be a common thing, the really stupid thing was that a while back a very reputable Evinrude mechanic advised me to remove the VRO unit and run direct on pre mix, not wanting the expense or hassle of changing bits and mixing oil i ignored the advise and kept running the VRO, then later faced a hefty rebuild bill..... whata mistaka to maka .....!
Could have saved myself a lot of hassle and maybe a rebuild.

The new rudes do look nice and they seem to have got over there problems now, if it was my money though i'd either wait and see what comes out once others have run them for a while or go for one of the other big three that are tried and tested, i'm not slagging Evinrudes and dont relate my problems to the new engines but IMO if it were my money i'd be going for tried and tested over time !!

Mine on tick over sounds like a badly maintained chain saw, my mechanic says it sounds sweet, for an Evinrude that is !

R
Old 31 March 2004, 11:18   #17

Town: cheshire
Boat name: Magpie
Engine: 55hp yam
Jon I see you are in e/port, I am in runcorn, I get my small bits and bobs from frodsham water sports, the lady there gave me the phone number of the guy they recomend he is in chester very handy for you, the guys name is Keith Fairbrother 01244 332633 she says he is very, good I do most of my own work so have not used him.

Regards Nick.

P.S. jon what do you use your boat for.
Old 31 March 2004, 11:36   #18

Town: West London
Boat name: Asp
Make: A BLACK Stealthly Metzeler
Length: 4m + really stealthy
Engine: Johnson 70hp VRO - not steathly at all!
Mine starts & idles well, runs superb.
Also sounds like an angry lion when gunning it.
Doesn't like being restarted if idleing for a long time - when going through locks on the Thames..

Suspect due to plugs fouling up with oil!
standard 2 stroke problem..

Pete
Vro disconected
Old 02 April 2004, 04:51   #19

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkerj
don’t know if I can extend to the £6000 for the evinrude e-tec but it does look the part...
If you're budget conscious, then you can find some excellent 2nd and bargains from time to time. I was in BHG Marine yesterday and noticed that they had sold an immaculate looking Yamaha 70 BETOL for £1300 which seemed a reasonable deal considering how shiney it looked. It could be worth ringing around reputable dealers (stressing reputable!) to see what used motors they have.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2004, 05:46   #20

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Have a look on ebay

This chap has a very good rating!
You bidding for like new (motor has only 70 hours of salt woter use) 60 hp ELPTO MERCURY outboard motor. It is ready to use. All necessary included (prop, controls, all cables). It is runs perfect.
at £1600

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1

May be of some interest!
Nick