Old 10 January 2004, 22:37   #21

Town: Bath
Boat name: Pegasus
Make: Avon
Length: 5.6
Engine: Suzuki 90 4 Stroke
Thanks John.

Common sense should prevail I know..... and I should be going back to the dealer.... at least to ask their opinion. But I lost all confidence in their abilities during the buying process and promised myself that I wouldnt bother going back. This stubborness (pigheadedness??) on my part may end up costing me money unecessarily.

I will have a ponder, but Im not known for U turns! (Steering's too stiff!!!)

PS When you see the 'boat length' details change sharply upwards.....you will know that the wife has finally left me.
Old 10 January 2004, 22:39   #22

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
If you are that pig-headed, maybe take it to another dealer before spending £££'s.

Most will give their advise free if they think they might get a sale or some work (like altering steering or fitting new system...)
Old 11 January 2004, 00:32   #23

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Richard, how handy are you? Can you undo a nut & bolt?
Old 11 January 2004, 11:15   #24

I read BSc Mechanical engineering at Bath University and Im the director of an Engineering-based company..... so it's a silly question..... of course I can't

Seriously, my problem is usually one of time. I have been boating for more than 30 years in one way or another and like most on here the fiddling about and pre-season chores have always been a big part of the enjoyment (whether we admit it or not). These days I seem to be able to make so little time for these old pleasures that ive become one of those insufferable people who need to have everything done for them.

Having said that, one part of the job that i would be a bit apprehensive about is threading the tubing under the deck and out through the aperture aft. Its probably easier than it sounds and i guess you would use the old steeing cable as a draw wire.
Old 11 January 2004, 15:29   #25

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I was going to suggest you disconnect the drag link from the motor steering arm - one bolt. You can then tell whether the motor pivots freely, whether the cable is tight and/or both.
Old 11 January 2004, 19:19   #26

Thanks for that. I am in Plymouth tomorrow so if I get a chance, and if the promised storm isnt too horrendous, I will drop in to the boat and give that a go.

Rick
Old 25 January 2004, 12:32   #27

Having taken all the advice on board, Im going to do the sensible thing and give the dealer a chance to put things right. The boat really should be going back for other minor bits and pieces anyway, so it makes sense to make peace and try this before spending too much cash. If that fails then I will come back to John for that advice on Plan B.

If none of that improves the situation then I will go ahead and get the hydraulic system fitted.